MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Very old Windows Media 100 files

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy HunterVery old Windows Media 100 files
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 12:14:50 pm

I have a bunch of avi files from an old job that were created using the windows media 100 codec way back in 2000 or so. They're the only versions I have of some CG animation I did and I'd like to use them in my demo reel but I can't find anything that will play or convert them.
My employer owned the media 100 hardware/software and no longer exists. Any suggestions how I can convert these files to something I can use? I am on a windows PC and don't have access to a Mac.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Very old Windows Media 100 files
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 12:47:53 pm

Media 100 or iFinish (the Windows version) never did write AVI files natively; the whole application is built on top of QuickTime. So I am not really sure what kind of files you have there. It is possible that there was a way to write AVI files with the Media 100 codec, but I have never heard of something like this.

Have you tried opening the files in e.g. VLC Player? Even if they don´t show video, you should be able to see in the Clip Properties which codec is used.

The Media 100 i codec only exists for Mac systems these days…

Return to posts index

Andy HunterRe: Very old Windows Media 100 files
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:04:26 pm

I 'd tried opening the files in everything I had without success but after downloading VLC I can finally see what I've got. Apparently they're -
Motion JPEG Video (MJPG)
4:2:2 YUV full scale

I'd assumed they were Media 100 files because I couldn't view them and because we were using the Media 100 around the time they were created but honestly I don't remember ever working at that unusual resolution so I don't know how these files were made.
As long as I can convert them I'll be happy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved