MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael RosingHow to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 3, 2015 at 10:10:50 am

Getting back into Media 100 with the latest version after several years off, so a bit rusty.
I need to use some portrait format cellphone video. When I import that, rather than showing up with black bands on the sides it is bright green.
Is there a setting or technique to import vertical-format video with just black on the sides?

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 7:31:53 pm

Michael,

This Green might simply be a proxy color - in case, if you export out of Media 100 and play this in Quicktime Player, does it still appear as Green or does Quicktime Player view it as Black?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael RosingRe: How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 4, 2015 at 10:48:24 pm

When I export it it is still green in quicktime player.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 8, 2015 at 1:51:44 pm

This is a quick response off the top of my head: A work around is to use a composition clip the same length, and then import the footage in Boris Red [Boris Red will launch when you double click the composition clip], and if there's a green background there, you'll be able to change its colour, or if the green pillars are part of the actual video, you can crop those sides off.

I've got some vertical cellphone footage kicking about too...so when I get a moment later this afternoon, I'll try importing it, and have a fiddle around, and see if there's an easier way than using Boris Red.

Return to posts index

Michael RosingRe: How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 3:37:01 am

Thanks. The manual says that the sidebars should be black if you bring in video that is a smaller size, so I am just trying to figure out if I have something set wrong, or if the manual needs to be updated.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: How to avoid green side panels when importing vertical format video?
by on Sep 15, 2015 at 4:16:31 pm

Sorry for late response.

Just shot an 11 seconds vertical/portrait 720p video using a fourth generation iPod Touch, and transferred it to my Mac using iPhoto, and I've ended up with a h.264 1280x720 *.mov video with mono 44.100kHz audio.
Quicktime Player 7 reports a 26.81 FPS.

Imported it into Media 100.
A new project, and new program.
The project was set to use Apple ProRes 422 as the codec.
The program was set to 720p 25fps.
File->Import->Files...
Then the options I had were:
Media100/Quicktime
25 fps
Video 16-235.
Convert to 48000Hz
Honor file's aspect ratio [ticked].
Media Standard: 720p 25
Scale Image: Retain Size.

...and it comes in/imports with black pillars either side.
It is however, squashed / the wrong size.
Looks like it mistook it for 4:3 when creating the black borders.

After that, I created a composition clip, Edited it / launched RED, and imported the file in Red, then used the transform / scale tools, to bring it into the height range of 720p, and then saved, and clicked "apply" in the edit suite window. This gave me a black background with the correct video size/ratio also.

After that, I tried the exact same import settings in Media 100 again, but put a tick in the box:"Import Media to the Media Standard and Codec" - suddenly I had green pillars either side!

Running Media 100 2.1.6 on Mavericks 10.9.5.

What type of file, and what settings did you use?

Btw, this is a quick experiment - just killing time with the laptop while I wait for a coach back home. I'm not sure if I selected the best FPS to match the file's original, nor whether the colour range should have been 0-255.

Also, I ought to play around with the import settings to see if I can import it at the correct ratio... atm, only using Boris Red gave me the correct portrait phone ratio/size.

Will experiment more when I get home.

Yours,
Andrew.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2015 at 3:57:02 am

Thanks a bunch for that.

I'm on Yosemite 10.10.5, and using the latest version of Media 100.

My program was 720p 29.97. All of the clips were shot on iPhones, and ranged in size from 588 x 320 to 1920 x 1080.
All were imported using the Media 100 HD codec. The larger clips I imported at 4094 x 2048 so I could frame / resize them in Media 100 using the motion editor.
There small size clips were brought in at 1280 x 720, and some medium size clips were brought in at 1920 x 1080.
I had the video range set to 0-255, scale image set to retain size.

All showed up with green side panels in the bin, and the green remained in the program.

I don't have the ProRes codec on my system, but it sure sounds like the Media 100 HD codec is the culprit.

I'll have to try to obtain that ProRes codec. Thanks again for your experiment.

Michael

Return to posts index

by on Sep 18, 2015 at 3:12:26 pm

Actually, in my experiment, it was unticking the "Import Media to the Media Standard and Codec" tickbox that got rid of the green background.

Indeed, I've just tried it a second time, using the Media 100 HD codec instead of the ProRes codec, and am able to get a black background instead of green.

Try importing one of the files again, with that option unticked...and see how it goes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]