MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

General HD to SD Letterbox question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kris McMullinGeneral HD to SD Letterbox question
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 12:09:47 am

We are about to export our 1st 1080 HD project in Media 100 Suite, and I was interested in getting some general recommendations for export settings to produce the best quality SD letterbox product for broadcast. Our workflow came from footage shot on a Sony HVR Z1U, brought in via firewire through a Sony HVRM25AU HDV Deck. We would eventually be running the .MOV through compressor and finally to DVD Studio Pro. Does anyone have any suggestions about settings through this workflow for good results? Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: General HD to SD Letterbox question
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 4:37:37 pm

How are you going to broadcast? Tape or file delivery?

If you have DVDStudioPro, you most likely will also have Compressor, which can do good conversions from HD to SD; or you could conform your timeline in Media 100 Suite to SD (or work in a SD timeline with your HD footage in Suite 2 and up). If you need to go to Tape you simply could play out a SD version; either via the hardware conversion or with the Software transcode.

Return to posts index

Kris McMullinRe: General HD to SD Letterbox question
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 5:52:00 pm

Thanks Floh. Our current server for broadcast requires the .MOV file to be converted to .MPEG2 for broadcast. Our workflow out of Media 100 Suite is to export the project, Compress and burn the project to DVD through DVD Studio Pro, and then import the DVD into Corel Video Studio Pro to produce the MPEG2 file for broadcast on the server. Since there are so many steps involved, I'm trying to retain as much quality as possible. I had a previous SD 16X9 project that I simply dropped into a letterbox 4x3 timeline in Media 100 Suite, and it worked well. In this case, with the HD project, I'm hoping to use the best settings for both exporting to .MOV, Compression, and eventual burning in DVD Studio Pro. My last step would be the encoding into Corel Video Studo to create the .MPEG2 file, and then dropping it into our server for broadcast. Thanks as always!

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: General HD to SD Letterbox question
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 6:29:52 pm

As I said, if you have DVDSP, you most likely also have Compressor. Then you would be much better off by doing the conversion to MPEG2 directly in Compressor, since you have much more control over the result than in DVDSP.

Return to posts index

Kris McMullinRe: General HD to SD Letterbox question
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:34:24 am

Thanks Floh. I actually ended up exporting the file out of Media 100 Suite and opening it in Adobe Media Encoder. The resulting mpeg2 file was really nice! I'm just wondering if Compressor would have yielded even better results. Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]