MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Positioning Media 100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus WarrenPositioning Media 100
by on Dec 31, 2011 at 10:06:04 pm

Just a thought that I have had for a few weeks and thought that I would throw it out: Would it make sense to competitively position Media 100 against Autodesk Smoke? With Media 100 Suite including RED, should Media 100 skip comparisons to FCP, Avid etc. and be known as a Smoke alternative for 1/15 of the price?

Of course, M100/RED does not have 3D Stereoscopic Tools (yet?), but overall, perhaps the capabilities are closer than initially apparent.

I have been saying for some time that the M100 suite would also benefit from the inclusion of an updated Boris BLUE (that works with a broader range of graphics cards), accessible from the Edit Suite in the same way that RED is accessed. The inclusion of BLUE would seem to move M100 even closer to the Smoke realm and a little further away from FCP, Avid, Premiere, Edius, Vegas, etc.

Just a thought...

Return to posts index

Bernhard GriningerRe: Positioning Media 100
by on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:24:27 am

this is a really fascinating idea!

The benefit of Smoke and other Finishing apps is the smooth integration
of high-end compositing an color grading tools into a NLE.

But at the moment M100 is something at the opposite point of the spectrum
being a NLE that is really reduced to non linear editing.
(The Boris integration had never convinced me, but I know there are other opinions.)

In my personal opinion it was the biggest mistake in the history of M100
to drop 844/X and re-activate Media100i (way long before Artel overtook what was left then).
They should have had drop Media100i and port 844/X to OSX.

Best regards,

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Positioning Media 100
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:01:49 pm

I'm glad that you find the idea interesting. For the idea to really take effect, Boris would have to "aim" M100 in Smoke's direction.

I think marketing M100 that way would separate it from FCP, Edius, Media Composer, Premiere and Vegas and push in the galaxy of Smoke and higher-end Avid systems for much less money.

M100 really needs an identity. In other posts from many months ago I said that M100 needs to have a feature (or set of features/capabilities)that it can proudly boast that you can only get from M100; something that really sets it apart from the other NLEs. Depending upon a user's perspective, one may argue that it already has that. But if it does, what is it and how can the post production world find out about it?

I would argue that while M100 is very capable, it still needs that feature or ability that truly sets is apart and that you can honestly say, "You can only get that with Media 100."

Return to posts index

Bernhard GriningerRe: Positioning Media 100
by on Jan 3, 2012 at 7:56:10 pm

Such a feature could be the usage of AJA's, Matrox's and now after the acquisition of Teranex, BMD's
hardware scaler within the timeline; meaning file-based and not as usual only while capture or playback
in or out the computer. I would buy it only for that! ;-)
M100's scaling quality still is not acceptable as it is the same with EVERY other NLE on the market.

Another feature could be the native integration of absolutely ALL the Boris Filters and Effects
and transition tools directly within the M100 interface.
Many people are using the Boris plugins in their NLEs. Real native integration would be
a huge benefit.

Finally, to be a consequent finishing app, M100 needs to do transitions in every track. It doesn't make sense so send a timeline to M100 if the project can't be represented correctly
with all transitions.

But I fear most of such outstanding features would blew up M100's interface and changing it's
simplistic character that is so important to us.

Best regards,

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Positioning Media 100
by on Jan 4, 2012 at 9:10:40 pm

You just said it Bernhard, "Media 100's simplistic character". That's the main attraction as far as I'm concerned, always has been since I switched to editing video rather than film (remember that you young guys?) in 1996. It does all I need for documentary production since I don't need too many fancy composites, whirly twirls etc etc but I appreciate that advanced modern editing for TV commercials probably does.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Jan 5, 2012 at 6:37:18 pm

I do like to do whirly twirls every now and then :)

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: Positioning Media 100
by on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:25:24 pm

"...what is it and how can the post production world find out about it?"

=D Haven't you heard!? Media100 is the video editing world's best kept secret, ^_^.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:59:15 pm

No, I haven't heard. Must be a secret :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved