MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

P2 Import Issue - Truncated Clips

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Price
P2 Import Issue - Truncated Clips
on Feb 22, 2013 at 9:58:31 pm

I recently shot a bunch of b-roll with a rented Panasonic HPX-370. After importing all the footage clips, I noticed that the footage I recorded wasn't all there. That is, each clip appears to start later and definitely end sooner that the originally recorded clip. The files are truncated by five or so seconds on either side. For the most part, this isn't an issue. However, I have a handful of scenes that were only 15 seconds long and I'm missing some important stuff.

I know the footage was there to begin with as I reviewed what was shot with the client at the end of the day. The problem is that I can't seem to access the whole clip anymore.

After some research, I found a discussion (Adobe Premiere forum) that mentions a new feature Panasonic added to the HPX-370. It was intended for FCP to make import of continuous clips easier. However, it apparently would be misinterpreted by other NLEs and cause the header / footer of media clips to be variably cut short. I don't know if this is applicable here or not. It's all I could find.

I do not have FCP or any other NLE to use. When I load the file in Finder, they also do not play to the end. All of the clips are .MXF format. I'm using ‘calibrated{Q} MXF Import’ v2.0.0 to view and access the footage.

Anyone have experience / suggestions with this issue?

---------------------
System #1
---------------------
MacPro4.1 OS10.8
Single 2.66Ghz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
Kona LHi

---------------------
System #2
---------------------
MacPro3.1 OS10.8
Dual 2.8Ghz Quad-core Xeon
8GB RAM
Media100 Suite 2.1.2
No input card

Return to posts index

Jim Wilcox
Re: P2 Import Issue - Truncated Clips
on Feb 25, 2013 at 10:34:04 pm

Ben,

Don't know specifically about the 370, but you might try downloading this standalone MXF player to review your media outside of M100 to see if you are seeing your entire clips.

http://hamburgpromedia.com/products/mxf4mac/applications/mxf-for-mac-player...

Also, how did you offload your cards and do you still have the footage on the P2 cards you shot? Could it be an offloading issue?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:36:55 am

[Ben Price] "When I load the file in Finder, they also do not play to the end. All of the clips are .MXF format. I'm using ‘calibrated{Q} MXF Import’ v2.0.0 to view and access the footage."

Did you buy the MXF import, or do you use the trial version? The trial version will only show half of the clip or 30 seconds, as far as I know. This could be the reason for the shortened clips, I guess…

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:27:02 pm

Hey guys... thanks for the responses!

Floh - I have the licensed version of the calibrated{Q} MXF Import software. Most of my clips were longer than 30 seconds. (The short ones were of Texas Gov. Perry walking down/across hallways where cameras were allowed. It's his PR people that are requesting a copy of the footage and why this is an issue.) All of the clips show a truncation of the beginning/ending. Grrrrr!!!

Jim - Each of the P2 cards I used were cloned to a hard drive after the shoot (including all file structure and subfolders). We sampled the media files before reformatting the P2 cards (on the PC used for the offload) and all of the footage was accounted for. I downloaded that player to my MAC and THANK YOU!!!! When I load and play the clips in the ‘MXFforMac Player,’ all of the video is there.

SO... it MUST be an issue with the ‘calibrated{Q} MXF Import’ software.

There's a point version upgrade of the calibrated software available. I'll download and install that and see if it solves the problem. Update to follow...

- Ben

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Feb 27, 2013 at 9:47:04 am

[Ben Price] "SO... it MUST be an issue with the ‘calibrated{Q} MXF Import’ software.

There's a point version upgrade of the calibrated software available. I'll download and install that and see if it solves the problem. Update to follow...
"

If not, you should definitely get in touch with Calibrated Support. Probably they will have an idea of what is wrong there. Or at least they should be able to do some tests with your footage.

Return to posts index

Ben Price
on Feb 27, 2013 at 4:50:54 pm

Floh,

Updating from v2.0.0 to v2.4.0 was successful in allowing me to access the full clip media.

It is worth noting that this compatibility statement is included in the software documentation:
Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8) has not been fully tested. Three known issues are (1) QuickTime Player X will only show the first 30 seconds of a MXF file even if you are licensed due to the license file being ‘sandboxed’ by OSX 10.8. This issue is being investigated – it is recommended that you install QuickTime Player 7.6.6 for QuickTime playback of MXF files, (2) Panasonic P2, Ikegami GFCAM, and Sony SAM MXF files will not play with ‘auto- joined’ audio do to ‘sandboxing’ in QT Player X, this has been reported to Apple, and (3) the Calibrated MXF QuickLook plugin does not function properly in OSX 10.8 however it appears to not be needed in OSX 10.8 as it will call the Calibrated{Q} MXF Import component to ‘preview’ MXF files in Finder. So starting with v2.3.0 the QuickLook plugin is not installed by the installer, if you had installed a previous version of Calibrated{Q} MXF Import in OSX 10.8 it is recommended to manually uninstall the Calibrated MXF QuickLook plugin by going to the /Library/QuickLook folder and deleting the CalibratedMXFQL.qlgenerator plugin and then restarting your computer.

It is likely that my issues were a result of an OS incompatibility between software versions. And, it appears that there is a potential to experience future problems unless/until an official OS10.8.x version is released. For the time being, I am able to complete the client's request and successfully work with the footage. :-)

Thank you to you and Jim for jumping in with help!

- Ben

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]