MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Outputting multiple formats quickly

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom GillenOutputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 7:03:43 am

Hi. I use an iMac and Media100Suite V2, so I need a software solution for making fast turn around video news releases. I'd like to shoot in HDV and import using a ProResHQ timeline. The trouble is that one TV station uses HD, another uses SD 16x9, and still another uses SD 4x3 formats. If I edit in a ProRes timeline, how can I make clean tapes in SD for the other two stations? The quality has to be very good. Thanks for your help. - Tom

Return to posts index

Nick GriffinRe: Outputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 10, 2012 at 9:28:53 pm

Have you tried the Batch Export function? Not necessarily "quicker" but allows you to set-up multiple targeted formats and let the system run.

Return to posts index

Tom GillenRe: Outputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 6:16:42 am

Thanks, Nick. That helps a bit. But when I'm sending out five minute segments it takes time. The turn around on these is very fast(2 hours). For the time being, I am going to stick with shooting in DV and have the HD station do the up-rez. The video looks better on the DV stations when I output to DV tape.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Outputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 11, 2012 at 8:37:04 pm

I've sometimes been asked for DCCAM tape by a broadcaster and when transmitted the quality looked great. Don't forget that the compression for broadcast is considerable anyway.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Outputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 10:23:40 am

[Tom Gillen] " If I edit in a ProRes timeline, how can I make clean tapes in SD for the other two stations? The quality has to be very good. Thanks for your help"

What do you use to create your tapes? Or are you only outputting files? What tape formats do you need?

Return to posts index

Tom GillenRe: Outputting multiple formats quickly
by on Aug 14, 2012 at 9:59:52 pm

Flo
I need DV tapes for the other two stations, or I might be able to give them files on a DVD. I haven't asked them if they can take a file. I just want the resulting conversions from HD to look good and I haven't yet found the best way to do that. And, of course, I need it fast. What is the best way to get 1. good color and 2. sharpness with the 3. correct aspect ratio from the HD timeline to DV format without using hardware? I guess that's my question. One station uses 16x9 DV; the other uses 4x3.
To create the tapes, I normally play a timeline in "Master to tape" to a Sony 1500. Thanks. Tom

On another note, not to complicate things, but I have yet to solve another problem I have: The HD TV Station can't read my HD files that I put on DVD for them. Their edit computers are PCs and for some odd reason, mine and all others who edit on Macs, can't be read on their computers. I've tried various .MOV flavors, but none work for them. Have you ever heard of that happening?

This is why I've surrendered and gone back to shooting on DV. It's a drag.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]