MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

acquire difficulty

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tara Alexanderacquire difficulty
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16:41 am

Media 100 (OS 10.5.8; Media 100 1.5.1) can't acquire footage from my Sony V1U, whether it is straight through firewire or through a AJA Kona LHe with 8.0 driver; Convergent Design HDV to SDI. It doesn't matter if it is 1080i 23.98 or 29.97 fps.

The camera seems to be playing back correctly; however, the acquire message is that there is a break in the video.

Thank you, Tara

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: acquire difficulty
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 12:22:45 pm

It almost certainly would be a time code problem. Are you getting anything in or will it just refuse from the start? If you are getting some in you may have to 'skirt round' any time code breaks. I have no doubt you will receive other more technical suggestions.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Gary MilliganRe: acquire difficulty
by on Dec 21, 2011 at 5:59:58 pm

[Tara Alexander] "The camera seems to be playing back correctly; however, the acquire message is that there is a break in the video."

Am I correct in assuming your original footage is on tape and not the optional hard drive unit for that camera? What exactly does the acquire message say? My initial suspicion is dirt on the playback heads - it doesn't take much of a signal interruption to cause Media 100 to stop acquiring. Does it happen at the same spot on the tape each time?... if so, the bad spot is recorded on the tape. If it happens at different spots then it's likely dirty heads. As Michael suggested: "If you are getting some in you may have to 'skirt round' any time code breaks." This basically means you have to set your preferences to No Machine Control, manually control the player, and be ready to hit the Acquire button as soon as the bad spot has passed. That can be a bit tricky though because the "signal Interruption" message will still come up and you have to get rid of that before you can hit the Acquire button... all while the tape is still playing. What might work better for you is to digitize your footage using something else like iMovie (if you have it on your system)... it's more forgiving when it comes to tape drop-outs and time-code breaks. I think iMovie records using the Apple Intermediate codec so you'll have to import the files and select the "Import Media to the Media Standard and codec" checkbox. It will add to the length of time it takes to get your footage in because it has to transcode the files, but you will get the footage... and that's a good thing :-)

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]