MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Looking for ADVICE and TO HIRE Media 100 Whiz to supervise UPGRADING from old Media 100 system

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel GoldbergLooking for ADVICE and TO HIRE Media 100 Whiz to supervise UPGRADING from old Media 100 system
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 9:36:02 pm

Hi:

------------------------THE PROBLEM----------------------

My boss and I have been editing a documentary feature on a (VERY) old Media 100 system (Media 100 6 - on a late 90s G4); everything has gone smoothly until last week.

Our system drive failed and while we have everything backed up, we are strongly considering upgrading to the new Media 100 for obvious reasons.

---------------------------ADVICE / JOB---------------------

We would love any advice you folks could offer-

*****BUT are also interested in HIRING a tech whiz (preferably in the Los Angeles area) familiar with older Media 100, OS 9 and the new Media 100 who could supervise our transition to a new system with as little 'rebuilding' as possible.***

(We also have several other G4s with the old Media 100 cards so we are trying to get a second 'old' system up and running, but would love all the speed and features of the new system).

--------------------------------DETAILS ------------------------

Media 100 (Boris) says they don't support Media 100 v.6 upgrade b/c of hiccups and we've discovered some.

But our results have been encouraging:

-The system recognizes and reads all the media (all the media plays in the Finder).

-The system will open even our large, extensive timelines. (At first this was a problem because of our old TITLES on the Graphics track - but we managed to a number of timelines on another G4 with Media 100 and remove the titles, etc. - we don't really want to use this computer b/c it's unstable.)

-The system will relink and play Audio Only programs.

-The system will relink Audio and Video programs.

THE ONE PROBLEM is it won't PLAY the video programs. As long as the video track is disabled (darkened), it will relink; but once that is enabled, the system crashes.

-----------------------------ERRORS AND THOUGHTS--------------------------

We have received two errors:

******* ERROR -19308 *******

Researching on Creative Cow, this seemed graphics related, and led me to open the old programs and delete the graphics track.

That worked to open the program, but as I said, not to play it.

I have tried it with the media on an external G-Raid, as well as on the computer itself, which is a brand-new iMac purchased exclusively for this upgrade.

******* ERROR -1231 *******

Can't seem to find much about this one; any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

SORRY FOR THE LONG-WINDED POST - THANKS!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Looking for ADVICE and TO HIRE Media 100 Whiz to supervise UPGRADING from old Media 100 system
by on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:00:20 am

Okay, let´s see. You have legacy Media 100 i files, which should be in the Media 100 i codec. Can you open the files in QuickTime player? What kind of information gets displayed there?

Could you upload a small sample timeline and the associated movie files to something like yousendit.com or wetransfer.com as a zip archive so that I can have a look at it?

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Looking for ADVICE and TO HIRE Media 100 Whiz to supervise UPGRADING from old Media 100 system
by on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:25:19 pm

Are you trying to open the back-up files stored on back-up drives?
Since drives are different, you should check/change your media destinations & locations. Relink might not be finding all the files needed.

If your 2nd Media100/G4 has a different version of Mac OS & QuickTime player installed, some video files may not be playable. At various times, a QuickTime upgrade would break something and require either another patched upgrade or a downgrade to a previous compatible version.

If your 2nd Media100/G4 has a different version of Media100 installed then you could run into some problems.

On occasion, certain Media100 crash problems could be resolved by deleting the preference files on the system drive. Save a copy of any files before deleting just in case you delete the wrong one.

When rebuilding a Media100/G4 system, note how the cards were installed in the original working system. If you re-order the card placement, you can run into problems. The documentation for your version of the Media100 boards should indicate a best slot placement.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]