MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Write permission error on import

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank CannWrite permission error on import
by on Oct 28, 2011 at 2:34:51 pm

I downloaded Version 2.1 and having problems with import - (file->import->files)
Could not import file... because of a write permissions error.

I have checked my permissions and they are all fine - I have also tried to import from various different drives with no luck. I have tried different codecs - still the same message.

Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Write permission error on import
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 1:04:51 am

Do you have your Project Media Destinations set to a folder where you have ownership permissions?

Return to posts index

Frank CannRe: Write permission error on import
by on Oct 30, 2011 at 5:07:30 pm

Yes - I have ownership permissions to the selected destination drive.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 30, 2011 at 6:54:49 pm

If the file you're importing is in a codec that Suite supports natively, it tries to add some data to the original media in-place. So check your permissions there, or check the "import media to the selected standard and codec" in the import dialog.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2011 at 5:26:37 pm

Dave - After talking to our IT guy I have some new information:

We edit to (and from) server based drives. Because it's a server base drive - we believe that the M100 import fail is happening due to a problem with the file locks or the Op-locks. Meaning (perhaps) the file is still open and locked from the read operation - before the write operation starts ... preventing the write operation with an error.

Is this plausible?

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2011 at 8:11:10 pm

That's plausible. Also, Suite needs the file to support resource forks, which some file server protocols don't allow. If you can tell us what kind of server it is, maybe someone on the forum knows something about it.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 31, 2011 at 10:07:49 pm

The server is a QNAP 859RPII+ and we are using AFP ( Apple File Protocol ) to talk to it.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Write permission error on import
by on Nov 2, 2011 at 7:19:58 pm

I get these errors on/off too when importing media from shared drives, even though I have full read/write permission.

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Write permission error on import
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 10:09:14 am

Are these files already in a Media 100 supported codec, so that they should fast-import? Or are they in a codec that requires a transcode/slow import? And since you say that this happens with Suite 2.1, did this work with an earlier version or is that a new workflow which you started with Suite 2.1?
I don´t know the server system you are using, and usually we don´t work from AFP servers that often. But when we do it usually works as expected, at least from our MacOSX Server system. Maybe there is something unusual going on with the AFP support of your server…

Return to posts index

by on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:01:28 pm

Floh - Yes I have tried fast and regular imports - both with errors. I have also changed codecs.

Import worked just fine in M100 7.1

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Write permission error on import
by on Nov 3, 2011 at 1:41:40 pm

When I get the import/permissions error, it's usually with non-media100-codec files imported from shared drives (I have full read/write access). If I copy the file to a local drive, then there's no problem. It seems like it happens more often with our new intel macs than our old g5 systems, but it did occur there too.

Sometimes checking the permission settings on the folder and doing an apply to enclosed items will help but not always.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]