MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Elliptical Matte

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry CondezElliptical Matte
by on Oct 29, 2014 at 12:52:44 am

Can someone share me an easy way to create vignette in Media 100 over video? I tried in photoshop and blur it in Boris fx but I dont like how it looks. There might be a better way to create a better looking vignette. Thanks

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Elliptical Matte
by on Oct 30, 2014 at 4:31:20 pm

If you want to darken the outside video, the most flexible way would be in Red with the BCC 3Way Color Grade filter.

Select your clip in the Timeline and press CMD-Shift-E to load it into Red. In Red, apply a BCC 3 way Color Grade filter to the layer (from the Filters->Colors and Blur Menu).
In the 3 way CC controls, go to the "Mask" tab and set it to "Egg Shape". Use the controls in the Composite window to set it to a shape you like.
Then go to the "Outside Correction" tab, and either bring down the "Exposure" or use the Gamma/Gain sliders (under the "wheels) to darken your outside clip. Using the Feather slider in the Composite window or in the Mask controls you can set the softness of your vignette transition.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Elliptical Matte
by on Oct 31, 2014 at 3:49:17 pm

Hi Floh,
Thank you so much for your time. That was a great mini tutorial you just gave me and found some use of controls within Red. I appreciate your help a lot. Hoping someone stumbled on this post, its a great find.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Elliptical Matte
by on Nov 1, 2014 at 12:05:55 pm

That's it Gerry, a great Tutorial, thank you Floh, I've printed it out for experiments. Thank goodness Floh seems to have returned to the fold, I know he's been busy working outside of his home town, Munich.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Elliptical Matte
by on Nov 2, 2014 at 8:29:44 pm

Again, an awesome tutorial Floh, =).

Hope you don't mind. I went ahead and shared it on the Facebook Group.

I also didn't know the exact definition of the word "vignette" so gave it a google, and came across this on the Boris FX website, which shows the 3 Way Colour filter being used as Floh describes, =):

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved