MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Is there any news out of Media 100/Boris FX?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Shepard
Is there any news out of Media 100/Boris FX?
on Oct 17, 2012 at 2:58:16 pm

I posted a month or so ago on any news about a new version of Media 100 and never heard anything.

I love Media 100 - been using the product since 1996 and have happily upgraded from one version to the next. I have always though its interface was the fastest and easiest out there and have cut everything from commercials to feature films using it.

I have to say, while there has never been an overabundance of interaction with M100 customer service on this board, it was really appreciated when they did comment or post. Seems to me it has been a really long time since I have seen that? I have also noticed that the Media100 website now just forwards to a back corner of the BorisFx website and there is never any news or updates posted on the website. At this point, any new marketing push for Media 100 taking advantage of the FCPX debacle is too late.

Which leads me to really wonder what is happening with Media 100? Is it still being developed? Is it on its swan song? Shall I continue on with it? Makes me sad to ask that question because it has been a really great tool throughout my career and I really love the advances that Boris FX implemented.

Return to posts index

James Edwards
Re: Is there any news out of Media 100/Boris FX?
on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:08:38 pm

Jack, I'd love to see some form of communication from Boris about the future of Media 100 as well. Like you I've been a Media 100 editor for many years (1998) and have taken abuse for being so loyal to the product over the years. I agree that it is one of the best interfaces out there and the quality is without question. The silence from Boris has been deafening since Wick left in terms of information flow here on the cow or anywhere for that matter.

I hope this second post leads to some answers...Floh have you heard anything at all?

James

James K Edwards
Media Director
Riverland Hills Baptist Church

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:26:11 am

As you guys may know, several of us have been asking for a good while now for some kind of confirmation on the future of Media 100 Suite along with asking for tutorials and other information, whether here or on the Media 100 web page. We have gotten zilch.

It has been more than a year since Boris FX head Boris Yamnitsky has posted in this forum, even though he is a somewhat consistent poster in the Boris FX forum.

Strange.

Media 100 has gotten two recent, though very minor, free upgrades in the last few months, so it appears to still be on some sort of development path.

But those of us (or maybe I am the only one?) who paid for a subscription are feeling a little put out right now. I am supposed to be covered for all paid upgrades over the course of a year, but there haven't been any. I believe that my year ends next month, so I guess that Boris will owe me a refund real soon.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 18, 2012 at 12:30:38 am

Jack, what are feature films that you cut with Media 100?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 20, 2012 at 10:00:20 am

I agree totally with everyone but, why can't we continue using Media 100, upgrades or not? I was editing 16mm film prior to 1996 that's ho old I am! I found, and still do, that Media 100 better replicates film editing and is easier and quicker, than any other system. The updates to HD etc were essential but now, with the exception of 3D (and who wants that?) what do we need? The integration with Boris Red should give us enough surely.

However, a word from Boris himself would be nice. He gave me his business card a few years back, I must look it up and see what mail address he has on it.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:20:36 am

Hi Michael. I'm sure most of us will continue to use Media 100 for a while, upgrades or not, but you would have to admit that no upgrades will not bring in new customers and will not keep some of the current customers for long.

The truth is, Boris FX is engaged in a competitive business. The company surely will not decide to no longer upgrade its BCC product. Boris FX must continue to improve BCC to stay competitive with Red Giant Software, GenArts and others or lose sales.

It's just puzzling to a lot of us why Boris does not have the same attitude about Media 100. As you are aware, a lot of the filters in Boris RED are from the BCC product. Well, the latest version of Boris RED does not have the newest filters in BCC 8. That means that those filters are not available to Media 100 users. But here is the kicker; those filters are available to users of After Effects (and Premiere), Avid, Final Cut Pro and Vegas Pro. Doesn't it seem strange (or backwards) that those same filters are not available for Boris FX's own NLE, Media 100? Would you think that they would be available for Media 100 first or at least at the same time that they are available for other hosts, and not a year or more later?

Sure, they may be coming, but the others have had access to those filters for months. If they are coming, by the time Media 100 gets them, Boris will have released, or be close to releasing, BCC 9, and once again the cycle repeats, with the new BCC 9 filters being available for other editors, but not Media 100.

As a reminder BCC 8 and many of its hosts are 64 bit. Boris RED is 64 bit, too, as long as you are not talking about the version shipping with Media 100. Of course M100 is not 64 bit, but most major NLE's are. So when is the 64 bit version of Media 100 coming.

I think that Media 100 users are one of the easiest-going bunch around. There's not a lot of rants and raves on this forum (with your truly being the occasional exception), but some of us have expressed our desire to simply hear from Boris (the man and the company) about the future of the product. The company does not like to talk about future development for any of its products. I understand that. But give us some kind of assurance that our investment in safe. The company's silence creates discontent among the users, and discontented users will look eventually look elsewhere for NLE happiness.

Media 100 is a fine product. But in some important ways, it falls behind its competitors. Boris will not let BCC fall short of its competition. Some of us just wish the company displayed a similar attitude with Media 100.

Of course, there's always the chance that Media 100 is shrouded in secrecy because Boris is developing a PC version, along with a massive marketing onslaught...I'd prefer for M100 to stay Mac-only, but who knows what's going on these days. Floh?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 22, 2012 at 11:03:25 am

[Marcus Warren] "Of course, there's always the chance that Media 100 is shrouded in secrecy because Boris is developing a PC version, along with a massive marketing onslaught...I'd prefer for M100 to stay Mac-only, but who knows what's going on these days."

I would guess they don´t. There was iFinish, which was a Win version of Media 100 a couple of years back. But these days everybody is struggling to build a decent editing system; Avid is having terrible numbers (from a business perspective, losing big money each quarter), and except the really big companies like Adobe, Apple, Sony (maybe GrassValley) nobody is working on "broadcast"-style editing systems these days. I even had problems describing FCP7 (let alone FCP-X) as suitable for broadcast or feature production, but of course a lot of editors and projects have been done on it…

I know that work is done on a new release of Media 100; but I think it does help to get in touch with Boris directly. Send him a mail with features you would like to see in Media 100. His email address is pretty widely spread, for example on this page in the upper right area under the email address.

Return to posts index

Jack Shepard
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:53:19 pm

It is good to hear that they are continuing to develop Media 100. I really hope so. However lacking their PR, word of mouth, and advertising efforts are - I really think that Boris FX has improved the quality and technological aspects of the program a lot since they bought the company.

Thank you everyone for the other posts... I think it is good to show Boris that we are interested in future products and that the "base" is willing to continue to update and get the word out about Media 100. My impatience and worry comes from my real fear that the product will be discontinued - and it is a product that I really like and have always liked. I would rather be impatient about what the next upgrade will include rather than whether it will exist!

I, for one, really appreciated the frequent posts from Wick when he was still at the company and updates to the webpage. It does take time and company resources, I realize, but it really helped to keep me connected with M100.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Oct 23, 2012 at 2:52:56 am

Floh, thanks for the reply. I am not going to ask specifics about the new M100 release you mentioned, but can you at least divulge whether it will be a point upgrade (like Media 100 Suite 2.5 or such) or are we talking about Media 100 Suite 3?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:38:52 am

[Marcus Warren] "Floh, thanks for the reply. I am not going to ask specifics about the new M100 release you mentioned, but can you at least divulge whether it will be a point upgrade (like Media 100 Suite 2.5 or such) or are we talking about Media 100 Suite 3?
"

I actually don´t know for sure. You really should speak to Boris about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]