MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HDV conform to DV

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
HDV conform to DV
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:58:03 am

I have two interviews of the same person. One shot on HDV, one shot DV with the same camera. The timeline is SD. When capturing the HDV version, conforming to DV, the talent comes out looking skinny compared to the DV version. I need the two interviews to match. Is this something that I can do in Boris RED (or would I need to acquire Apple's Compressor (or similar) or am I missing something in Media 100? I want the HDV originating material to match the DV-originated material.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: HDV conform to DV
on Oct 20, 2012 at 9:51:42 am

Sounds like an aspect matter. Both shot 16:9, timeline configured 16:9?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 20, 2012 at 10:29:51 am

The HDV was shot 16:9, The second interview was shot 4:3. The timeline is 4:3

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:33:11 pm

Well Marcus, it would seem that the 16:9 footage has not been properly configured for your 4:3 timeline hence the 'stretched' images. There is a re configuring aspect box somewhere and you should be able to do this, did you not get a message to this effect when you placed the footage in the timeline? Differing aspects and codecs can be confusing but you can generally work yourself to the right answer eventually. Floh may read this at some point and come to your rescue!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:48:20 pm

Remember, as I stated in the original post, the HDV footage doesn't look stretched, it makes the talent look skinny. The resulting video still fills the frame.

Return to posts index

Andrew Mehta
on Oct 21, 2012 at 8:50:47 pm

Yeah, so obviously, it's 16:9 squashed to 4:3.

To get the 16:9 looking good in 4:3, you either want to letterbox it with black borders top and bottom, or crop the sides off.

I'd create a composition clip, go into Boris Red, drop the footage in there. Get it the right aspect again, and move it to a position that you're happy with (i.e. where the sides being cropped aren't anything important) and then render it back to the M100 timeline.

There may be better ways of doing it - this is just a quick response off the top of my head. I'm not currently editing every day, so excuse me for not being specific on any options or settings. If you need more specific advice, just holler though.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 22, 2012 at 11:07:16 am

[Andrew Mehta] "To get the 16:9 looking good in 4:3, you either want to letterbox it with black borders top and bottom, or crop the sides off.

I'd create a composition clip, go into Boris Red, drop the footage in there. Get it the right aspect again, and move it to a position that you're happy with (i.e. where the sides being cropped aren't anything important) and then render it back to the M100 timeline.

"

Depending on which version of Media 100 suite you are using, there are several ways of doing what you want to do. In the newer versions (V2 and up) you can drop your HD clips into your SD timeline, and they should resize automatically in realtime for editing. In Pre V2-Releases you should see a "Conform" dialog showing up, where you can adjust to how the footage is downconverter. You either probably would want to "Letterbox" (giving you black bars at the top and bottom), or to "crop", cutting off the left and right area of the image.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:05:40 pm

Floh, that's odd, I have version 2.1 and was looking for the 'conform' window and couldn't find it! Does that mean that we can't choose whether to crop top or sides (or a combination of both as before), we just have to let Media 100 do the re size?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:11:29 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Floh, that's odd, I have version 2.1 and was looking for the 'conform' window and couldn't find it! Does that mean that we can't choose whether to crop top or sides (or a combination of both as before), we just have to let Media 100 do the re size?"

If you have 2.0 and up, by default you donĀ“t need to use the "conform" if you want to mix different resolutions/framesizes in your timeline. It is done via the "Motion Editor", which by default should downscale/upscale with the correct aspect ratio, and which can be accessed via the Edit Suite to tweak the settings.

You still can conform timelines or clips from HD to SD via the "Conform" window (under the "Media" menu) if you want to.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]