MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

How many M100 users are we?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fermin BrangerHow many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 2:44:39 am

Does somebody knows how many people are using M100 around the world?

Fermin Branger
Caracas, Venezuela.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 3:46:03 am

There are few popular companies listed in their website. In 16 years using M100, I have not met anyone here in NJ yet. Final Cut or Vegas are some of the popular options. Media 100 is never heard among plenty of my acquaintances. Most weekends, we use Media100 to do same day edited presentations on locations for events. People asked what we use after presentations, most thought its a new system. How many users? Not so many, I guess.

Return to posts index

Michael D'AmatoRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Feb 14, 2013 at 1:54:51 am

You're not alone in Jersey! I use Media 100 Suite v1.1.3 at the Township of Edison (Edison TV). for VOD.

Yours Truly,
Mike D'Amato
Broadcast Communications Manager
Township of Edison

Return to posts index

Larry EveyRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 4:40:18 pm

I was the first in the state of Michigan back in 1993 to edit with Media100. Several schools, both High School's and the University's here in West Michigan were M100. Most all switched to FC when M100 was mismanaged by it's new owners in the late 90's.

Now twenty years later, I think I'm the only one left??? Met Boris Yamnitsky at NAB 2011 and decided to stay with M100 and upgrade -not switching to FC. Best decision ever to stay with M100! (thanks Boris & Matt) All my older pgms imported wonderfully into the new software. My new MacPro 8core/8gb ram w/2 apple cinema displays running Media100 is a big money maker, having paid for itself within the first edited project!

Just purchased a Sony PMW-F3 with the new zoom lens. That amazing digital cinema camera, combined with the M100 editing system, puts West Coast MEDiA in a very good position for the next several years!

Larry Evey
West Coast MEDiA, Inc.
MEDIA100 Since 1993

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 4, 2012 at 7:06:38 pm

Over here in Europe there is the much respected Floh Peters in Munich Germany and he would probably have some idea of numbers. In London, when I started using Media 100 around 1996, there used to be a users group meeting in a pub in Soho, I don't know whether they still do but I doubt it.

I know two companies selling Media 100 in the UK so there must be users but they are rare. Terrible damage was done to the brand by Optibase during their ownership when many users went over to FCP, and of course that has been the considerable marketing support of Apple. As I'm constantly pointing out to anyone who listens, Media 100 for me is the perfect editing tool. It suits me perfectly with my limited computer skills (I used to edit film!), and does all I need for my documentary film making. It is far more user friendly than the over complicated FCP.

Boris has done wonders and all time lost has been made up, possibly too late to tempt back the deserters, but who knows?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Ken BoyerRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 6, 2012 at 11:44:39 pm

I'll chime in...

We are a two person corporate video team in Seattle, WA, and have been using M100 since 1995. But I couldn't tell you who else in town uses M100. If I had to guess, I'd say not many.

We love editing with M100. It's a first-class NLE, and we don't want to leave. But have plenty of issues we wish they would address. We have "Platinum Support", but since Wick left, they haven't been as responsive as we would hope.

The bottom line is, M100 doesn't promote and market themselves very well. I frequent several other forums here on the COW, and whenever M100 is mentioned (rarely), the response is always, "They're still around???" With the demise of FCP, I thought this was M100's opportunity. But so far, I can't even use the latest AJA drivers (which the Adobe Suite requires).

Return to posts index

Melodie MyersRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:01:23 pm

Soooo, to sum up all of those responses not many, someone asked me what editor I used last week and when I said Media 100 a look of bewilderment was returned... that's kind of cool in some respects(that no one uses this cool application and worrisome in others) --

I'm new to Media100, although my college had Media100 work stations back in the mid90s, which is partly what brought me back here almost 20 years later when I went looking for an editor last year and FCP just wasn't appealing to me -- the other bit was/is I got Boris RED and an editor for 600 bucks, sounded like a deal to me. Needless to say, the first few weeks of owning Media 100 were somewhat painful -- and I was concerned I had made a 600.00 mistake, as evidenced by my first post on this forum-- I find the documentation lacking at times(fortunately, the application is fairly intuitive) and the fact that their aren't many users makes finding someone that has experienced a similar issue difficult--

That said, I'm finishing my second project on Media 100, I still have loads to learn, but I'm liking it more and more every time I use it -- I watched my editor friend fumble around with syncing audio for 45 minutes in FCP last Saturday -- and I did the same sync in Media 100 last night in about 3 minutes and I have no idea what I'm doing, so there's something to be said for that --

I hope more folks come to know Media 100(again)-- that can only helps matters...

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 9, 2012 at 9:54:39 pm

I suppose even if Media 100 ceased as from today (heaven forbid), we could still carry on with the systems we operate now. Nothing to go wrong, there will always be AJA boards, the only worry for ALL editors, worldwide, is the possibility that Apple will be so keen on their consumer rubbish (i this and i that) that they will cease production of their Pro computers. Then where will we be?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:38:10 am

Hi Michael

[Michael Slowe] "I suppose even if Media 100 ceased as from today (heaven forbid), we could still carry on with the systems we operate now. Nothing to go wrong,"

Funny, I still have my G3/OS9.2-Media100 XR running every day for 10 hours driving a 52" LCD above it on my store front looping all video we shot on HD. hahaha! Nice piece of hardware. With all the aluminum you see around, this beige turns yellower each day. Just cant kill the beast!
But if this thing dies, the 9500 is waiting in the storage. haha
Five, six, seven years from now, kids will think that this is a new cool computer. LOL

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:10:31 am

Haha. That's fantastic, ^_^ [the pic above].

I still have my G4 Gigabit Ethernet with P6000 card + DV Option, running Media100i 7.5 or whatever the version was, in OS9. ^_^

I also have Media 100 Suite v1 on OSX Leopard.

I'm still around, but I got Media100 for a DVD project which ran from 2004-2007, and I only use it occasionally now, for the odd Youtube short. I'm no longer a full time editor like I was 2004-2007, so it only sees occasional use.

That said, I found at least x2 professional users besides me here in the UK back in the day. Michael in this thread, and Kieran Matthew who used to post here too. Then when appealing for freelancers on I came across another two or so students, who knew Media100 - one of whom had done some work for another Media100 based company based elsewhere in the UK.

Outside of the UK, I get the impression John Buck / Velocite still uses Media100, and I did find a bunch of people in LA that used it still also - although again, that was 2004-2007, when I was actively looking for Media100 people, to help with projects, etc.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:20:24 am

There's also this link as well of course:

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:05:58 pm

"I suppose even if Media 100 ceased as from today (heaven forbid), we could still carry on with the systems we operate now."

I still have and use my MacroSystems DraCo from the mid-90s. It runs on a 50MHz Motorola 68060 processor with 128MB of RAM, SCSI-II drives, FireWire I/O, excellent SD image quality. The NLE has unlimited a/v tracks. It will play all straight cuts in realtime, any fx or layering need rendering and that's where things get slow. It even has a multicam feature with support for up to 6 cameras.

Just because something is old, that doesn't mean that it's lost usefulness.

I don't expect M100 to pass in the night any time soon. Thanks for BorisFX's continued support!

Return to posts index

Andrew GoldenRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:22:25 pm

I'm another Media 100 user here in NJ. Started on a 9600 running version 3 in 1997 and I still have a G4 with XR cards that runs perfectly. While I took up Final Cut Pro around 2003, there are a few annual projects that are just easier to use Media 100 for. I keep a current version loaded on my computer and it's still my favorite NLE to work with.

When I started here at VCA, I built, serviced, and installed Media 100 and AVID systems all over the NY/NJ area. A lot of schools and small post houses used Media 100 because of the cost factor against AVID in those days - but the Media 100's were all replaced by Final Cut Pro. I haven't done a new installation of Media 100 since 2005 - anything else were upgrades for existing customers. With the FCP-X debacle, I had hoped that people would look at Media 100 more. I still find it's the most intuitive interface for editing and someone can start cutting complex sequences in very little time.

Andrew S. Golden
Director of VCA Services
Video Corporation of America
7 Veronica Avenue
Somerset, NJ 08875

Return to posts index

Ben PriceRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Jun 4, 2012 at 12:37:25 am

I can account for two systems. One is in Victoria, Texas (south of Houston) and is used by Agama Advertising. The other is my personal system that I use in Loveland, Colorado.

I've been a M100 user since 1997. I've used it for everything from commercials to long format programs. And, the final product has aired on the Pentagon Channel, The Maury Show, and QVC (that I know of for sure).

There may not be many of us, but we're still good company.

MacPro4.1 OS10.6.7
Single 2.66Ghz Quad-core Xeon
Media100 Suite 2.0.2
Kona LHi

MacPro3.1 OS10.6.7
Dual 2.8Ghz Quad-core Xeon
Media100 Suite 2.0.2
No input card

Return to posts index

noah wightRe: How many M100 users are we?
by on Jun 10, 2012 at 4:46:08 am

Another one here. Been editing adventure flicks and action sports related movies/tv plus grinding out local weather and tv for a community tv station on M100 since 93. Super intuitive and having Boris available off the timeline is super workflow efficient. I still have my earliest versions of M100 software on floppies. Every time they would offer an upgrade I would ask Matt how far back we could go. I've also had my fair share of issues with all the different incarnations of m100 over the years but have also had great experiences with Matt and Wick. I miss the days of WWUG and the sheer number of voices but Floh has been the one man band on answering questions. I do have to say that a real up to date manual would be nice. I have to straddle the HD/SD fence with the cross over between the station and the professional post projects. As a result I use a Black Magic Designs card for all the different inputs and it's a total crap shoot trying to get the two to dance. I sure did love the straight up ease of the break out box. I have 2 8.whatever boxes running on mirrordoors and 2 suites so still loving it but the blank look I get when people ask what I use gets annoying. Have to be ready to back it up with knowledge or I think I might lose jobs as a result. I'll be here to see what comes next.

Noah Wight
CBTV Inc/ESProductions
Crested Butte, CO 81224

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved