MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Somebody Has To Ask...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Stinton
Somebody Has To Ask...
on Oct 22, 2013 at 6:41:58 pm

Media 100 Suite and Maverick. Problems ? Issues? Cool to go ?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
Re: Somebody Has To Ask...
on Oct 23, 2013 at 2:40:50 am

Good question and actually it's "Mavericks".

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Oct 23, 2013 at 3:13:29 am

Thank you for pointing out my poor keyboard skills.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Oct 23, 2013 at 12:45:59 pm

Last year Boris was pretty quick to release a Mountain Lion compatible version of Media 100, so hopefully it will be the same this year. I just sent them an email asking when they expect to announce compatibility with Mavericks and will post whatever info they send me.

Don't forget to verify compatibility with your video output device manufacturer too! Blackmagic Design announced compatibility yesterday... not sure about AJA or Matrox.

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

http://www.fiddlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on Oct 23, 2013 at 6:11:49 pm

Updated to Mavericks on my MacBook - Media 100 will NOT start - says system software is too new.
Now we know!

Blessings,

Robert C. Stone
http://HippieFilm.com
http://MauiTVSpots.com

Return to posts index

Joe Hayden
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:11:53 pm

@ Robert -- I assume you are running Media 100 version 2.1.3 right?

L.O.A.

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on Oct 23, 2013 at 7:19:31 pm

Yes - 2.1.3

Robert C. Stone

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 24, 2013 at 12:02:11 pm

In my initial Mavericks tests I did not find any major issues with Media 100. But I have to do more testing with the Mavericks release version to see if everything is working as expected.
Right now, with the Media 100 V2.1.3 version you cannot work with Mavericks, as Robert wrote, since the app blocks you from doing so.

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Oct 24, 2013 at 2:09:16 pm

Floh , I take you are testing an unreleased version ?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 27, 2013 at 5:58:36 am

Like Andy, I am curious if Floh is using an unreleased version (I'm sure he is since he says 2.1.3 won't work with Mavericks) and while BorisFX says there will be no feature upgrades to M100 does that mean that M100 is stuck at 32bit?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:06:40 am

[Marcus Warren] "does that mean that M100 is stuck at 32bit?"

Hmmm, I guess yes. But actually moving the app to 64 bit would not give us much benefit anyway (except for some cases when working with really long timelines, where there are some memory management issues with Media100). The only real benefit probably would be the fact that some deprecated system calls and APIs would have to be replaced when switching to 64 bits.

I personally would have preferred a 32bit app with an enhanced player (to support additional codecs) much over a 64 bit app without any new features. But as it looks right now, chances for either one are not too good.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 30, 2013 at 4:02:51 am

Floh, I sure hope that you are doing your best to convince Boris that the enhanced player you mentioned is really crucial. As you infer, even without new features this player would certainly add longevity to M100. I have already emailed a similar appeal to Boris and I hope that other M100 users will do so as well.

I have a couple of cameras on my shopping list and I have no idea if the codecs and formats they use will *easily* work with M100 (see my earlier post). Otherwise it will be time to add another NLE to my toolkit, if not switch to another one altogether (sorry, Michael Stowe).

Return to posts index

Mark Mooney
on Oct 27, 2013 at 2:39:29 am

Thanks Floh..
Hopefully Boris will give us Mavericks .. Would love to move to the new Mac Pro! Soon !!

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 28, 2013 at 11:03:39 am

[Mark Mooney] "Hopefully Boris will give us Mavericks .. Would love to move to the new Mac Pro! Soon !!"

Yeah, me too. T-Tap and Aja IO XT are supported already by Media 100, so we at least have some Thunderbolt-enabled Video I/O options.

Let´s see if the release version of Mavericks did break anything major.

And yeah, I am working with an unreleased version right now for testing purposes.

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Nov 5, 2013 at 1:05:22 pm

Hey Floh, any updates on the testing and when the Mavericks-compatible version will be released? ;-)

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

Vic Leon
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:46:49 pm

Media100 2.1.4 Update Available
(Apple Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9 Compatibility(?))

http://www.borisfx.com/updates/#null

Return to posts index

Jason Tower
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:45:11 pm

What's strange is that the Boris site shows 2.1.4 is available, but when you go to download it, version 2.1.3 downloads!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on Nov 21, 2013 at 12:07:42 am

Aloha Jason and All,
Go ahead all the way through and download. The version you get is 2.1.4 - they just need to update their signage!

Blessings, Bob

Robert C. Stone

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 21, 2013 at 3:16:10 pm

Anyone know what the improvements are, apart of course from supporting the new OS? Any point in installing 2.1.4 at this stage if staying with Mountain Lion?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave Simpson
on Nov 21, 2013 at 8:34:45 pm

I was also wondering the same thing Michael. Everything is working fine with 2.1.3 so I hesitate to update if it's only tweaked for Mavericks. If there are other improvements I'm in, otherwise best not to fix what isn't broken.

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

Vic Leon
on Nov 21, 2013 at 9:42:32 pm

and one for breaking it to ya.

Media 100 v2 is in Maintenance/Fix Mode only,
No new features from here on, just a Fix for Mavericks.
Future 64Bit Prerequisite would cause Rewriting from Ground Up/Scratch.
(Didnt find Press Release because its not 'End of Life', per sē ).

v2.1.4 Release Notes to come.
Is that going to be the same as what Floh has?

Return to posts index

Vic Leon
on Nov 21, 2013 at 11:26:17 pm

Media 100 v2.1.4 Release Notes
http://cdn.borisfx.com/borisfx/download_files/Media_100_Suite_2_1_4Release_...

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Nov 22, 2013 at 10:04:43 am

The current V2.1.4 release is just a Mavericks-Enabled version. There will be another update with some bugfixes.

Return to posts index

Mark Mooney
on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:37:34 am

Glad we are able to use Mavericks!
Thank you Boris!!!
Floh .. Have you had any insight on the new Mac Pro and M100 ? Still really hopeful!!

Long live Media 100 ,

Mark

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 12, 2013 at 4:59:34 pm

[Mark Mooney] "Floh .. Have you had any insight on the new Mac Pro and M100 ? Still really hopeful!!"

I will try to get my hands on one of those as soon as possible. Let´s see what happens then.

Floh

Return to posts index

Nick Sherard
on Jan 4, 2014 at 5:22:30 pm

Hi Floh,

I hope you still are in contact.....I have a media 100 edit suite and have for past 20 years and just found out that Boris will be no longer supporting it and is obsolete....is this true?

I have always seen your professional tutorials and you seem to be the expert on this suite that I respect....I have invested a lot of money in this suite for years but after I tried to find a way of exporting audio files via OMF for a sound editor on a job....I couldn't do it and subsequently contacted Boris and the tech guy told me the news....can you shed any light on this and what the future might hold......I also wish there were more tutorials on the complex exporting process that I have always found with digital edit suites....why so many variables, codecs, parameters......when I export video for clienst I simply do n ot know what truely works.....exporting video to tape was simple and quality and the client knew what they were getting....these days I get so many poor results from exporting the footage...I wish I could go on a course and understand the best ways to do the work I have always done.....I feel I am at a loss in the UK as I don't know anyone who uses it....I chose the system 20 years ago and found it to be the most user friendly system...any help my friend?, Best Nick from New Forest Pictures

Return to posts index

Robert Stone
on Jan 5, 2014 at 4:39:16 am

Aloha Nick,

For your audio friends, try exporting an XML file. I used to use the OMF option a couple times, but that became (obsolete, outdated, replaced by) the XML export. Seemed to work okay going to Adobe Audition.

Like you, I invested in Media 100 20 years ago and still use it every day - and plan to do so until something better comes along (yeah, right!)

Please feel free to post your questions regarding exporting right here. Plenty of good options and still folks here willing to help!

Peace and Blessings,

Robert C. Stone

Return to posts index

Nick Sherard
on Jan 6, 2014 at 8:46:38 pm

Hi Robert and thanks for your reply.

Its good to know there are friends out there .

I tried the XML route but the sound guy is not working in my office and as I understand it the XML file is just a 'map'...the editor would require the media too to work from......is this true or am i missing something?

I am none the wiser with other editing systems....I strangely scared to try the others because I swear by m100 and don't like the appearance of FCP for instance, however, I am self taught and still believe I know only a fraction of what it can do...I wish there were classes for certain aspects I struggle on over here in the UK....

It's like the Betamax and VHS system...VHS won here in the end even though Betamax was far superior. the M100 needs a marketing overhaul and I believe there is room for greater competition...It needs an investor to acquire the software and shake up the other companies with its position. It was there at the begining...I hope someone is listening...

I did a recent job shot on Z1 at 1080i and the edit went fine but when I exported the files I found on some exports I get fine horizontal lines during clip...I try different settings...to be honest guess work...but can't get rid of them....why is this so complicated....I preferred tape......it came into edit suite and then went out to tape no fuss....no options on what could be the best way, the right codec and settings.....any joy on the best workflow for importing, right/best codecs and settings one should use?

Thanks again,

best,

nick

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Aug 20, 2014 at 9:28:23 pm

Just to add my two cents,
I'm based in the UK,
and a Media 100 fan, =).

I did a DVD project using Media 100 7.5 2004-2007.
I haven't done much video since,
but did end up with Media 100 Suite 1.1.3 running on OS Leopard 10.5.8 which I did a few short Youtube videos for.

I may not know everything about exports, and haven't worked with HDV so much, (which I assume you filmed in on this project?), but if you just wanted to chat to another UK user any time, I'd be up for it, =).

Hope everything went okay in the end - sounds like it was an interlacing issue. I'd guess the black lines were either the wrong field order, or perhaps the correct order, but playing back on a progressive screen - like a computer monitor. That said, my thinking is rooted in the days of SD, and I know many computer monitors these days support HDMI signals in a range of resolutions that might include the interlaced 1080i. I'm also ignorant of HD standards, so maybe field order and the like are standardised these days, and you can't get the order wrong...? I'm sure the answers are but a google search away.... suffice to say, I hope this project went well for you in the end, =).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]