MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Mastering Question

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Calhoun
Mastering Question
on Oct 14, 2011 at 2:20:58 am

I'll try again since no one replied below and the M100 tutorials site doesn't work.

I have an 82 min HD 720p ProRes422 program I need to archive. I can happily export it by chapter to ProRes422 (20 min is about 22 GB) and archive to BluRay disc. Audio export gives my an option to export Stereo Mix or Busus as separate tracks.

My understanding is:
1. Since it's a ProRes show, that exporting to ProRes doesn't recompress the footage unless it's been adjusted- color etc.

2. I need to export all 6 audio buses as separate audio tracks in separate passes since the Export Audio as separate buses option doesn't do anything- so 6 audio files and one video file

If any of this is incorrect or there is a better option for archive, please let me know. It's about 200 bucks in BluRay discs to archive everything and I'd like to make the most of it...

Thanks in advance for any input...

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
Re: Mastering Question
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:03:25 pm

I think your use of "Mastering" is confusing us. If you want to archive the project, including its original source media, use the Collect Files feature in the Files menu. There is no need to export anything.

There was a bug in the audio export options that was fixed in v1.7.1

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:57:33 pm

Thanks Dave for your reply. I've done a collect files and archived two language versions which spans 26 BluRay's for 680GB each. I'm trying to output a final version to a format that is more accessible both for drive space and ensure another backup.

I guess most people collect files and archive as a final but to bring it online with other projects dedicates nearly 1400GB of drive space should I simply need to simply encode to another format for streaming etc.

Maybe others just do that?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:08:51 pm

Why don´t you simply buy an (cheap & large) USB Harddisc and copy / Collect or export the needed footage and the master version to this drive? You could even buy 2 drives for the price of your Blu-Ray discs and keep them in separate places…

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Oct 14, 2011 at 6:52:01 pm

Thanks for the feedback Floh, I agree it can be put on USB drives no problem. Is the output option- ProRes the best bang for the buck? It's not recompressed should I output to that option is it?

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:37:56 pm

Any export to QuickTime is going to incur a decompress/compress action. Most modern codecs can handle this without significant generational loss.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Oct 14, 2011 at 7:50:23 pm

Thanks Dave, I assume ProRes is as good an option as any then. I'm unsure what encoders, other than Compressor, which isn't great for low bit rate QT codecs can handle a REF movie from M100. So an output to encode is likely needed. Is ProRes ideal in this regard or H264?

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Oct 14, 2011 at 8:22:38 pm

To be clear, if I export as a "Self Contained" from a program with ProRes 422 footage, it will export what versus as a Quicktime with ProRes 422 selected? This was discussed before and it wasn't ever stated what the difference was.

Thanks again for any input.

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 14, 2011 at 9:37:17 pm

Self-contained will export without a decompression step, so you will get the frame data as it is stored in the media (or rendered media). So this is the best way to avoid any generation loss. But if you have mixed codecs in your program, so will the export. It also can't do the options available with QuickTime, such as changing the color space or adding timecode burnin.

h.264 is a great codec for network delivery but it's not so good as a backup medium unless it's your last resort. It takes a long time to encode, and it's pretty lossy. And of course Media 100 Suite would have to transcode it back into an edit codec if you need to use that backup.

Just in case you haven't thought of this, using an export as backup will compress all the video layers in your program to a single video track. That makes it impossible to edit transitions, alpha titles, color keys, or just about anything else an editor does.

Return to posts index

Doug Calhoun
on Oct 20, 2011 at 9:17:14 pm

Thanks Dave, so considering it's ProRes422 (not HQ), self contained would be identical ProRes 422 codec? Similarly, if I export a QT ProRes422, there would be no difference other than what QT does to it? I'm not sure what the difference is still unless Self Contained outputs Animation codec or a M100 flavor of uncompressed.

Any insights?

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 21, 2011 at 12:01:00 am

If you have a program in ProRes, a self-contained export will be very close to a QuickTime export, and arguably better quality because we avoid a decompress/compress step. Color clips (or empty sections of the program) don't exist in ProRes, so self-contained export has to create a placeholder, and for that we use a 2x2 frame in the Animation codec. (Some older applications have trouble understanding those clips, which is sometimes a reason to use the QuickTime export.) So I can't say the files will be identical, but they should be indistinguishable when played.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]