MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

XML export and project transfer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd McMullen
XML export and project transfer
on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:20:47 pm

I am trying to export a 2 hour program out of v2.6.1 and everytime I try it crashes the application?
Force rendered everything and still.Poof.

Additionally

Any tutorials or white paper on how to transfer a project from desktop to a MacBook.
I have the same material on two different hard dives and I can't seem to get the MacBook to recognize project.

Thanks

Todd McMullen
Cinematographer
ATX

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: XML export and project transfer
on Jul 23, 2015 at 5:12:21 pm

When you say export, which format do you want to export to? XML for AE? XML for FCP? Something else?

[Todd McMullen] "I have the same material on two different hard dives and I can't seem to get the MacBook to recognize project."

How was your material created? Did you make the copy of the media before or after importing/ingesting it into Media 100? When a media file gets imported into Media 100, a ID is written into the QuickTime header to make sure you always link to the right file even if you have multiple files with the same name on your drives. So if you copied the files before importing them into Media 100, your copied files will not have this ID, and therefore Media 100 will not relink to them.
Importing the copied files again into Media 100 will create a different ID inside the files, so this does not solve the relink problem. So ideally you have a copy of your media files on the 2nd HD after they have been imported into Media 100 (assuming you have imported the files in the first step)

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Jul 24, 2015 at 12:06:23 pm

thanks Floh
I am trying to create an XML for media 100 2.6.1 to send to my partner who will import and work with the program on his machine.He has the timecoded footage as well and hopefully he can re-link.

Basicly, I have a Documentary project that has been through every version of m100 since 1990 and I am trying to get it onto my macbook so I can take it on the road.
So, I guess the easiest question to ask is how can I get the program and the bins from one platform to another as I am also using a new HD for the MAcbook?
I have the same version on both systems.

best

tm

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 24, 2015 at 3:27:31 pm

Again, this only works if your partner has a copy of the footage after it has been imported to Media 100. But then you can locate the Bins and Program Documents in the Finder, and simply copy (or send by email or Dropbox or…) to him. If he has the footage (in the same state as you have) he can open the Program document, and it will relink to his copy of the footage.

Return to posts index

todd mcmullen
on Jul 24, 2015 at 4:41:34 pm

thanks
any idea why I can't do a successful xml export?

Todd McMullen
Flip Flop Films
Austin
http://www.toddmcmullen.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jul 25, 2015 at 11:54:32 am

Floh has pretty much already covered shifting the project to your MacBook, but to put it really simply, in just three steps:

1) Copy the program, bin, and project files from your computer, over to your Macbook.

2) Find the "Media 100 Media Folders" folder on your original hard drive, and inside should be a folder with your project name, containing all the media. Copy this folder to your new hard drive, whether it's the MacBook itself, or an external hard drive you'll be plugging into your MacBook.

3) Open the project file you copied to your MacBook, on your MacBook. It should list the copied bins and programs too (if not, you can always go to File->Import->Files->ImportType:All and then select the program and bin files you want to bring in to your project). When you open up a program, it will begin to search for the associated media, and relink it for you, whether the media is on the MacBook or on an external hard drive (if it's not relinking for some reason, go to Media 100 Suite->Preferences->Media ...and look to see if "Auto relink media" is ticked or not, and perhaps try some of the different media search and file search tickboxes to see if they help too).

Point two, assumes you had all the media in the Media 100 Media Folder, to copy over. Apologies if the media is on tape, or has yet to be digitised, or are digital movie files yet to be imported to Media 100 or some other situation - which may make copying slightly more complicated. If it's all in those folders though, with the ID Floh spoke of, relinking on a new machine should be a walk in the park, =).

I've no idea why the XML export is crashing, =P.
Hopefully someone else will chip in to help with regards to that.
As Floh says, it may be useful to know if it was an AE XML or FCP XML you were exporting, and any details about your system that might help others know under what circumstances this crash was occurring.

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Jul 30, 2015 at 11:11:25 am

What about the "Collect Files from Project" command?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]