MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Replacing non-machine control captured footage?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson KoszarskyReplacing non-machine control captured footage?
by on Mar 27, 2012 at 9:51:50 pm

I have a project with footage acquired from old Hi8 tapes. No machine-control, just play & acquire. Some of the media files were corrupted. The timeline & project are ok otherwise.

I can view some of the corrupted files with the QuickTime player but partway through the video gets whacked.

I thought that I'd try re-acquiring the footage from the original Hi8 tape, trim the beginning to match the start of the corrupt file, rename things in the media folder and back to work.

But Media100 Suite 2.1 apparently looks for some other kind of identifier than just the filename. I thought I could sneak one by Media100 but no.

Is there a way for me to replace the corrupted file with another one so that Media100 will accept it? In RED, if something's missing, I can point RED to the correct spot OR feed it an entirely different file. I want to do the same with this project.

Thanks.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Replacing non-machine control captured footage?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 10:15:47 am

No, you cannot trick Media 100 into relinking to different files, since it writes a special header to each of its media files to be able to identify it always. This is very helpful in case you have several media files with the same name (Media 100 relinks always to the right one), but somewhat limiting in your situation.

What you can do is to replace the clips with the "Replace" command (Command-Drag the clip on top of the one you want to replace in the timeline), but of course you have to do this with each clip instance of the media file in your timeline.

Return to posts index

Gregg MichaelsRe: Replacing non-machine control captured footage?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 1:43:34 pm

Adding a manual re-link option sure would be a nice feature. Creating some flexibility in the re-linking process would add a significant benefit.

GM

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Replacing non-machine control captured footage?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:20:40 pm

A manual-relink would be helpful. Similar to working in RED.

BTW, I tried opening the original (corrupt) file from the media folder in QuickTime Pro, pasting replacement video into it, cutting the bad video out, then saving it. I thought it might keep the unique file header info but Media100 didn't like that either.

I tried replacing the video via RED too by selecting the clip in Media100 then using EDIT in the Edit Suite window. This works to a degree but requires rendering and it doesn't work correctly if there's a transition on the FX track. Media100 reports source media not found, even though the rendered a/b tracks play fine.

I'll have to use the replace option in the timeline. It will be more time consuming since I'll need to trim & match up all the clips from that tape.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Replacing non-machine control captured footage?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:33:53 pm

Is there a utility for Mac that would allow me to transplant the file header id from the corrupt file to the replacement?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]