MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100/OSX lion bugs

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Bowling
Media 100/OSX lion bugs
on Jul 20, 2012 at 6:16:34 pm

We've been having tons of problems with media 100 2.1 on OSX lion. Not sure if all the problems are with media 100 or lion or both (they both have their share of problems on their own).

We are currently using osx 10.7.2 which is the latest supported version according to the media 100 web site.

These are the problems we have been having. This is on multiple new mac pro computers that we bought after our old G5's were stolen in a break in.

Boris:
Opening Boris in media 100 takes much, much longer than it did on the old dual cpu G5 computers.

When the windows in boris red are docked the keyboard shortcuts don't work meaning that you either have to click everything (hello RSI!) or undock them which means that when you do have to click in a different window, you have to click it twice because of the stupid way macs handle windows (click once to select the window, click again to select what you want in the window).

The built in color picker gives the wrong colors when you click on anything.

When applying the graphic in Boris (would be great if there was a shortcut for this) sometimes I get stuck in media 100 with a window that says "media 100 suite is busy while the clip is being edited" and while I can save the project, I have to End Task on media 100 and restart to do any more editing. I also lose any changes that I have made to the graphic when I reload.

Sometimes boris will show a black box as if something is not linking up, but when you edit the file is shows everything is there. when you hit apply, it still shows the black boxes instead of the correct view. you have to actually go into the file and add or more something to get it to correctly update.

Media 100:

Undos are painfully slow (again, much slower than on the old G5's) sometimes taking up to 20 seconds or more for a simple undo of moving a single graphic in the timeline.

Sometimes when I go to move a clip I get a red triangle with a red x under it and the only thing that moves is the CTI.

When I run out of room on a drive while rendering/exporting media 100 will crash instead of giving a disk space warning. This has been a problem for at least 10 years and I'm really surprised it has not been fixed yet.

I know there are more problems, but I can't remember them right now.

Suggestions/requests:

Autosave after rendering so that when media 100 crashes while exporting (which it does all the time) I don't have to waste hours re-rendering again.

Ability to adjust the audio on multiple clips without some clunky bus track hack.

Ability to apply audio effects to multiple audio tracks without some clunky bus track hack. There is a greyed out apply audio effect to selected tracks item in the tools menu, but it doesn't seem to work and there is no mention of this in the docs.....

When media 100 searches for files when opening a project, give me a list of drives I can check/uncheck for searching instead of having to hope the drive name doesn't change when I click cancel. When this happens the only option is to kill media 100 and restart it again.

If anyone has any solutions to any of these problems I would love to hear it.

Return to posts index

Ken Boyer
Re: Media 100/OSX lion bugs
on Jul 20, 2012 at 10:02:44 pm

Hi Sam,

I can help with one of your Media100 issues: The Applying Audio Effects to Multiple Clips issue.

This is from my conversation with tech support several years ago:

"Apply the audio fx to your first clip. Then shift select the clips you wish to have the same audio fx applied to. Next, with your original clip selected as well, double-click on the original clip. Then go to Tools and select "apply audio effects to selected clips". This will apply your audio fx to the clips you have selected."

I've done this many times. It's not intuitive, but it does work.

I agree with several of your other suggestions/requests.

ken

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jul 24, 2012 at 4:50:11 pm

Try upgrading to Lion 10.7.4. This works fine with Media 100 Suite 2.1.1; maybe it fixes some of your problems.

Some additional comments: - Undos are really fast on all of our systems, except for extremely complex sequences (over 3 hours with a lot of multiclip editing). The only thing that (for us) really slows down Undos is heavy use of Mutliclips. Are you working with muticlips in your timeline? If yes, using them increases the number of used clips (and therefore the complexity) quite dramatically. Not really something you can change, but maybe keep in mind as a reason.

[Sam Bowling] "When applying the graphic in Boris (would be great if there was a shortcut for this) sometimes I get stuck in media 100 with a window that says "media 100 suite is busy while the clip is being edited" and while I can save the project, I have to End Task on media 100 and restart to do any more editing. I also lose any changes that I have made to the graphic when I reload.
"

Yeah, that is a known (and annoying) problem. Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

[Sam Bowling] "Sometimes when I go to move a clip I get a red triangle with a red x under it and the only thing that moves is the CTI. "

Never have seen that without a reason. Are you sure that there is nothing blocking your move action? Locked track? Audio clip somewhere? Keep in mind, if you drag a group of clips on VaVb and V1 and up, you can only drag on the VaVb-Clip and not on the clips on V1 or higher. This is a bug or at least a limitation that is known but obviously difficult to fix.

[Sam Bowling] "When I run out of room on a drive while rendering/exporting media 100 will crash instead of giving a disk space warning. This has been a problem for at least 10 years and I'm really surprised it has not been fixed yet. "

Unfortunately the OS does not really give a proper warning in advance. Would be really great if this would be handled differently, though.

[Sam Bowling] "Autosave after rendering so that when media 100 crashes while exporting (which it does all the time) I don't have to waste hours re-rendering again."

Hmmm, exporting is usually extremely reliable on my systems. Do you have some unusual QuickTime components installed? Have you checked your media drives with something like DiskWarrior or Disk Utility lately? And if this happens often, you probably should do a "Force Render All" and a "Save all" before exporting. Of course the app should not crash, but this could save you probably some rendering time.

[Sam Bowling] "Ability to apply audio effects to multiple audio tracks without some clunky bus track hack. There is a greyed out apply audio effect to selected tracks item in the tools menu, but it doesn't seem to work and there is no mention of this in the docs....."

I guess you already read the explanation how to use this.

[Sam Bowling] "When media 100 searches for files when opening a project, give me a list of drives I can check/uncheck for searching instead of having to hope the drive name doesn't change when I click cancel. When this happens the only option is to kill media 100 and restart it again."

In the "Media Destinations" window, there are "Search" bubbles for all your volumes. You can deactivate the search for the volumes that you don´t want to be searched. Much better chance to hit the right ones than in the "relink media" window if there are only a few clips on your drives. And btw, if you do a "relink media" again (e.g. after hitting "cancel" in the Relink media search), it will once again search on all your selected volumes. So no reason to kill Media 100 during a relink media…

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Aug 14, 2012 at 6:45:46 pm

We are running 10.7.4 here.

When the dreaded "media 100 suite is busy" appears (not a day goes by without seeing it) after exiting Boris & returning to Media100, you can still get around before doing a force-quit.

Under the "media 100 suite is busy" condition, to jump from one Media100 window to the next, you can click the desktop first then the window you want. If the BIN is active but I want the PROGRAM window, click the desktop then the PROGRAM window.

Be aware that some keyboard shortcuts don't work under the "media 100 suite is busy" condition.

-------------------------------------------------------

I've had Media100 complain that drives are too slow when trying to digitize footage. Media100 would stop & report the error. Drives all checked out ok. I finally noticed that the drive was simply out of space. I deleted what wasn't needed anymore and was back to digitizing again. The error message caused some amount of confusion.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have auto-save set but get into the habit of doing a manual save after rendering something finishes. I've been burned too often by crashes and unsaved renders.

Return to posts index

Robert Hagelstein
on Sep 10, 2012 at 4:21:41 pm

I can actually address an issue here! I just figured it out last week.

Boris:
Sometimes boris will show a black box as if something is not linking up, but when you edit the file is shows everything is there. when you hit apply, it still shows the black boxes instead of the correct view. you have to actually go into the file and add or more something to get it to correctly update.

Since I'm not sure about your workflow, I'll tell you about mine with the hope that it addresses similar issues.

My boss and I both use Media 100 2.1 on MacBook Pros running OS X 10.6.8. I scan hundreds of pictures and prepare them for use in Media 100. To do this, I create 3-second composition clips and edit them in Boris. From Boris, I import the picture files, size them the way I want, then exit out. I copy the clips into the appropriate bin so that my boss can work with those images on his machine.

On his computer, the images that I processed are exactly as you describe. The thumbnails in the bin show the image, but the text is italicized, and the image does not show up when placed in the timeline. The only work around is to go into Boris, where the image shows up, and make a small change, and hit apply. I figured out that Boris would render the image and save it to the default Media Destination Render folder, which was stored locally on my Mac as .mov files. When I copied those mov files into my boss's local Render folder, the issue went away entirely. Those folders are usually Macintosh HD > Media 100 Media Folders > NAME OF PROJECT > Rendered Media.

Hope that helps!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]