MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 tapeless workflow.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mehta
Media 100 tapeless workflow.
on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:33:52 pm

Hi, =).

If I was to start a new project, and go for a tapeless workflow, and rent a camera especially for the project.... which tapeless technology would best integrate into a Media100 workflow?

Footage would either be SD or low HD such as 720p.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Media 100 tapeless workflow.
on Aug 22, 2014 at 9:43:00 am

As far as I am aware most of us users of Media 100 have a tapeless workflow and have no problem importing the files. Speaking personally, I shoot on a Sony EX 1 on to the Sony S x S cards. Using the Sony Transfer software I then import whatever sections I need of the clips that show up within the Transfer application. On import Media 100 renders the footage into your chosen codec for a given project and it appears in an open bin as hitherto. There's hardly any difference from what we did with tape. I don't think, however, that Transfer as such is still currently available, you will need something like Sony Content Browser, this is a bit more complicated but, amongst many other tasks, it does much the same thing.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Aug 30, 2014 at 7:17:03 pm

For the majority of my projects now, I pull footage from either P2 (Panasonic HD) or SDHC (Canon DSLR). The import is fast and easy and the footage edits great.

I've also had good experiences using footage from BlackMagic's Hyperdeck SSD recorders.

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.8
Dual 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #3
---------------------
MacBook Pro OS10.9
13" Retina, Late 2013
Single 2.4GHz Intel-core i5 (4-cores)
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.4
No input card

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 18, 2014 at 3:48:58 pm

Hi Ben. How are things in your part of the Lone Star state? Are you managing to keep all three of your M100 edit systems busy?

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Oct 18, 2014 at 11:54:15 pm

Marcus,

I'm living in Colorado now, but was just in Texas from Oct. 1st through the 13th. I have some industrial clients there that I edit for (through my former agency employer). And, I have my own freelance clients that I work with in Colorado.

I can definitely say that my edit systems are keeping busy. In the last month, I've posted sixteen (16) industrial metallurgy training programs, a hand-signal training video for gantry operators offloading container ships, a Tag / Lock program for a refinery, a city's downtown-rebuilding community update video, a Habitat for Humanity program featuring a visit by the state Governor (CO), one TV commercial for a furniture store and another spot for a hospital.

The two desktop systems (in Texas and Colorado) get the most use. My laptop system sees very little action as I only use it when I have to bring a project to a client versus them coming to me.

Most of what I do isn't served to a large audience - internal corporate communication and local/regional TV. However, I can at least claim some national/global distribution. I've had output from my M100 show on the Maury Povich show, QVC, the Pentagon Channel, and the American Forces Network. Through it all, no one has ever complained about the quality of the video they received. No one.

I know I'm happy with the performance of my systems. It's a shame that M100 / BorisFX isn't more supportive of the platform. But, I'm glad it hasn't been completely abandoned.

I'm actually in a mentoring program with a local high school. The student I'm working with opted to purchase a M100 license versus one for Premiere or FCP because she liked how fast I could edit with it.

I appreciate the community we've built. It's nice to know that all of you are out there.

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.8
Dual 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #3
---------------------
MacBook Pro OS10.9
13" Retina, Late 2013
Single 2.4GHz Intel-core i5 (4-cores)
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.4
No input card

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 1, 2014 at 9:11:32 am

You can bring in nearly all tapeless formats; but some are supported natively and some need to be converted. If you shoot a lot of material you will probably be better off with a format that is supported natively in Media 100, like ProRes, DVCProHD, AVC Intra (via Plugin),…

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]