MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Re-Link/find media not working.

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Crowe
Re-Link/find media not working.
on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:27:46 pm

I have been cutting a rough cut of some short spots on a 17" macbook pro. Everything (originnal footage files in ProRez HQ 422 1080 25p, program files, bins, media100 folders and project clapper etc ) is on a lacie rugged drive and I'm connecting via firewire 800.

Ok, so I show the client the rough cuts on this set up everyone is happy campers. Then I pack it down and reboot it in another office 20mins later and M100 cant find the files, I've tried re-link media and find media but M100 takes ages to do the search and keeps coming back with missing files. Also it appears it doesnt even know the lacie drive is there! any help with this greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah still using M100 Suite 1.7.1 and OSX 10.6.8

Regards
Paul

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
Re: Re-Link/find media not working.
on Jan 30, 2014 at 9:59:50 pm

Have you tried adding/changing the MEDIA LOCATIONS manually in PROJECT SETTINGS and resetting the MEDIA DESTINATIONS?

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:32:36 pm

Thanks for your reply Jaeson.

Good advice... doh - i didnt think of that I've not really had this problem before and when I have M100 has always found the media quite quickly.

I've changed the settings manually as you suggested and am trying to re-link at the moment. M100 still insists on searching the Main HD (which shouldnt have any of the project data on it and i didn't select or add) it's taking ages to search it, but I'm hoping when its done searching that it'll take a look on the lacie drive that I selected - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers
Paul

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Jan 30, 2014 at 10:43:18 pm

If you only added the PROJECT MEDIA folder manually, then M100 might still be looking for the RENDERED MEDIA folder which is a sub-folder of the above.

Also, there's an option under MEDIA 100 PREFERENCES for MEDIA searches. If one of the options there is turned off, M100 might not be looking in the external drive when you do the auto search.

I prefer to tell M100 manually where to look as the exhaustive searches tend to take a long time.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:09:40 pm

Ok M100 didn't find anything (dont think it saw Lacie Drive) but some of those options you mentioned in project media were turned off, so I've turned them all on and started another search. M100 still searching Main HD which is boring but im happy to leave it looking through there if it eventually finds the lacie drive.

Hope this works. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your help.
p

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:46:48 pm

OK... hmm, its fair to say I'm getting a bit frustrated now.

Media 100 still cant find the media! I know its there becasue I can see it right there in the folder "Media 100 Media FOlders" that it sets up automatically. And the M100 project is happy enough to boot up from that same Lacie drive. Wot gives?

Any other ideas greatly appreciated.

Regards
P

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Jan 30, 2014 at 11:51:41 pm

Something amiss with the file/folder permission settings? Anything locked on the drive?

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:17:23 am

That stuff is all open and as free as a bird - nothing locked and no special permissions.
I might try copying everything onto another drive and opening it from there.

Cheers
p

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Jan 31, 2014 at 12:50:24 am

There were some fixes to media search in 2.1.5. If you can't upgrade, try changing your media search settings to not exclude any volumes. Well, maybe exclude the Main HD since it takes so long. Also there is a "skip this volume" button in the search progress window so you can override the lengthy volume.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:13:02 am

Thanks for that Dave, I couldnt find the "skip this volume" button. Is that on the upgrade I wonder?

In the meantime I have copied everything over to another drive and M100 now finds all the media and seems to be behaving normally. Whilst I'm greatfull I've worked around it for now, I am slightly disturbed that M100 decided to all of a sudden not find a drive that I had done an entire job on.

Any thoughts on this development greatly appreciated.

Regards
Paul

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:12:03 am

Paul,

I travel between offices in Texas and Colorado and typically use the Lacie drives for my transfer workflow all the time.

Your experience in having to relink the media when you go between computers sounds similar to my experience.

I have to relink the media from the HDD's when going between systems. The media search doesn't seem to find the external HDD and media folders on it's own (or I get bored waiting for it to do the search and just cancel it and/or tell it to 'Skip' all of the drives).

Manually relinking the files is the way to go. (CMD-'M') Navigate to your Lacie drive and select the project media folder AND then go back and also add the 'Rendered Media' folder.

This is fast and immediate (for me at least) and always brings me back to where I left off.

FWIW - It seems odd to me that you would have these issues. It sounds like you're doing everything right. I guess it could be related to the OS and/or version you're using. I just wanted to chime in as someone that uses a similar workflow.

- Ben

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66GHz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.8
Dual 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #3
---------------------
MacBook Pro OS10.9
13" Retina, Late 2013
Single 2.4GHz Intel-core i5 (4-cores)
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.4
No input card

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Jan 31, 2014 at 4:16:42 am

I think you're describing the behavior of the bug that should be fixed in 2.1.5.

I don't remember when the skip button was added.

Return to posts index

Paul Crowe
on Jan 31, 2014 at 10:33:52 am

Thanks so much everyone, this has all been very useful. I'm definately gonna look into an upgrade when I've got some downtime. Cheers paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]