MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Frame rate conversion confusion

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Murray FergusonFrame rate conversion confusion
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 3:18:01 am

Hoping someone can clarify this for me. I’m working on a doco, 80% of which has been already shot over several years, on a variety of tape and disc formats, some in 4:3 and some in 16:9 formats, all interlaced and all in PAL.
The final output will be HD Bluray for theatrical release.
The final 20% will be shot in the US. The camera they want to use in the US doesn’t shoot 1080i 25 or 50. So they sent me a 28 sec 1080i 60 test clip, just to see how M100 would deal with it. If I do a straight import using my HD PAL settings, I get a perfectly normal looking 28sec clip, which looks and plays fine in the PAL timeline.
My question is why? I would have expected the clip to be longer, since the original contained 5 extra frames per second. What is M100 actually doing here? Is it dropping frames? How does it even know to do this?
It’s a fairly static clip, so I can’t really see any motion issues. Would I see them if there was more movement?
Would I be courting disaster by going down this path, and should I insist they use another camera with a PAL frame rate?
It's a convoluted question I know. Hope someone can make sense of it for me.
I’m using version 1.7.1

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Frame rate conversion confusion
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 2:39:31 pm

When doing a slow-import into your selected format QuickTime does a frame rate conversion. Unfortunately the QuickTime conversion is not that great.
Since these days most of the cameras shoot both in 50 as well as 59.94 frame rates, you would be much better off with another camera that shoots 25p or 50i, at least if your final delivery will be 50/25. Otherwise the quality will suffer.

Return to posts index

Murray FergusonRe: Frame rate conversion confusion
by on Apr 9, 2012 at 9:04:47 pm

Thanks Floh,
will take your advice. I have enough variables here without adding another one.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved