MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

importing P2 AVC-Intra

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray Fergusonimporting P2 AVC-Intra
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:12:10 am

Have received footage on a drive containing AVC-Intra MXF files, which originate from a P2 camera (Panasonic AG-HPX370).
I’ve tried the import P2 and Import AVC-Intra commands, but it doesn’t like either.
MXF files are grayed out. The AVC-Intra import tells me I need to download AVC-Intra decode, and MXF import, from calibrated software, for a cool $260.00US. I’m hoping someone will tell me I’ve got this wrong, and there’s a cheaper way of accessing this material. Using 1.7.1. Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave SimpsonRe: importing P2 AVC-Intra
by on May 10, 2012 at 5:45:18 pm

Hi Murray,

I ran in to this a while back where someone had shot on a Panasonic camera off loaded the .mxf files then brought me the drive. A program called Sony XDcam transfer did the trick for me. There's more info at Media100 and a link to the free software on this page:

http://www.media100.com/tutorial/XDCAM.php

It worked out fine for me.

cheers

Dave Simpson

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: importing P2 AVC-Intra
by on May 10, 2012 at 6:16:37 pm

If these are AVC Intra the Sony XDCam Transfer won´t help. You either need the calibrated tools to work natively in AVC Intra, or of course you could use some other application (e.g. if you have FCP) to convert them to QuickTime and a codec of your choice.

Return to posts index

Murray FergusonRe: importing P2 AVC-Intra
by on May 11, 2012 at 12:13:26 am

Thanks for the replies. I tested the Calibrated demo software and it works well. I also tried using FCP but it appears there is a problem with the file structure on the drive I have. FCP doesn't see the clips. Looks like they didn't copy the whole contents folder. Any idea if I could get the missing txt files sent to me, and I can add them?
By the way, when I did use the calibrated software to import into M100 as Prores QT's, the import P2 and import AVC Intra functions didn't work. (Possibly because of the file structure problem), but they imported fine with the import files function. So I'm wondering if the import AVC Intra function designed to work with the calibrated software in the same way that import AVCHD works with clipwrap?

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2012 at 7:50:49 am

Yeah, for all non-tape-based formats it is important to keep the file structure (all subfolders and everything) intact, so that the applications will recognize the content. This is true for P2 as well as XDCam and many of the other drive-based recording formats, and it is important not only to Media 100 but to most applications.

If you can get the missing files and if you can recreate the folder structure as it was on the recording device, you most likely can use FCPs "Log and Transfer" or Media 100s AVC Intra import to import the files.

Return to posts index

by on May 11, 2012 at 10:42:24 pm

Thanks Floh, I really appreciate your help. But just to clarify, Do you mean that if the folder structure was copied as it should have been, then M100 could have converted and imported the footage, using AVC Intra import, without the addition of a third party program like calibrated software?

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2012 at 8:06:36 am

No, the Calibrated tools are needed to use the files within Media 100. Media 100 relies mostly on QuickTime, and there are no AVC Intra and XMF-supporting files included in Quicktime.

Return to posts index

by on May 12, 2012 at 10:46:34 pm

Thanks Floh, great support as always.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]