MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Media 100 and my hair

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Melodie MyersMedia 100 and my hair
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:11:26 am

Hello all:

I'm new to Media 100 and for the most part a video editor novice, so patience is in order --

I bought Media 100 about a month ago, super excited, despite the puzzled looks on everyone's face that I told about it --so this is the first weekend I've really had time to sit down and work with it -- honestly, I'm frustrated, there's just very little information or user support documentation available-- well I own it now, so I just might pull out every strand of my hair over the next few months working through this application...

Am I missing something -- or are major features and explanations of those features absent from the user manual ? Is there something that wasn't included with the packaged program that I need to download? In this case, -- multiclip -- yes, I've watched the tutorial, but I would think their might be a little more written information on this --

Anyway, the problem which probably is something quite simple is -- I have two clips, I want to sync them using sync marks - I placed my sync marks, when I go to make my multiclip ... 'sync mark' is gray, it says disable because one or more clips has no sync mark... say what? -- now, I figure I probably don't know how to properly use sync marks, so I go to the user manual for some info on what it's all about and all I can find is the definition of 'sync' -- so then I go to the multiclip section, ha there is no multiclip section, at least I can't seem to locate it -- back to my multiclip, the only thing I can select is the 'mark in' selection, which *I think* I understand but I don't want to place mark in points -- so there we have it, my two clips are not synced after the multiclip is made - I can of course manually sync them, I spent a better part of an hour almost getting it in sync, but using and understanding what is provided to make life easier would be preferable.

Can anyone help me?
Otherwise, I'll put in my first support ticket for something that seems like if it was just a bit more info I could figure out myself -- this is just the tip of the iceberg, I'm still super beginner, looks like me and support are in for a long year...

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and my hair
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:05:03 pm

To set a sync mark:

- double click the clip you want to set a sync mark to load it into the Edit Suite
- Move the CTI (the time cursor) to the location you want to set a sync mark to (you should be in "Edit Clip" mode now
- Go to the "Tools" Menu ->User Marks -> Set Sync Mark (or Press CTRL-F6)
- Click "Apply" in the Edit Suite if you have set up your system not to auto-apply clips to the bin
- Double-click your next clip

If you want to sync multiclips via Mark In points instead of sync marks, you can do that also. Set mark in points and then choose "Mark In" in the "Make Multiclip" dialog

Return to posts index

Melodie MyersRe: Media 100 and my hair
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:00:33 pm

Hi Floh:

Thanks for the response -- after another 30 minutes of random clicking, I found that the sync mark was not labeled(by clicking on the user mark, a window opens with all of the user marks in that clip and the label area was indeed blank), once I gave it a label the Sync Marks were available as an option in multiclip -- and my clips came out in sync, I was as happy as I could be at 3 in the morning-- this was also true for the Camera Angles bit a few days ago, but it was more obvious to me since I could see that the Reel name area was blank in the bin.

I'm not quite sure if there's a setting that I need to apply to not have to do that everytime I want to Sync multiclips using sync marks, more reading is in order -- but I could not find that tiny detail in the user manual so far -- now I'm trying to decide exactly how obvious the answer to my question was I knew it was something really simple-- I don't want to be a nuisance on here with remedial questions -- everyone seems to be advanced users.

Thanks again for the information--

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Media 100 and my hair
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:17:42 pm

No problem, just post your questions. Btw., do you have a keyboard shortcut guide? Can be quite helpful. If you don´t have it, let me know your email address and I can send you a PDF…

Return to posts index

by on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:25:17 pm

No, I don't have one -- I've been trying to gather them from the manual, that would be quite helpful.

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Media 100 and my hair
by on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:43:28 pm

Just to let you know, there are various tutorials on the Media 100 website, broken down by Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced, on this page -

Among these tutorials, in the Intermediate section, is one specific to Multi-clip editing, and this tutorial, in particular, is very thorough and has helped several people I've sent it to. There's about 19 tutorials in total.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: Media 100 and my hair
by on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:40:15 am

Melodie, no, not everyone on this forum is "an advanced user" and certainly not when we all started. We're lucky to have Floh as our 'master' but really the only way to really get comfortable with the software is to work with it and gradually find all you need for your particular objectives.

Speaking as someone who graduated to digital editing from film (are you old enough to remember film - I suspect not!), I was in a right old state but was advised at the time that Media 100 was the nearest thing. I never regretted taking that advice but I must confess I had a great deal of practical help from my suppliers and others, some free and some paid. You don't want your creative juices impaired by having to think too much about the technical aspects so do try and get some practical assistance if at all possible.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:09:11 am

Hi Michael --

I actually make my entrance from the audio side of things, 10 years ago people were just happy if you managed to get some type of cruddy video with audio on VHS tape... not so anymore, being adept at both audio and video has become more and more a condition of staying employed-- I spend 50% of my day dealing with video --Media 100 was the first non-linear video editor I worked on(circa 1997), I went away for summer vacation during college one year and came back to find all of the hot splice stations and the huge editor that took up an entire room replaced by dozens of Media 100 workstations(so I'm not that young, I got a taste of the very end of those days)-- which is why I remembered Media 100 when I decided to buy software a couple of months ago -- I've used FCP off and on over the years, but with all of this business with the new FCP, I looked somewhere else and Media 100 won --

I'm probably a little impatient, I think I'm getting old:) I know what I want to do and I'm having that disconnect of not knowing how to do it at the moment -- I'm very excited to get to the stuff that looks like hours of fun on the Boris Red side, but alas I must walk before I can run -- so back to the beginner tutorials. Thanks for the input everyone --

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved