MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

"Strange Boris Red Problem"

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Downey
"Strange Boris Red Problem"
on Jul 27, 2013 at 9:56:27 am

Hi Floh, In the last thread you mentioned the "strange Boris Red problem" were Boris Red won't let you return to M100. I'm finding that Boris Red lets me return to Suite but locks up the M100 UI and I have to force quite.
Do you know more about this problem? Do you think it is the 2.1.2 upgrade?
PS- I'm running Suite 2.1.2 / OSX 10.8.2 / AJA LHi
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Jim Downey
Re: "Strange Boris Red Problem"
on Jul 27, 2013 at 11:45:23 am

Just wanted to add that when using the titling through Boris everything seems to be solid. Problem only occurs when editing a comp track.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 29, 2013 at 12:25:12 pm

The fact that if you return from Red the Media 100 UI is sometimes blocked (as it is during editing a Red clip) is the bug I was speaking about. To me it happened both in title clips as well as in Red comps or "Edit Clip" mode. But it seems to happen to me much less often than to other users. It is somewhat problematic to fix a bug that happens only randomly. If you have a way to reproduce it reliably, I guess chances would be better that we get a fix for it.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Aug 28, 2013 at 5:36:33 pm

I encounter this problem with Media100 & RED on a daily basis.

It doesn't actually lock up the Media100 system. It just prevents you from switching windows within the Media100 environment.

You can still trudge along and complete whatever you've been working, save it, etc. if you tap dance between your Media100 windows and the desktop. You can even quit and work on other Media100 projects.

If you want to select a certain Media100 window, click on the desktop first and then the window that you want, timeline for example. Then if you want to go from the timeline window to the bin, first click the desktop and then the bin.

This workaround doesn't make the bug state go away but permits you to continue working. Some shortcuts don't work in this state but you can still work. To remove the bug state, you will need a force-quit.

The bug state seems to be tied to the switching of tasks between the Media100 app and the RED app, handing things off from one to the other. By switching the active app from Media100 to Finder & back, you can jump from one Media100 window to the next. If you stay within the Media100 app, you can't traverse windows.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Aug 29, 2013 at 4:33:31 pm

[Jaeson Koszarsky] "I encounter this problem with Media100 & RED on a daily basis."

Jaeson,

the big question here is if you have a reliable way to reproduce this problem, like a step-by-step explanation how to cause this problem reliably. It is extremely difficult to fix an error that shows up only very unreliably, because you cannot be sure if you actually affected something or if you are only lucky right now. I spend quite some time in RED, and I only see the problem occasionally, so at least I am not sure what actually causes the issue…

If you have an idea, please let me know, and chances are good that we actually can find a fix for the issue.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Aug 29, 2013 at 5:48:12 pm

I can't force the bug to happen but I know that I won't get through the day without it happening at least once. It happened this morning. As soon as I wrap up the project, I'll force-quit and move on to the next one.

I don't know enough about how things work under the OSX hood to give something concrete but it has persisted with our new system & upgrades through OSX 10.7.5 and Media100 Suite 2.1.3. We have two 12-core 2.66GHz MacPros with 12GB RAM. It happens on both systems regularly and it is unique to Media100 & RED.

When the bug occurs, I always get a fixed "Media 100 Suite is busy while the clip is being edited." message. The window with the message can't be closed.

Jumping from one Media100 window to the next is prohibited while in this bug state. You can freely move to the finder other applications. If you want to move from one Media100 window to another, you can do so by switching from the Media100 to the finder (or any other app) then clicking back on the Media100 window you want to use. You need to do this application tap dance to bounce from one Media100 window to the next while in the bug state.

So what happens when exiting RED and handing control back to the Media100 that causes the hang up? The bug resides somewhere in that transition.

Does this happen with Boris and other NLEs or just Media100?

Is there a debugging tool that end-users can use to snapshot the system state and save relevant information that would be useful to Media100 coders?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Sep 3, 2013 at 11:22:41 am

Jaeson,

if you would like to help, please send me a mail.

Floh

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Sep 14, 2013 at 9:07:32 pm

I am having this same problem with Boris Red getting hung up. But there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for it.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 14, 2013 at 2:36:10 pm

Okay, we found the reason for the bug. Hopefully a bugfix update will be available soon.

Return to posts index

Mark Mooney
xavc support for media 100
on Oct 15, 2013 at 3:31:52 am

Any chance that we can have XAVC support codec in Media 100? Currently having to convert to Pro Res.

Return to posts index

Mark Mooney
on Oct 27, 2013 at 3:12:06 am

That bug fix would be wonderful .. Ideal with that one at least once a day,
Do you think that will be in an update?
Thanks Floh..

Mark
Crescentmoonpictures.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved