MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Using EOS 5Dii footage in Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sue DalyUsing EOS 5Dii footage in Media 100
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:44:30 am

I'm trying to use footage from my EOS 5Dii in a Media 100 project but am really struggling to find a way of importing the DSLR footage without it looking really awful. I'm using MPEG Streamclip to convert the EOS files into Media 10 Pal Quick Time files. In Quick Time to files look lovely but once I import them into Media 100 they look awful - as if they were off-line. Is it at all possible to use this footage with M100 or am I wasting my time?

I'd really appreciate any advice. (I'm not very techy so keep it simple if you can!)

I'm using Media 100 Suite 1.6.2 in SD. (I don't have FCP so can't use Magic Bullet to convert the files to Apple ProRes which someone suggested as a solution.)

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmondRe: Using EOS 5Dii footage in Media 100
by on Apr 28, 2012 at 8:09:24 pm

You can download the ProRes codecs directly from Apple here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Return to posts index

Sue DalyRe: Using EOS 5Dii footage in Media 100
by on Apr 29, 2012 at 8:26:25 am

Thanks Peter,

I've downloaded the ProApps QT Codecs but when I try to installl the package it says, "ProApps QuickTime codecs can't be installed on this disc. No qualifying copies of Final Cut Pro, Motion or Compressor were found".

I'm still stuck! Any other ideas gratefully received.

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 1:30:04 pm

Sorry about that. I thought there was a time when Apple was making it available gratis. But I think if you buy Compressor (just 50 bucks) then you'll get the PreRes codecs.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 1:55:53 pm

So if I buy Compressor, will I be able to put the ProRes codec in Media 100 or will it install itself in there? Sorry to sound stupid - I'm deeply untechy!

Would it be better to use Compressor to convert my EOS files or should I stick with MPEG Streamclip?

Thanks for helping me with this,
Sue

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:24:54 pm

Ah, just found out that MPEG StreamClip doesn't give ProRes as a choice of codec.

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:41:20 pm

When you install Compressor all the ProRes and related codecs are installed and should be available when you're using Media 100.

Yes, you can use Compressor, but let me back up and make sure I understand what you're doing. Are you talking about importing the Canon footage into Media 100? If so you don't have to convert it first; Media 100 will do that for you.

If you're talking about working with an exported Media 100 file, then I suggest exporting the file as "uncompressed" and then bringing it into your compression program, such as Compressor.

You might also consider Handbrake:

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 2:43:32 pm

MPEG Streamclip does give ProRes as a choice if you have ProRes preinstalled on your system. At least, it does for me. You have to scroll way up for all the choices.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 8:04:58 am

Thanks for all of your advice. As I mentioned, I've tried importing EOS footage straight into M100 and it looks dark and highly compressed. I'd be interested in trying the ProRes codec so decided to buy Compressor but the App Store tell me my computer doesn't have the right graphics card. (I have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT). I'm beginning to think I'm just not meant to work with this footage!

What video card would you recommend? I'm using a Mac Pro, 10.6.8, 2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xenon.

Best regards,
Sue

Return to posts index

by on Apr 30, 2012 at 3:34:42 pm

I have the Radeon 5770 in my Mac Pro, and that works fine. Apple is committed to using Open Computing Language (Open CL) which makes use of the graphics cards (not the main central processing unit) for better performance in video software. Unfortunately Open CL needs the more modern graphics cards. Interesting that the new iMacs have the graphics cards that will run FCPX, Motion, Compressor, etc. Most of us doing video believe that Apple will stop making the Mac Pro towers and steer us toward the iMacs, to which you can connect a Thunderbolt RAID.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:11:22 pm

Yes, I'm trying to put together a short film in Media 100 using footage shot on my EOS 5Dii. I've been adivsed that the files need converting before I can use them in Media 100 but I have tried just importing them straight into M100 - for some reason they go rather dark and seem to lack the quality they have when played in Quick Time.

Am I just making life difficult for myself? Do I not need to convert them at all just import them straight into M100?

Sue Daly

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2012 at 4:34:27 pm

Okay, so after you have ProRes installed, when you launch a new project in Media 100, go to Project Settings>Codecs and select Apple ProRes 422 (there are choices, you might try HQ). Then, when you go to import the file into Media 100, it will convert your file to ProRes. It's probably going to take a while, so I suggest importing a small file first and see how it looks in Media 100.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]