COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mehta
Media100 Suite Facebook Group
on Oct 17, 2014 at 6:42:00 pm

Visit here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Media100Suite/

....then click the "Join Group" button.

Once you've joined you can contribute with your own posts, pictures, tutorials, or links, =).
Or just network with other Media 100 users.

Feel free to share the group url, and invite any Media100 users you may know, to the group, =).

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
Re: Media100 Suite Facebook Group
on Oct 17, 2014 at 11:01:30 pm

Thank you, Andrew, so very much!

To all: The Facebook group in no way replaces this COW forum. It is simply an additional tool for the Media 100 community. You may choose to avail yourself of it. or not. That's up to you.

It will take time for the page to grow and amass content, but I would venture that before this time next year it will be a place that you enjoy visiting and look forward to contributing to.

Do not expect this effort in any way to influence BorisFX's handling of the Media 100 suite, for better or worse. Outside of Floh, no one from BorisFX has posted on the COW forum in three years. So don't expect anyone from BorisFX to post on the Facebook page either (or decide to add new features to M100).

(As an aside, a few days ago I did ask Boris Yamnitsky about Soundbite and Media 100. Based on his response I asked him to have someone from BorisFX officially post something here. According to Mr. Yamnitsky, the program works with Media 100, even though the official information only mentions FCP and Premiere and has never mentioned M100. So we will see if the company makes that official via this forum).

But as far as the Facebook group, the page is a great place to post not only videos and comments but also still shots and pictures of you and your editing suites/setups, frames from your completed or in-progress projects, your timelines, shots of really cool effects or compositing that you are doing with RED (or Media 100), or even production shots; the pictures don't all have to be post-prodution related.

And don't forget Throwback Thursdays on Facebook! Some of you are long-time Media 100 users. Do you have pictures from the '90s or early 2000s or your productions or editing away on Media 100 that you can share, back when you had hair and large hard drives were measured in MB (not GB or TB)?

One thing the FB group may be able to do is provide enough information and encouragement to other users to upgrade to the current M100 version

As far as videos, continue to use YouTube and Vimeo as you normally would but just let people know about the links to the videos through this forum and the Facebook group

You can can even talk about (and show) other applications that you are using as part of your workflow.

I humbly suggest that this Facebook group could be the biggest thing to happen to Media 100 in 3 years, but that's only if you make it so.

Now go join and post!

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:21:44 am

Calm down Marcus, =).

But thanks for joining, =D.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 18, 2014 at 11:01:06 am

Andrew and Marcus. I share your enthusiasm for Media 100 (I wouldn't dream of editing on anything else - couldn't, too old!), but why Facebook? Surely this forum can do all the things that Marcus mentions. I imagine that you'll say that Facebook reaches more people, but are they likely to be interested in film editing?

I think that I'm a member of Facebook because I keep getting messages that so and so wants to 'talk' to me. It's all a mystery and I ask myself whether I want to get all these mails and then have to spend even more time at the computer dealing with it all. I only started this computer lark when I had to edit digitally rather than with film in the late 90's. Can you please advise and explain what Facebook is? I don't 'twat' or other odd activities and I'd rather not really.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:00:56 pm

Don't worry about Facebook if it's not your cup of tea, =).

If I do any really cool tutorials, I'll pop back to these Cow Forums and post them here too, =).

Atm, there's only four of us on the group anyway.

I just started it because there was that huge thread with posts dating back to August - and it just seems silly to talk about something for so long without actually doing it, ^_^.

Facebook Groups don't necessarily reach more people, as they operate on an invite basis - so people in the group can invite other members, but people won't necessarily stumble upon the group unless they're specifically searching for it in the groups section, or they've seen a link on the Cow, =).

A Facebook Page could potentially reach more people. BorisFX even have an official one for Media 100 which they haven't updated since 2011, ^_^. But a page tends to be about one person or company sharing posts to everyone who liked the page. A group however, is more like a community, where everyone's posts can be seen. Of course, you can turn off notifications if it ever gets annoying, ^_^.

Nah, you don't want to get into Facebook, ;-), it can be addictive and distracting, lol. But if you're already on it, this group could prove convenient =).

Facebook is mainly just for staying in touch with friends.
The main features are a newsfeed - which shows what all your friends have posted; messages - which are just like email, only you never see any spam; and the ability to share - if you see something online that your friends might like, it's easy to post to Facebook so your friends can see it too.

Don't worry about twitter. Twitter limits posts to 140 characters - so you can see more, with less depth. It's good for staying up to date with whatever sources of information you want to follow. Or quickly asking someone a question, but it doesn't have the depth of Facebook. Lots of teenagers have moved to twitter though, because their parents are on Facebook, which can be embarrassing sometimes, ^_^.
Twitter gets mentioned a lot in the media, because news breaks on it quite quickly, so journalists and people in the media end up using it a lot.

Hope that helps, =).
Those are just my opinions on Facebook and Twitter btw.
Wikipedia will have more information about both, hopefully without personal bias, ^_^.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 18, 2014 at 5:12:21 pm

You boys are just great, and so kind and generous to an old man!

Yes, you can do whatever you want with my picture, one of my daughter's friends, who is a photographer, did it. My edit set up is in quite the normal mode: MacPro (not the very new one), external drives (10TB's raided so about 5 usable), two HP screens (would like the super Apple ones), a Sony HD monitor and two Edirol speakers. Plus, of course, Media 100, BitVice, Titanium Toast Pro 11, Studio Pro, Compressor, a Sony DSR20 DVCAM tape deck, (legacy stuff still on tape as well as files). As we all know, editing is the art, most anyone nowadays can shoot the stuff.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:17:43 pm

Ahh! You are indeed on Facebook! =D

With the most kick-ass profile pic I've ever seen.

You claim to not fully get tech like Facebook and Twitter, yet there you are infront of two massive computer screens, looking like a digital pro, editing video, on Media 100, =).

What an awesome shot, ^_^.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=360170654135034&set=a.3601706741350...

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 12:49:47 pm

Can I share the photo on the Facebook group?

=).

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:15:31 pm

Michael, your Facebook profile pic is great! Please give Andrew permission to us it on the group page Let me ask you to join the group page. If after a couple of months you don't like it, you can "un-join..

Andrew wrote a great description of Facebook, but you won't really understand until you experience for yourself.

As Andrew mentioned, there are only four of us in the group at this point. But that's okay. I knew that it would be slow going at the beginning. But I expect the story to be different in a year's time.

Thanks, Andrew!

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:17:51 pm

Andrew, I do have Facebook question. The items i shared for the Media 100 group page also ended up being shared on my personal page. How do I prevent that from happening in the future?

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:43:54 pm

The group is currently set to Public, so anyone can see what's posted in the group. I could change it to a closed group, so only members of the group can see what's posted.

None of what I posted appeared on my timeline.
Not sure why it appeared on yours then.

You will see what you post to the group in your own newsfeed, but that's just Facebook showing you your own posts to the group. Your friendslist shouldn't be seeing it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:45:58 pm

No worries Marcus, =). Thanks for your posts!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 20, 2014 at 8:45:10 pm

OK fellows, I'll try and join by following the original instructions, but, what happens to this forum on The Cow? We do really want to encourage and promote Media 100, we mustn't let it slip away out of sight.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 20, 2014 at 10:24:35 pm

This forum carries on. We are not leaving it. We simply have an additional tool in the box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]