MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Error of type -1409

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Milligan
Error of type -1409
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:23:13 am

I'm trying to resurrect an old project from 2001 and when I try to open a timeline I get the following error message:

Can anyone provide any clues to what the problem is?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
Re: Error of type -1409
on Feb 15, 2014 at 4:56:05 pm

-1409 indicates that the file fork doesn't exist. That probably refers to the resource fork, where M100 stores a lot of things it needs. In turn, that probably means that you archived the file to a server that doesn't support resource forks, i.e. a non-Mac volume.

If it's a media file, you can usually re-import it and the resources will be created again. If it's a project, bin or program, there is no recovery other than to find a non-corrupted version (from a .zip archive, or a Mac volume).

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Feb 15, 2014 at 10:04:58 pm

Thanks for your response Dave… it's enlightening and much appreciated. I'm still perplexed though. It's a program timeline from a project that was saved to a couple of Mac formatted drives (as well as onto a CD). When I transferred the project to my current system (a 2012 IMac) the project opens, as do the bins, but none of the program timelines will open… I get that error message. The same thing happened when I tried my 2008 MacPro. I actually still have the same MacPro G4 that I used when the project was created in 2001 - dusted it off, fired it up, loaded the project and everything including the program timelines opened up no problem. I had saved all the media files onto discs (CDs) and loaded them onto an external drive connected to the G4, added the new drive into the 'Media Locations' for the project, but when I asked to re-link the media it couldn't - everything came up missing. I tried importing a few files and that was no problem, but re-linking to an open timeline (or a bin) failed. Could that be because the media files were saved to discs rather than a hard drive and the required resource forks are missing? I thought I was 'safe at home' when the G4 opened everything, but not being able to re-link the media proved me wrong. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again for your help.

Gary

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Feb 15, 2014 at 11:19:09 pm

I think the CD is the problem. It's not a Mac volume, so files you burn to it have to be zipped or the resources are lost.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Feb 16, 2014 at 5:17:43 pm

Well… why didn't you tell me that in 2001 when I thought it was a good idea?! ;-) I'm glad I didn't do that for every project I worked on - only a very few. My theory at the time; the camera tapes are the archive media (as long as my clients keep them) and that has worked for a couple of re-visits. For this one, someone is looking for a few excerpts from a program. I guess my plan 'B' will have to suffice (dust off the BetaCam SP master).

Thanks Dave.

Gary

Return to posts index

Lukkee Chong
on Mar 7, 2014 at 1:50:52 pm

A trick I learnt is to create a zipped archive of anything Media 100 for transfer by FTP or cd. Apparently there are lots of little "sub files" that can go missing.
lc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]