MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100i and Mac Pro 1.1

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chad BurginMedia 100i and Mac Pro 1.1
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 1:54:47 am

ok, I know its older. But love my media 100 card. Just got a intel Mac Pro 1.1. Will the card work? Also. Cant find the original install disk. Have my serials. Where can I get the software? And whats the highest OS it will work with? Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Media 100i and Mac Pro 1.1
by on Mar 25, 2015 at 3:07:12 pm

I'm sure that the last OS for the older media 100 is 10.4 and the card runs on a pci slot not the pcie.
Even with the mac tower before the intel requires external pci expansion enclosures to work. The mac pro 1.1 can run just software alone without the pci cards. Inorder to output video, you will need an aja kona card or matrox and they sell much cheaper now on ebay.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Media 100i and Mac Pro 1.1
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 1:19:43 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:30:57 pm

Gerry's spot on.

The old cards are PCI,
your new Mac Pro uses PCIe.
There were some external PCI enclosures that would get you round that issue, but I don't know where you'd get them now.

The older "i" software went up to Media100i 8.2.3a, and last ran on OSX 10.4 Tiger.
You may be able to find the Media100i 8.2.3a software via torrent, as it used to be available freely for download on the Media100 website - acting as a demo unless you had the serial number. Otherwise, Borisfx may be able to provide it if you enquire.

Today's Media100 Suite 2.1.5 software, will run on Intel Macs, with Snow Leopard 10.6.8 or higher.

Media100 Suite 1.1.3 will run on Leopard 10.5.8.

I recently upgraded from Leopard to Mavericks, and found 1.1.3 no longer worked. I have to upgrade to 2.1.5 at some stage then, although I'll probably wait for the new Yosemite version due in a few months, and then upgrade to that, which should be good for both Mavericks and Yosemite, =).

Like Gerry says, you'll need AJA, Matrox, or BlackMagic cards to input and output video.
Here's Boris' page on what they support - although I'm not sure it's been updated since 2013...
http://www.borisfx.com/media100/Hardware-Options.php

I don't do any HD stuff atm, so I'm getting by fine just using Firewire for input/output for the time being.
Media 100 Suite supports DV and HDV over Firewire.
Any other forms of input or output, you'd need a solution from AJA, Matrox, et al...

Media 100 upgrade prices are on their shop:
http://www.borisfx.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=27
...although I've been quoted a much cheaper price when emailing them.
Their contact details are here:
http://www.borisfx.com/aboutboris/contact.php

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Media 100i and Mac Pro 1.1
by on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:12:00 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Mar 26, 2015 at 2:32:04 pm

Found I've got a 8.2.3a download on an old hard drive.

Apparently Quicktime 7.5 is the last that supports it too, going by the search results for 8.2.3 on this forum.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]