MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

cleaner render settings

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Fraziercleaner render settings
by on Jan 23, 2015 at 11:27:38 pm

I'm producing a number of videos to be used in different formats, so I must render them differently. They are all shot on XDCam and edited in HD.
When rendering to Windows Media format, I have the option of setting the source video as interlaced, with the output to be progressive (they will be played inside of a PowerPoint presentation) and they render clean, without the interlaced edges on anything that moves.
But when rendering to any of the Quicktime settings (to be played back as a stand-alone video from a Macbook Pro), I don't have the interlaced/progressive option, so any movement shows the interlacing issue.
If there's some hidden setting I'm missing, or another way to render these vids, I'm all ears.
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: cleaner render settings
by on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:38:03 am

In Quicktime Player 7, there's Export->Options->Video:Size->De-interlace Source.

Not sure what program you're looking at Quicktime settings in, however.

I'm also new to using OSX Mavericks (I've just upgraded from OSX Leopard) and haven't quite got my head around when to and when not to use the older Quicktime. I've no experience at DVD authoring either - was just browsing the forum to see if the answer to a friend's question about encoding was on here at all.

I did de-interlace in Quicktime Player 7 recently though, in the way described above.

I know options for Quicktime can look and behave differently from within different programs though, so perhaps you can tell us what you're using to view the settings?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:42:49 am

OH - this is in the Media 100 forum!

Haha... I thought I was in the DVD Authoring section, after looking into Michael Slowe's BitVice issue, ^_^.

Anyway, if it's Media 100, then export by ref, and then open in Quick Time Player 7, and use the Video Size options, in which you'll find the de-interlace check box.

These options are available when you export from Media 100 too, but they're more reliable when doing it from a byref file in Quicktime Player 7, outside of Media 100, I've found.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2015 at 8:45:52 am

I'm wondering the app you're using, actually Cleaner?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 25, 2015 at 12:05:10 pm

Just booted up an old OSX Tiger computer, and opened Discreet Cleaner 6.01.
In the settings dialogue box, the de-interlacing options are in the "Image" section. There's a de-interlace checkbox, and options for Eliminate Top Field, Eliminate Bottom Field, Blend, Intelecine, and Auto, plus an adaptive checkbox. These options appear to be the same whether you select Windows Media as the Output, or Quicktime as the Output. I haven't gone ahead and tried either yet though, =P. And I'm looking at the options in the full version. I did hear there was an EZ version of Cleaner once which had a wizard interface instead of just access to the settings.

Return to posts index

Robert StoneRe: cleaner render settings
by on Jan 28, 2015 at 8:23:08 am

You can also try this free software for de-interlacing. It works well and renders fast!

Peace and Blessings,

Robert C. Stone

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: cleaner render settings
by on Feb 2, 2015 at 8:42:57 pm

Andrew - I was exporting directly from M100, mainly because I was getting the same options there as when I opened a by ref file in QT Pro. Unfortunately, QT wasn't giving me clean results.

Robert - the JES software seems to be doing the trick! I've been able to get clean edges; now I just need to tweak output settings to get the blacks, gamma, file size, etc. where they will work best. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I appreciate the help from you both!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 2, 2015 at 11:05:56 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Feb 2, 2015 at 11:06:23 pm

Awesome to hear you're having progress, =).

Yes, the Quicktime options are the same within Media100, when you select to export to a Quicktime Movie - but Media100 will ignore some of the quicktime settings you choose, >_<, as I found when I wrestled with Gerry's cropping problem here:

Again - try exporting as a by ref from Media100, and then opening up in Quicktime 7 and using "Export.." to set your Quicktime settings. Although apologies if I've misunderstood, and you've already tried this, =S.

Rob's link is handy though, =). I've bookmarked the site!
Great to hear you've had success with it.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: cleaner render settings
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 2:26:16 pm

Can I please clarify something about exporting. I always choose 'other' under the type of export. That gives me every possible file option and I prefer to export to QT .mov ProRes 422 HQ. then I have the production file in a format that can be transported anywhere. What's the point of not going down that route, am I missing out on other options?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:11:37 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Feb 3, 2015 at 9:16:21 pm

Just that, the preserve aspect ratio via crop option was ignored via that route, when me and Gerry tried to preserve aspect ratio via crop, when exporting to a custom size.

Mark here is saying he's exporting a de-interlaced video - only to find it isn't de-interlaced! =P.
Hence considering alternative routes to go down.

Again, my suggestion would be to export to a by ref file, and try the Quicktime options again actually inside Quicktime 7. That way you can figure out, if Quicktime, or Media100, is the problem.

P.S. Update: Reading again, I see Mark is actually saying he couldn't see the de-interlacing option. Isn't it under the size setting in Quicktime? Have you had any luck with it in Quicktime itself?

Return to posts index

Mark FrazierRe: cleaner render settings
by on Feb 3, 2015 at 11:40:16 pm

Yes, the deinterlacing option is in the size window, but unfortunately it still doesn't deinterlace the video. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what it actually does....
The really sad thing is that when I export a Windows Media File (not an option for a couple of these videos, unfortunately) with Flip4Mac, there is a setting window for input (interlaced or progressive) as well as output (also interlaced or progressive) and that actually produces what I wish Quicktime would offer. C'mon Apple, don't let the PC folks get a leg up on you!

Return to posts index

by on Feb 4, 2015 at 4:30:54 pm

AGAIN: Have you tried exporting from Media 100 as a By Ref file, opening it in Quicktime Player 7 ( download here if you don't have it: ) THEN within Quicktime Player 7, going to Export->Movie to Quicktime Movie->Options->Size->De-interlace Source.

Pretty sure the checkbox doesn't work in Media100, but does work directly from Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Larry EveyRe: cleaner render settings
by on Feb 17, 2015 at 6:08:43 pm

Just a quick chime-in here..... Regarding export by ref, I have found an odd chroma shift at the entry and exit points of a composition track (word graphics) only when exporting "by reference". I would be careful and watch for that happening in your final file export rendering.

Michael, I too always export ProRes 422 as a Master file (in addition to backing up all project files) for archive purposes. Kind of like the BetacamSP master tapes we use to run of a completed project in the 90's.

Larry Evey
West Coast MEDiA, Inc.
MEDIA100 Since 1993
Sony PMW-F3 CineAlta/18-252 Sony optics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved