MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Moving Legacy 100i 8.2.3 from G4 to G5?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Strasser
Moving Legacy 100i 8.2.3 from G4 to G5?
on Jan 19, 2012 at 8:06:03 am

Greetings. (8.2.3 or is it 8.3.2?) I've been using M100/Boris for many years - actually since I believe Boris made its debut when they gave you a baseball hat with the program and Phillip H had a unique stand-up manual for it. Used to do training videos for teachers etc before retirement. Now retired for 10 years and do some video stuff for internet on occasion; definitely a zero-sum operation but it's nice because I have no income from it to claim! Recently my old friend MAC G4 ate it and bought another on ebay for $50 so my 100 is working again. But I wondered, is there any problem in moving the board to a G5 (Might cost me $75 on ebay?) I would swap my hard drives to assure I'm still working with the same QT version, Os X version, etc. The reason I'm thinking going G5 is to get some extra speed? Anyone see any problems with that? If you're interested you can see my latest on YouTube; Tom Wolf's 1/5 Scale Mosquito. (Radio controlled airplane model with 124" wingspan.) Thanks in advance for your help. BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBen.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Moving Legacy 100i 8.2.3 from G4 to G5?
on Jan 20, 2012 at 6:01:59 pm

Unfortunately your P6000 (or older) Media 100 board won´t physically fit into a G5. The PCI-slots in a G5 are PCI-X, and while they are backwards-compatible with PCI-boards that use 3.3V power, they are not with boards that also need 5V power (like the P6000 boards). You can use the P6000 board with a G5 when putting the board in a PCI Expansion chassis, though. But of course you would need a chassis as well as a G5.

Return to posts index

Ben Strasser
on Jan 21, 2012 at 3:52:20 am

Hi Floh. Many thanks for your response. I have purchased what appears to be a good G5 which is on its way. What about this PCI expansion chasis, is that something that would be available from Frys or do you know of a source? Or is there another version of the P6000 board that will make by 100i work with that computer?

Also take this opportunity to thank you for some help a couple of years ago when all of my clip thumbnails turned pink in their respective bins. You enlightened me that it was due to QT and provided a way to back up on the QT - which solved the problem. I assume that keeping that earlier version of QT is the way to go for my 100i; that any/all of the newer versions have the same problem with 100i?

Thanks again,

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBen..................

Return to posts index

Ben Strasser
on Jan 23, 2012 at 5:51:14 am

Greetings Floh. After looking up the cost of a PCI chasis in the internet it looks like it would just be more sense for me to switch to the M100 Suite or? Since I have the Legacy 100i I understand that I would get an upgrade price? Also, while I already have Red 4.3.1.1.. would I also need the new(?) Red with it? Ben

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Jan 23, 2012 at 12:43:58 pm

Sooo, now it gets tricky ;-)

Depending on which G5 you bought you either have PCI-X or PCI-Express slots. If you have PCI-X you could be lucky and find a used expansion chassis cheap somewhere. We used to use them in Blue&White G3 days, since they did not have enough internal slots for the Media 100 boards.

If you have a G5 with PXI Express it is much more unlikely that you will find a cheap used expansion chassis.

Both G5 flavors can be used with Media 100 Suite (up to the latest release pre V2). Either as software only, or with boards that fit into the systems. For PCI-X systems there is the Media 100 HDx board, plus some Aja-based PCI-X boards, for the PCI express there are boards from Aja, Matrox and Blackmagic that can be used, depending on your budget and I/O needs.

If you get a license of Media 100 Suite, Boris Red is always included.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]