MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Capture from VHS

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus WarrenCapture from VHS
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:14:53 am

I am working on a product that will require capture from VHS sources and will be played back from DVD to IMAG screens. I have a MacBook Pro (early 2009 model, I believe) and an iMac with Thunderbolt (although I have no Thunderbolt hard drives). Media 100 Suite is on both machines.

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive external capture device to handle the VHS ingest. What can you recommend?

I have been researching Blackmagic Design products like Intensity Shuttle and Intensity Extreme and even Blackmagic Design's Video Recorder. Similar products from AJA and Matrox are much more expensive and I'm not wanting to spend that kind of money right no. One day I would like an MX02 or MX02 LE, but that day is a ways off. Are the Blackmagic products my best bet or are their other devices to consider? Do the Blackmagic Design products even work well with Media 100?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:19:01 am

The first line should read, "I am working on a project..."

Return to posts index

Fermin BrangerRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:56:54 am

Hi Marcus,
You can use some DV/DVCAM VTR or camera that let you go trough from it RCA composite video-in, to use the firewire conection to digitize (manually) that signal into your M100.

By the way, I would love to wear my M100 T-shirts and caps, and give it to my crew too.

Fermin Branger
ALFARERIA CINEMATOGRAFICA
Caracas, Venezuela.
http://www.alfareriacine.com

Return to posts index

by on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:31:44 am

Thanks for the reply, Fermin. I had considered that option, and also the option of simply recording the VHS select clips to DV tape first, then capturing the DV tape through firewire. On further reflection, I will probably do one of the two as opposed to buying another device as I was first considering.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:43:32 am

Marcus, I always do it the way you mention, VHS on to DV tape then ingest into Media 100 the usual way. It's a bit long winded but it works and won't mean buying any more kit. Where are the Media 100 T shirts?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 3:16:42 am

Marcus, another way probably if you have an old Media100i, then capture it to external firewire drive and open project in your laptop or imac. I saw a matrox ended for $152 but its a mini. MXO2 with MAX thunderbolt ended for 800 ebay. I like Matrox since it is simple with analog and digital connections also with hdmi. AJA I/O on the other hand requires signals to be converted to SDI in and out. Any A/D converter will cost somehow. Check Grass Valley or look for and old Sony DSR player recorder.

Return to posts index

by on Sep 26, 2012 at 4:05:02 am

Hi Gerry. No Media 100i here, but I did investigate the MX02 Mini. As I had mentioned in the first email, I do want to eventually get a MX02 or MX02 LE, but after reading more about the Mini, I'd have to say that it is a contender as well.

Getting back to the VHS capture,it turns out that I don't have a working VHS deck. Interestingly, I found mostly used ones on Amazon, none at all after visiting a local WalMart and only (relatively) expensive VHS/DVD combos at two Best Buy stores. I'm about to try Fry's Electronics online and maybe Con's.

Regardless, I think that I can borrow one from the client's organization for this project.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:01:31 am

Here in the UK Marcus you can get any number of VHS decks for nothing, I've dumped at least two at our nearest re cycling depot and I have friends with more to get rid of. We are more advanced over here, DVD and BD have been the only way to view anything for the punters for quite a while.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Capture from VHS
by on Sep 27, 2012 at 3:14:15 am

LOL! I kept 2 just in case. Had one serviced before storage many years back. Needed few months ago and found out power supply died and the other had major head clog. Found an old jvc in the attic very dusty, hot and humid and worked fine. Story end.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]