MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Deciding what to get next for legacy and future editing

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
GregDeciding what to get next for legacy and future editing
by on Jan 9, 2014 at 2:23:33 am

Here's the quick information.
I have about 2000 hours of legacy video on Hi-8 and SVHS that I want to transfer to a digital archive. I think I want to use something like the Media 100 85/kb frame legacy rate. I have a couple older media 100 systems, which won't work well, clip limit lengths and really old technology doesn't make them practical. And I have a 2007 Macbook with Media 100 V1.13 on it.

I can edit three or four streams of HD video using my Media 100 laptop, a simple Macbook. But I have to transcode the video from AVCHD to some quicktime format which takes time and more importantly a lot of drive space. I need to be able to do two things and want to have a laptop at least for future editing and some editing projects. I want to be able to edit AVCHD natively without transcoding. . . this means moving to Edius and a PC or a PC bootcamp setup under a Macbook Pro i7 laptop.

I need to use a laptop for editing because I have a lot of demands and distractions at home and end up editing most of my stuff on the road with a laptop. This is a hobby by the way, not a side business. So my budget is tight, it's really money going out like a loss or gift, as I do most of this stuff for free now. I have to edit AVCHD natively and have maybe 20 band concerts to edit and it could take $700 for hard drives to edit this stuff if I continue to use Media 100. So for future editing Media 100 doesn't make sense for me.

But the archive video. Those 2000 hours of tapes, need to be in a really nice high quality but also fairly highly compressed format. This means I want 4:2:2 encoding of video, not a DV encode at 4:2:0. This means I want to encode to Media 100 85kb/frame meaning 2000 hours will fit in about 16 TB or less. If I used some other solution like 3rd level Apple Pro Res at 66 gb hour, it would take 132 TB of storage to archive the old SD video. I don't have $15,000 to spend for an old archive.

So I need a Media 100 setup for encoding the old stuff. It could even be an old desktop with a Media 100 system, probably version 1.13 or later. And I need a card to encode the stuff in. This is the three options I'm thinking of. . .

1. Cheap Laptop PC i7 from Best Buy about $700. Using Edius on that for newer stuff and getting an older Macintosh tower and an older AJA Kona boardset. That older Macintosh and AJA Kona for SD only might cost me $1200 or so. I'd encode the legacy at home to Media 100 85kb frame and transfer video to USB drives. We are talking about 2 hours clips per tape, basic encodes from Hi-8 or SVHS. And the basic laptop a PC haswell would do the Edius editing of future stuff I capture on HD using Sony HD Camcorders. This of course would cost me about $2400.

But it only works if I can get a Kona Board cheap and a cheap older tower that will work with Media 100.

2. Get a Macbook Pro Haswell i7. Load Bootcamp and Windows 7 or 8 on that for Edius. Load Media 100 v.1.13 and run a Matrox MX-20 to import the legacy stuff on the Media 100 side. This would run me $2500 or so. It gives me a nice Mac and allows me to have a Media 100 and PC Edius machine in one laptop. Fairly compelling. But it cripples my ability to do 3d Editing in Edius in the future, which I think Bootcamp and the Macintosh Pro will not allow. I'm not to worried about not having bootcamp options and I usually only produce regular DVDs or youtube stuff (in the future) so having limits for 3d or Blue Ray writing is not a deal killer.

3. Get a gaming laptop like an ASUS gaming laptop that has an i7 and SSD and 1 TB drive. About $1600 for the PC alone. Add Edius (cross trade offer) and that with the Matrox MX20 puts me in the $2400 range. The ASUS PC supposedly allows me to do 3d gaming and maybe display 3d and use it for editing. So it's more flexible for future fun stuff, but I'm not sure I'll have the time to do all that stuff. I have a 3d camcorder, but I'm not really sure I'll need to edit 3d stuff as so few people watch that stuff anyway.

Those are my three basic path thoughts right now. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on some kind of i7 system.

My overall questions are:
Can Media 100 v.1.13 support AJA Kona and Matrox Mx20? or will I need an upgrade.

Is there something I'm missing. In other words would some other cheap configuration allow me to digitize the video with a card like the Mx20 using Media 100 legacy 85kb frame. I know it's a quicktime codec, but I don't know if I need to setup another media 100 system or do an update, just to use that older, but highly useful codec.

Opinions or thoughts. And finally, I'd like to do this under $2000, but I think it's going to be in the $2500 range, judging from what I've found so far.

Also I'm going to start with the Edius project first, want to edit the more recent video first and then start working on the Archive. I have about 20 bands left to edit, so there is a lot of work to do.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Deciding what to get next for legacy and future editing
by on Jan 13, 2014 at 6:22:16 pm

Ill try my best shot. IMHO, 85kb is not the best archive quality. It will take you over 2000 hours just to archive them, label them and add captions or something else. If its 2000 hours and working 6 hours a day just to digitize them it will end you 333 continuos days to do that. If I'm right. Why not just box them and label them properly and you'll be lucky if most of them are hi8 and keep all original quality.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Deciding what to get next for legacy and future editing
by on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:29:48 pm

For fast & simple archival/transferal of old vhs/svhs/hi8/etc tapes, I just use a stand-alone DVD recorder. No large drive space needed, just straight to disc transfer in realtime.

If I then want to use something from the DVDs later, I just rip the material that I'm interested in.

If you just want to make a bunch of MOV files, I used QuickTimePro to record via Firewire. You can pick up an inexpensive analog-digital converter box if needed.

Going through the NLE seems to be more work for just archiving. A lot of stuff that I've archived I really don't ever touch again. So you need to consider that too when determining how much time, effort & money to devote to something that you "might" use one day.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved