MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 is making a Comeback!

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim WisemanMedia 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 5:28:12 am

Check out media100.com! Media 100 is now being actively marketed with Yosemite compatability for $99! This is excellent news!

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 5:34:14 am

Yay! I'm going to order it, as soon as I figure out what all else I need to go with it. I've been using old versions of Media 100 for a long time.

Return to posts index

Jack ShepardRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 3, 2015 at 7:24:21 pm

Such great news! And a really good move by Boris FX -- the technology is there hopefully it can catch on with a whole new crowd with the lower price.

Thanks Flo for all you work. Not entirely sure what your involvement was but it sure seems like you have been a force behind this.

Wow, this made my day!

Return to posts index

Mary CaldwellRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 4:14:12 pm

Hot diggety dog!

Mary C.
St. Louis Community College

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 4, 2015 at 8:18:25 pm

Really great that more people might be encouraged to try what we all regard as the best video editing system there is. However, I have real problems with going to Yosemite because I'm using quite a few out dated bits of software (BitVice for one) and I'm sure I'd find that they won't run with this new OS. Besides, everything works for me right now with Mountain Lion so I'm sticking. Great though if Boris continues to back Media 100 and the wonderful Floh Peters keeps an eye on it all, thanks a million Floh.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 5, 2015 at 5:51:27 pm

Michael, I don't think you have to move to Yosemite just to use the new Media 100 version.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 6, 2015 at 12:25:49 pm

Dave, what improvements or new feature is on version 2.1.6 that isn't on 2.1.5, other than compatibility with Yosemite?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jun 6, 2015 at 2:15:00 pm

Bug fixes, latest AJA driver support. But really my point is that Boris is clearly gambling to get some revenue from the product and that if people want to ever see another version they'd better support this one.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jul 11, 2015 at 10:56:00 pm

Michael, as was mentioned, you don't have to move to Yosemite if you don't want to. I believe 2.1.6 supports everything from Snow Leopard forward. We'll will have to wait and see what transpires for M100 after the El Capitan OSX upgrade is released in the fall.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 13, 2015 at 2:21:20 pm

Marcus, I'm quite happy with Mountain Lion, I'm doing all I need with my current set up. Still on the last of the MacPro 'Towers' too, as long as it keeps working!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jul 13, 2015 at 2:28:23 pm

Kudos Michael.

I've just put Media 100 2.1.6 on my MacBook Pro that's running Mavericks. I have toyed about with Yosemite a bit - booting into it via an external hard drive, but I'm all settled in on Mavericks, and will stick with it a while longer I think. Was cool getting the 64bit Red 5.5 they're throwing in for free though, even if it's still the 32-bit 5.1 that's integrated into Media100.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 9, 2015 at 8:25:43 pm

Hi Michael, :).

Don't you remember, Floh has BitVice running on Yosemite. He asked you if there were any issues you were particularly worried about, regarding BitVice on Yosemite (I gather he's willing to investigate if everything works okay, for you). See here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Media100Suite/permalink/1005076162855220/?c...

That said, I'm sticking with Mavericks as my main OS for the time being as I prefer it. I do have Yosemite on an external hard drive though, and boot into it from time to time, so it'll be good to have a version of Media 100 that will work on both, =).

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:21:22 pm

We are currently running two 2.1.5 licenses on our Mac Pros. Is the upgrade to 2.1.6 $99 or can I just DL the trial version to do the update?

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:27:02 pm

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "We are currently running two 2.1.5 licenses on our Mac Pros. Is the upgrade to 2.1.6 $99 or can I just DL the trial version to do the update?
"

Just download and install. Can be found in the FAQ on media100.com ;-)

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:39:15 pm

Thanks. I must have scrolled right by that in the FAQ and read everything else :^)

BTW, I did purchase another copy of Media100 for a 3rd Mac Pro that I have at home.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 4:46:17 pm

Is AJA LHi driver 12.2.1 compatible with Media100 2.1.6? The FAQ mentions 12.2.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 9, 2015 at 5:16:40 pm

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "Is AJA LHi driver 12.2.1 compatible with Media100 2.1.6? The FAQ mentions 12.2.
"

yes, it is.

Return to posts index

Will SpencerRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Jul 21, 2015 at 2:14:08 am

Hi Jim,

MEDIA 100 2.1.6 not running on Yosemite 10.10.4

I saw your Media 100 news and installed Media 100 2.1.6 on a Mac Mini running a fresh install of OS X Yosemite 10.10.4. I do not have any hardware attached as I wanted to see if the program would launch. It did. Then I imported an old (maybe 8 years old) Media 100 quicktime clip (audio and video) into the timeline and the application quit and will not re-open. I have uninstalled the program and re-installed. Still no luck. I contacted Boris but have had not joy there so I was hoping someone here could help.

To uninstall I used the M100 uninstaller. Do you know of any other files that I may have to remove manually. I thought maybe if I took everything off and tried again it might work.

Do you know of any specific issues with 2.1.6 on OSX 10.10.4.

The message I get is a 35 page Word Document equivalent. It is headed "Media100 Suite quit unexpectedly"

Another part of the document is as follows.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
terminating with uncaught exception of type CException_AC
abort() called

I would like to buy the program but first I need to get the trial working.

Thanks, Will

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2015 at 4:49:20 pm

[Will Spencer] "To uninstall I used the M100 uninstaller. Do you know of any other files that I may have to remove manually. I thought maybe if I took everything off and tried again it might work."

Hmmm, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6 works fine on 10.10.4 on my systems.

You could delete the Preferences from HD->YourHomeFolder->Library->Preferences->Media 100 Suite Preferences

Return to posts index

by on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:27:22 pm

Hi and many thanks for the feedback. It is good to know that 2.1.6 works on 10.10.4.

I followed up on your suggestion and it still won't launch but I did note the following.

When M100 launches it goes through several routines. When it gets to "Initialising preference menus" it quits.

Here are the M100 components I found on my system.

MacHD/Library/Preference Panes/Media100VideoOut.prefpane
MacHD/Library/Preferences/NO MEDIA 100 ITEMS in this folder
MacHD/Media100 Folder/No items in folder
MACHD/Library/Application Support/Media100/Effects Folder and Titles Folder and Transitions Folder
System Preferences Window - Media100 Video Out
MacHD/Library/Quicktime Folder/Media100 HD.Component and Media100 Video Output.component and Media100.Component.

I have uninstalled everything, restarted and reinstalled twice and I got this both times.
Of note is perhaps the fact that there are no Media 100 files in the preferences folder.

Do you have any Media 100 files in your Preferences folder?
The installation said it was successful but as you pointed in this direction maybe there is something missing.

Thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:39:47 am

Am not super knowledgeable, but just having a guess...
...since the problem occurred after a Quicktime movie was imported,
could the problem be with 32bit Quicktime?

To test this theory, you could try opening the old Quicktime Player or Player Pro. If you only have Quicktime X, then the older Quicktime can be downloaded here:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923
[It will appear in the Applications/Utilities folder, after install]

...I'd be curious as to whether that crashes or not, when you try to run it, or perhaps import or export with it.

I believe various 32bit Quicktime bits and bobs are what Media 100 attempts to load straight after Preferences - so it could be that that's what's causing the crash. In such a case, you could tweak and reinstall Media100 loads, but it wouldn't fix a Quicktime bug (at least, theoretically).

I'm in the realm of guesswork here.

Floh and BorisFX Support are the experts of course,
and I hope they help you get things going again.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:47:52 am
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:48:40 am

Btw...running 2.1.6 here on Mavericks, and no Media100 files in my
Macintosh HD -> Library -> Preferences
folder.
That said, I do have a folder full of preferences here:
Macintosh HD -> Users -> [my unique username] -> Library -> Preferences -> Media 100 Suite Preferences

Update: Just realised Floh already mentioned that path.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 5:51:58 am

Thanks Andrew.

I installed QT 7 but it still crashes as it starts to load preferences.

It is interesting that you have a folder which says Media 100 Suite Preferences. When I go to Library/Preferences - there are no Media100 files at all.

Although when I uninstalled and reinstalled it said the install was successful.

So maybe the problem is in the Preferences area. I am not sure what to do. Did your Media100 Preferences folder just install when you did the standard Media 100 install?

Will

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 6:15:03 am

It's hard to tell, as on my Mavericks system, I copied over programmes from Leopard - one of which was Media 100 1.1.3, and then when 1.1.3 didn't work on Mavericks, I uninstalled it, and installed the latest 2.1.6 - so there's a bit of history there!

However,
I have an external hard drive with two partitions - one with Yosemite without Media 100, and one with Yosemite with Media 100 - so I will boot into the external drive shortly, and play a little game of spot the difference, for you, =).

There aren't any issues with the permissions for preferences are there?

Did you ever try setting up a new OSX user account [System Preferences, then Users & Groups, then "+" to add a new account], logging out, then logging in as the new user, and running Media100?

Again...just guesswork.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 6:26:49 am

Thanks Andrew,

I m not aware of any issues with permissions for preferences.

I have not tried setting up a new account. I just spent quite a few hours installing Yosemite and then I noticed the Media100 Trial and thought I would check it out. Everything else is working fine under Yosemite, so I want to leave well enough alone with the rest of the system.

Media 100 launched at first and then when I added an old media 100 file it quit and I can not get it to re-open despite all the reinstalls etc. I am not sure if the importation of that file caused the problem or if it is a preferences issue.

It will be interesting to see if any Media 100 files show up in preferences under Yosemite in your system.

Will

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 6:53:20 am

I'll have a look and post back shortly.

I do recommend adding a new user - it's a really quick way to sort out any user-specific preference issues.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 9:01:46 am

So, there should be no Media 100 preferences in YourHD->Library->Preferences. But there should be files in YourHD->Users->YourHomeFolder->Library->Preferences. This Library folder is usually hidden on newer OS versions. You can access it by holding the Option key and opening the "Go To" Menu of the Finder. There your Library folder will show up as long as you keep holding the option key.

Delete the Media 100 Preferences from this folder and try again to launch the app. New pref files will be written on app startup.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 22, 2015 at 9:36:21 am

Floh and Andrew,

I can't thank you enough. Locating the hidden library and then the Media 100 Suite Preferences and relaunching the Media 100 application has fixed the problem and the Media 100 Application has launched.

I should have recorded the names of the files before I deleted as the preferences after my relaunching of the application are different to when the application would not launch. When it would not launch there was a sub-folder present.

I will start a new project and use new material to test it rather than use old Media 100 files.

Again,

Thank you very much

Return to posts index

Steve MullenRe: Media 100 is making a Comeback!
by on Sep 2, 2015 at 3:45:23 am

While the $100 price is great, for those of us that used the first version of Media 100 and have zero need to use Boris -- because we tend to be cutters and not FX folks -- it would be great if there was a free version of Media 100 (like Resolve Lite) with a $100 upgrade needed only to activate Boris.

Am I correct that there are no H.264-based codecs?

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2015 at 11:31:26 am

Media100 has a 60-day free trial period.

You can import/export with H.264 codec.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:16:41 pm

I know it has a 60 day trial.

But, like Resolve, Media100 is most likely going to be an "extra" NLE that one will explore over time. I spent almost a year working my way through Resolve before I came to trust it.

I knew John when I worked at Data Translation and you could say I wrote the book on Media 100 (e.g., Immediate100). But that was 25-years ago and I have no memory sense of M100. So by the time I found a time-slot to start using my 60-day trial, it was over. This also scuttled a review of Media 100 I had planned -- although it's not clear DV would consider one.

Today "free" is the way products are brought to market, e.g., LightPost and Resolve) is via a free version.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2015 at 7:39:44 pm

Media 100 was $595 before Christmas, $99 since May, they've just announced $49 for students and teachers, and free for educational institutions until the end of October...who knows what is next? A freemium model is interesting, although I'm not sure how it would work - I daresay they need to figure it out first, too, before offering it.

In the meanwhile - drop Macpromovideo an email - more than likely they'll be able to reset your demo period for you.

Although I was never able to afford the old $10,000 systems Media 100 used to come out with, I really value the software, and think $99 is worth it, especially with the free copy of Boris RED. The software is still a bit dated in some respects - you can tell it has only seen minor updates for the past couple of years, looking more like something you'd see in OSX Tiger, than Yosemite, - but everything works, and is a joy to use, =). You'll be back to being a Media 100 expert in no time, I'm sure, ^_^.

And if not - just post here, =D, and everyone'll try and help, =D. Yay! ^_^

And...wow! =D You wrote a production guide for Media 100!? =D
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:m7p76QAoNVsJ:https://w...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 2, 2015 at 8:12:02 pm

I used this when I taught Media 100 at Harvestworks in NYC. Many Media Composer editors were blown away by how much faster they could edit on the Media 100!

Of course, back then we did FX with AE. (Why I don't want to bother with Boris.)

Today one can also use AE to import CinemaDNG clips, grade, and export as ProRes.

Below the opening of my book:

imMEDIAte 100© Copyright 2002

by Steve Mullen

ImMEDIAte 100 has been designed to enable a video editor who is familiar with nonlinear, online editing concepts to quickly learn to edit using a Media 100. It assumes the editor has extensive Mac experience. It also assumes the Media 100 version 4.0 (or later) has already been installed on a Mac, an appropriate VCR has been connected, and you have been given a hands-on tour of the Media 100 human interface. After an introduction to the Media 100, each subsequent imMEDIAte 100 lesson provides information on how to perform a specific editing task.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]