MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

DIgitizing for Final Cut

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary StoneDIgitizing for Final Cut
by on Aug 18, 2012 at 5:40:26 am

I've got a large number of BetaSP tapes (160+) that I need to digitize for my client's archives. The client edits with Final Cut. With such a large volume of material, I'm looking for an efficient workflow that would eliminate the need to digitize everything in M-100 and then convert everything to another QuickTime format. (And no... I don't want to buy into Final Cut.)

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: DIgitizing for Final Cut
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 12:44:10 pm

Digitize in Media 100 into ProRes (or DVCPRo50 or another Apple-based codec of your choice)
Drop the clips onto a timeline
Export XML for FinalCut
Hand over the XML and Media files

Return to posts index

Jason TowerRe: DIgitizing for Final Cut
by on Aug 20, 2012 at 8:17:09 pm

Just curious why Media 100 still digitizes (and imports) clips into separate video and audio files instead of just creating one file like Final Cut does. I know it was necessary back in the day when we had a drive for video and another for audio, but now it's just not needed. A single file would make Gary's situation a heck of a lot easier.

Just my two cents ;-)

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: DIgitizing for Final Cut
by on Aug 21, 2012 at 11:03:34 pm

I would love that idea too. Is that possible with Media100? Well, there is no background rendering with media100 anyway. But depending on the camera, sometimes importing takes much longer time than digitizing.

Return to posts index

Gary StoneRe: DIgitizing for Final Cut
by on Sep 1, 2012 at 10:14:17 pm

Thanks for workflow on this, Floh. Before I launch into the 130+ hours of material for this project, I'm doing a test. I've followed the steps you outlined, but now I'm waiting for the client to try out the files (and there doesn't appear to be any way to speed up that part of the process). ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved