MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Suite 1.1.3 & Mavericks dilema, =S.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Mehta
Suite 1.1.3 & Mavericks dilema, =S.
on Aug 20, 2014 at 1:08:18 am

So my 2008 MacBook Pro, running Leopard, with Media 100 Suite 1.1.3, died. =S.

Good News -> Apple upheld a Consumer Law Claim, and I'm getting a brand new MacBook Pro replacement, free of charge, =S.

Bad News -> It comes with Mavericks. >_<. Only Media 100 Suite 2.1.4 & 2.1.5 work on that OS. =S. And I currently lack the £370 to upgrade. >_<.

I can still run Media100i 7.5 on an old G4 of course... but it is 2014, ^_^.... so maybe I shouldn't, ^_^.

Actually - I ought to ask. 7.5. is very fast and responsive, mainly due to the hardware (P6000 card). I always found Suite 1.1.3 a bit laggy, because it was software only. Does that lag go away when you invest in hardware such as the MXO2? [Not that I can afford one of those atm either, but just wondering... ^_^]

Also, while I await this new Mavericks MBP, I've got my G4 running some old software under Tiger 10.4.11. Of course, Suite 1.1.3 won't run under Tiger. This G4 has a P6000 in it, and is on dual boot into OS9 / Media 100i 7.5 =). Would love to get 8.2.2 working on it, in Tiger, ^_^, if it's possible. [I have a bootable Jaguar volume on an external hard drive too, running Autodesk Cleaner, ^_^].

Anyway, I thought it a bit pointless just moaning on a forum, so I've quickly fired off an email to BorisFX to ask them what my options are, =).

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Suite 1.1.3 & Mavericks dilema, =S.
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:30:12 am

[Andrew Mehta] "Good News -> Apple upheld a Consumer Law Claim, and I'm getting a brand new MacBook Pro replacement, free of charge, =S."

Great. Is it a current generation? If it is an older version, you could revert to an older OS. MacTracker tells you what the minimal OS for your MBP is. You can look up the model identifier in the System Profiler.

[Andrew Mehta] "ctually - I ought to ask. 7.5. is very fast and responsive, mainly due to the hardware (P6000 card). I always found Suite 1.1.3 a bit laggy, because it was software only. "

That should not be the case. Your "old" MacBook is probably not the quickest. But except during a time when Media 100 transitioned from hardware-based to software-only, I had the feeling that the new software-only systems are much faster than the old ones. A I/O hardware will not help there.
If you got a new MBP, you could download the 2.1.5 trial version to see how this performs on your new MacBook Pro; this way you at least can compare it to your 7.5 setup.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
Re: Suite 1.1.3 & Mavericks dilema, =S.
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:39:19 pm

Media 100 got back to me with a great deal, so kudos to them!

My money situation is still appalling, but the new Mac Book Pro won't arrive for another fortnight any how, so I'll wait for it to arrive,
try the trial on it,
and that may buy me enough time to get my finances in order.

Lag wise, I used to find stopping and starting [i.e. hitting space bar] and jumping forward or back by one clip [option left and option right, etc] used to be a little laggy. Everything else, such as effect rendering, was pretty fast, =).

Will look forwards to seeing how much better the latest build performs on the MBP, which, to answer your question, will be a current generation.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]