MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

2008 Media 100 HD Mac Pro DVD Rendering & Missing Video

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bart Sibrel
2008 Media 100 HD Mac Pro DVD Rendering & Missing Video
on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:47:17 pm

Greetings Everyone!

This is my first post, as I just joined "Creative Cow"!

Two questions please . . .

1) I have a 2008 version of Media 100 HD on a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 . I just came out of semi-retirement to edit a corporate video, and was wondering if there was a way to burn a DVD of the program internally from the program timeline to my computer's DVD drive?

2) My program only has dissolves as effects (Fast FX) and I do color correction EQ on every scene, so even though the program plays these dissolves and color correction without rendering, when I exported the program to a Quicktime file, it forced a rendered all of the the dissolves and picture EQ settings. Subsequently, all of these scenes turned black. When I went to the media hard drive to see there were "effects" files rendered, there were, yet I still had a program with all black video. What am I doing wrong & where did my video go?

Thank you!

Bart Sibrel
Sibrel.com

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: 2008 Media 100 HD Mac Pro DVD Rendering & Missing Video
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:01:22 pm

[Bart Sibrel] "1) I have a 2008 version of Media 100 HD on a Mac Pro with 10.5.8 . I just came out of semi-retirement to edit a corporate video, and was wondering if there was a way to burn a DVD of the program internally from the program timeline to my computer's DVD drive?"

There is no built-in way to burn from Media 100 to a DVD burner. You either have to export your timeline and use a 3rd party app (iDVD, DVDStudio Pro, Encore,…) for that. Or you need a DVD recorder that works like a video deck to record your output from your Media 100 system to a disc.

[Bart Sibrel] "2) My program only has dissolves as effects (Fast FX) and I do color correction EQ on every scene, so even though the program plays these dissolves and color correction without rendering, when I exported the program to a Quicktime file, it forced a rendered all of the the dissolves and picture EQ settings. Subsequently, all of these scenes turned black. When I went to the media hard drive to see there were "effects" files rendered, there were, yet I still had a program with all black video. What am I doing wrong & where did my video go?"

Hmm, this sounds like a bug. What codec did you render to (under Media 100 Suite->Project Settings->Codecs)? And what version of Media 100 are you using?

Return to posts index

Bart Sibrel
on Jan 12, 2015 at 3:39:02 pm

I have a 2008 Media 100 HDE using DVC Pro Codec

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:07:29 am

Gosh! That sounds scary!

I had a few problems in the past like that:
With Media 100 Suite 1.0.1:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/865774
And Media 100 Suite 1.1.3:
https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/4/867234

I remember I seemed to work around it somehow - if I recall correctly, it was by making some minor change in the window that appears after double clicking your clip or effect, and then clicking apply again before clicking render. If doing a Boris Red effect, you can save the effect in Boris, and if using ColorFX you can save presets. Doing this means, if it renders black, and you have to try again, you don't have to start from scratch with your effect or colorfx.

If something has rendered black, the rendered version will be in the rendered media subfolder of your project's media folder. This means two things - firstly, you can try importing the clip in, and seeing if the clip itself really is black (according to my old forum post a while back - I actually found the rendered clips to be fine - oddly enough).
Secondly, it means your original footage before rendering, is still in the main folder. You may be able to swap out black bits in your timeline, with the original footage again, and try again.

If things are buggy, you can try in future to render as you go, that way - if something renders black, you can quickly undo and try to render it a second time, whilst you're there working on that transition or color fx. You can save colour fx presets to save you losing work.

I'm not a knowledgeable expert like Floh - he may be able to help you solve your bug.

All I can say, is, that your original media should still be somewhere in your media folder on your hard drive, [or perhaps you also have the original clips in a bin window somewhere?], and I once had a rendering quirk in Suite 1.1.3 that I managed to find a way of working around - I haven't used 1.1.3 for a while now, so can't remember the specifics.

If the problem persists, you could try contacting Boris FX to see if they know of a way to solve such a bug, or can give you a deal on the latest software (2.1.5), which would hopefully be bug free (you can test it with a 14 day trial - but be careful, in that projects saved with newer versions of Media100 won't open in older versions - and be sure to make sure auto-save is disabled, so you you don't accidentally save anything you need to use in your older HDe software. Best bet is usually to start a new project when using the demo software, or make copies of your old project, before tinkering with it).

Anyway...now I'm waffling, ^_^.

I'm a few days late to the conversation. Perhaps there's been some good news in the meanwhile, and you're no longer having this bug? =).
Hope everything worked out okay.

Return to posts index

Bart Sibrel
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:27:05 am

Thank you for your help!

Do you know if my Media 100 HD will import from a "Mini DV" Camcorder through the computers USB for digitizing?

Thank you!

Bart

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:42:42 am

I don't know - I've only used Firewire before.

I'll ask around for you, and get back to ya':
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Media100Suite/permalink/1002564596439710/

Or you could just try it and see, =).
Certainly, it'll support DV.
Just a question of whether it'll support bringing DV in via usb or not.

I use a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter myself, but then my MiniDV camera is an old one, with just Firewire and no USB on it.

Return to posts index

Bart Sibrel
on Jan 20, 2015 at 12:52:45 am

Your media 100 has a firewire in and out?

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:00:36 am
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:03:31 am

Yeah.

After Media 100 HDe, Media 100 went software only, and yet would still support the AJA LHe card that came with HDe, as well as hardware from other providers such as Matrox and BlackMagic...and... the Mac's own Firewire ports - or in my case, the Mac's Thunderbolt port with a Firewire adapter attached, ^_^.

There was also a DV daughter board for older P6000 cards in Media100i systems - these don't support HD like your HDe system does, but the DV daughterboard allowed you to import standard definition DV footage via Firewire at least - although it was through a port on the card, and not through the Mac's Firewire ports.

If you've a Firewire port on your Mac, today's Media 100 Suite 2.1.5 ( free 15 day trial available here: http://www.borisfx.com/media100/ ) will import DV footage through it fine (and still support your HDe card too I believe). Only thing to watch for, is a new version of Media 100 with Yosemite support may just be a month or two away, so if you're thinking of upgrading, you might want to wait for more news on that potential new release first.

Return to posts index

Bart Sibrel
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:06:20 am

Do you know if my present system will import through a firewire port on my computer from a dv camcorder?

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:19:05 am
Last Edited By Andrew Mehta on Jan 20, 2015 at 1:27:02 am

Go to Media 100 -> Preferences -> Video input, and see if there's an option for Firewire DV. Like in this video at 2minutes 55seconds:
http://www.borisfx.com/videos/Media100/Getting-Started.php

If it won't for whatever reason, it most likely will play it once digitised from another program.

There should be something online saying if HDe supports DV or not.
Wikipedia claims Media 100 HD 11.5 supports DV through Firewire:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_100
...but that's Wikipedia. Need to find some promotional material from the time to verify....

...but like I said, you can just look for the option in your program.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Jan 20, 2015 at 2:02:56 am

Yeah, it looks like Media 100 HD 11.5 supported DV via Firewire:
http://cdn.borisfx.com/borisfx/download_files/Media100ReleaseNotes.pdf

Not sure what version you've got, but as mentioned, you can look in the preferences to see if a Firewire option exists under Video In.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]