MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 and Marketing

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
Media 100 and Marketing
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:46:20 pm

I am blessed to now have two Macs running Media 100 so I thought that I would share some thoughts at this juncture.

This has been mentioned several times on this forum; there's not enough Media 100 marketing to suit our tastes. Additionally, I am always disappointed concerning the content on the Media 100 website. There never seems to be any effort to keep content fresh and updated.

The main BorisFX site gets constant updates, mainly in the form of tutorials, but tutorials are very rarely added to the Media 100 site.

I remember that after the release of Media 100 Suite v2, the webinar tutorial from Floh was added to the site. Unfortunately, the webinar suffered from several technical issues. After I complained that the video did not reflect well on BorisFX and Media 100 (because of the tech issues) it was removed. But where is the new content? Why does it take so long to update the site?

Last month when I bought my second Media 100 installation, I was told by a BorisFX sales rep that the Media 100 v2 $400 off sale went much better than expected. If that is the case, shouldn't the web site take advantage of the renewed interest in M100?

Any time the topic of Media 100 marketing is raised on this forum, it seems like BorisFX reps have no comment; nothing to say.

I hope that 2012 is better in terms of BorisFX spreading the word about M100 and providing much needed fresh content on the web site and that the website is updated consistently. In other works, be aggressive. Become a feared competitor in the NLE wars.

FCP X may have gotten off to a very slow start but it *will* become a monster. It is revolutionary and will become more widely adopted when more people change the way they view its technology and abilities. In the meantime Adobe, Avid, Grass Valley and Sony are doing what they can to shore up market share. Shouldn't BorisFX be positioning Media 100 to do the same thing? The BorisFX team members should seize the marketing opportunities for M100 now and not get caught with their pixels down a few months down the road when FCP X finally comes into its own (and the other NLE providers have made it even more difficult to gather market share).

BTW, how about some Media 100 t-shirts and caps?

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: Media 100 and Marketing
on Dec 10, 2011 at 12:40:15 pm

Couldn't agree more with what Marcus has to say. As an avid (pun intended) Media 100 user I'm amazed that more editors don't know of its existence. As I'm constantly telling people, Media 100 is the most intuitive, easy to use and reliable system available.

Although Boris has done wonders since gaining control and the constant updates have kept us well up to speed, I wonder at their apparent hesitancy in shouting how good Media 100 is. The Apple changes in direction should provide ample opportunities and there have been previous users of Media 100 returning to the fold but not many new ones. I'm constantly receiving marketing E Mails from Boris for many of their products but there's never a mention of Media 100. Why is this?

Anyway, those of us 'in the know' can continue to enjoy the benefits of Media 100 but one could be be fearful that Boris might not have his heart in it and that would be a disaster for we who would hate to have to move edit platforms. Could we have some re assurance from Boris people who, we know, do read this forum?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:31:53 pm

Hello,

I think Artel Software does make much more money with plugins for other NLEs,
than with M100. It's the same reason why we couldn't expect a killer-cam from Canon:
because it would indirectly cannibalize the business with high-end lenses in the $30.000.- range.

A second reason might be the insecure future. M100 is OSX only (now).
With Quicktime EOLd (the framework, not the media player application!) and the future of
the MacPro in question, it seems to be the wrong time for a big campaign.

Explanation:
As the old FCP, M100 relies on the Quicktime framework. Changing to the
AV-Foundation like FCP-X will M100 require to have a complete overhaul.

The critical question here is:
What in this context is more worth the effort: porting to AV-Foundation of a platform in question,
or building up a whole new and platform-independent media- framework.
I could imagine very well a revival of 844X – in my personal opinion not the worst scenario at all!

The third reason is tightly coupled to the second one. M100 too much relies on other
softwares (and codecs!). It complements well the old Final Cut Studio.
M100 will simply need to become independent to be a real competitor
instead of being a very nice complementation to a given infrastructure
(even if M100 is used as the primary NLE).

Interesting times we live in.

Best regards,
Bernhard

PS: @Artel-Software: if that all really leads into going back to Windows,
PLEASE DO NOT reactivate iFinish – re-activate 844X ;-)

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 10, 2011 at 7:11:07 pm

Please keep in mind that long before the release of FCP X and before realization of the apparent end of life for the Quicktime frame work, BorisFX still was not putting much marketing muscle into Media 100.

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Dec 11, 2011 at 11:25:58 am

Very true,

but Your argument referred up on the
"[...] advantage of the renewed interest in M100 [...]"
which points on the context of the new market situation.

Also, Your new argument is not in contradiction with my proposed third reason,
claiming that M100 depends to much on third-party infrastructure
(especially Apple and the old FCS) to be a major player and real competitor.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 11, 2011 at 2:27:18 pm

Bernhard, there is a lot of sense in your two posts and I'm not technically qualified to query your thesis. I know that I want to continue editing with Media 100 for as long as I'm able. Presumably, even if Apple discontinue large computers such as the MacPro and Media 100 disappears (perish the thought on both counts), nothing would prevent me from happily enjoying my current set up for as long as it continued to work.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:16:43 pm

[Michael Slowe] "nothing would prevent me from happily enjoying my current set up for as long as it continued to work."

Michael -
While this is certainly true, the reality for most of us is when we see new features and capabilities in contemporary software and hardware we want them and the old software and hardware starts to look just that… old. Two years ago I ranted about the importance of upgrades with
http://library.creativecow.net/griffin_nick/suite-review/1
and the points are still true today.

Last I checked, we still have a Media 100i inside a G-4 sitting in one of the un-used offices. Why don't I use it? Because I really like the features and speed on Suite 2 on an octo-core Mac. (Which I assume will 10 years from now be sitting unused in that back office where the G-4 sits now.)

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:09:37 am

Nick, I just re read your 'rant'. Of course improvements are welcome, although most of the recent ones are of little interest or use to me. Also, remember that the old Media 100 card gave a far better downscale than that produced with the current AJA card.

My point was though, that should the unthinkable occur, my current set up (the latest available) would probably see my time out as an editor and producer of documentaries. My most successful productions were cut on a version 8 on a Mac 3 or 4. I'm often amused at the general rush for updates but your vigorous promotion of Media 100 in your article is to be applauded.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:31:19 am

My initial argument clearly states, "This has been mentioned several times on this forum". This references that this conversation started long before FCP X was made public. I reference the current market situation, but the point is not limited to today. BorisFX has a history of lackluster marketing push on behalf of M100. Regardless of where the Apple platorm goes tomorrow, Artel has customers and a market that it should serve TODAY.

Are you saying that we don't deserve better support TODAY because of what *might* happen TOMORROW? Are you saying that we are not worthy of new tutorials and fresh content on the website? One way to prepare for TOMORROW is to build a sold customer base, marketing strategy and brand name TODAY. Since the recent M100 sale was a surprising success (according to a Boris rep)capture the audience NOW so that it follows your no matter where you go TOMORROW.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:57:15 am

Bernhard, my third and final email for the night in reference to your last argument is this: The technology behind M100 may have to change, but so should the attitude of Boris regarding M100. Just as you might do, I read a lot of video related news in magazines and on-line. When NLE references are made, Media 100 is hardly ever mentioned. Certainly it competes in the same league as FCP, Premiere, Media Composer, Vegas Pro and Edius so why is it that authors treat M100 as if it no longer exists? In fact, that's what the author of a recently release book on motion graphic design did, referring to M100 (if I remember correctly) as "much missed" although Artel Software had been releasing updates for several years prior to the release of the book. How is it that this author (and apparent former M100 user) was not even aware that M100 is still in production (and perhaps through her ignorance,influencing the minds of potential purchasers)? I'll tell you; poor marketing.

Remember, "back in the day" Media 100 stood toe-to-toe with Avid. Wouldn't you want the NLE that you use to be revered with the same high regard today?

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:38:46 am

BTW, the marketing push does not have to be "a big campaign". Considering all that has (or has not) come before, a well-conceived, well implemented small one is better than nothing.

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Dec 13, 2011 at 2:32:22 pm

Hello Marcus,

form a consumer point of view I would also appreciate
a better marketing. Marketing not only is something
to gain new customers, but also a form of legitimation
for current ones.

So as You (I assume) I don't like getting into situations of justification
when telling someone that we also have M100s.

In my posts I simply wanted to reconstruct what's going on behind the scenes
to make something understandable (also for myself!),
classical consumer considerations cannot explain.

Best regards,
Bernhard

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 13, 2011 at 7:33:44 pm

Bernhard, I think that you have a very good point. Marketing not only gains new customers, but legitimizes the product for current owners.

I think a few people have hinted about this next point over the last couple of years; when a company like Artel does not does not do a good job of marketing a product like Media 100, that inaction sends negative vibes. I am always thinking in the back of my mind, is Boris really committed to Media 100? Will it last much longer? I understand that Boris has a tie to Media 100 dating back to the beginnings of the software. Perhaps he sees a duty in keeping it going. But my question is, does he have the passion to see it succeed?

We've been on this conversation for a few days now, and as I noted in my initial post, whenever this topic comes up, Boris and the company reps go silent...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:12:30 pm

Only three of us took an interest in this thread, that must say something and does not auger well for the future I have to say.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:39:45 pm

[Michael Slowe] "Only three of us took an interest in this thread"

Ummm... actually I count four of us. I think one of the most valuable insights offered in this thread was:

[Bernhard Grininger] "Marketing not only is something
to gain new customers, but also a form of legitimation
for current ones."

I too have seen the eye rolls when I tell others in the business that I edit primarily with Media 100. Then I have to explain that if they haven't seen it since the turn of the century and if they haven't used it head-to-head with another NLE then the superior airs they take on are hardly justified.

But the fact of the matter is -- I assume -- Boris makes one hell of a lot more money off the plug-in side of their business so what's the percentage of, as a company offering a competitive product, getting in the face of the other NLEs who bundle Boris products?

Sad, but probably true.

Return to posts index

Peter DeArmond
on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:21:22 pm

Rest assured that many more are reading this thread with interest. I love my Media 100 and will continue using it, but like others I have concerns about both marketing and product development. Is this even a 64-bit app? Has it been rebuilt with Cocoa? Of greater concern is the dearth of plug-in development for Media 100. Look at ToolFarm, FXFactory and others (Boris!!!), and you'll find nothing for Media 100 -- it's as if my favorite video program doesn't exist. Yes, I know we have Red, but... no outside vendors apparently see a profit motive to develop plugins for Media 100. These are serious concerns. I would feel better if we could hear about future development plans from Boris.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]