MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Contrast increase during import

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Stone
Contrast increase during import
on Jan 20, 2013 at 3:08:05 pm

I'm getting some undesirable results when importing QT files to M100 from my Canon 5D and GoPro Hero3. I've tried the Prores and DVCPro HD codecs but there's still an significant bump in the contrast when compared to the source files. I'm not getting these issues when importing P2 files. Has anyone figured out a workaround?

Currently running with v1.5.1 on MacPro running 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Ken Boyer
Re: Contrast increase during import
on Jan 21, 2013 at 3:55:01 am

In the Import dialog box, there is a Color Range setting for "Computer 0-255" or "Video 16-235". If you were having trouble with 0-255, try 16-235. Likewise, if 16-235 gave you trouble, try 0-255.

Hope that helps!

ken

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:51:17 pm

Hey Ken...

I've seen those choices on the export settings... but not the import settings. Can you be more specific on where they are?

Thanks...

Gary

Return to posts index

Ken Boyer
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:28:51 pm

When you go to import the QT clips into a bin (Cmd+I), a dialog box appears. Right below "Import Type" is "Color Range", with an option for 0-255 or 16-235.

kb

Return to posts index

Ken Boyer
on Jan 21, 2013 at 10:32:54 pm

I'm wondering if the Color Range option was added in v2, and your v1.5.1 doesn't have the Color Range option.

Any other M100 users care to enlighten?

As a workaround, you can always go to Levels and re-adjust, but that's not an elegant way of doing it.

kb

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jan 22, 2013 at 3:57:31 pm

Yep, introduced in V2.

You could correct it with a RGB Levels ColorFX, I think, by setting the output black to 16 and the output white to 235, though. But of course it would be better to import in the "right" color rangeā€¦ What is your source material?

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:20:50 pm

Hey Floh...

The source files are coming from a Canon 5S mkII (.mov files) and a GoPro Hero3 (.mp4).

I was hoping to avoid all the tweaking in ColorFX. As I mentioned to Ken, I passed the files through AE to bring it in with the DVCPro codec at 29.97. I think M-100 prefers that arrangement because it doesn't have to render all the frames, and AE seems to do a better job with it. I haven't tried Compressor, but I'm thinking it may also serve well in this task. (?)

Return to posts index

Gary Stone
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:12:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Ken. Unfortuntely, tweaking the levels afterwards only improves the midrange levels. The blacks have already been crushed and the highlights blown out.

I found that importing the files into Adobe AE and then outputting to DVCPro HD at 29.97 will give me a useable file without building noticeable contrast. I just wish I could do this without the extra steps.

G.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]