MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

HD 1080i and SD 16x9 footage workflow?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Karsner
HD 1080i and SD 16x9 footage workflow?
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:35:09 am

This has probably been addressed at one point but I am unable to find a similar thread for my need.

I'm woking on a projet that has footage coming from different sources... P2 DVDProHD 1080i 59.94 and Standard Def 16x9 DVCPro 29.97. I'm needing to use footage from both sources to produce a final product on DVD.

Do I need to down convert the HD footage to match the SD or up convert the SD to "match" the HD?

What is the best software to use for the conversion? I have AE CS5 as well as access to Compressor.

Of course I don't want to loose the quality of the HD but need to maintain as high a quality as possible... as do we all.

Thanks
Bob Karsner

Bob Karsner
Destiny Productions - Kentucky

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
Re: HD 1080i and SD 16x9 footage workflow?
on Oct 12, 2011 at 3:11:05 am

With Suite 2.x, just create the program in the format that matches your desired end result (probably HD) and you can drop the other clips right in. The clips will get a high quality render when you're ready to master/export.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 12, 2011 at 7:23:17 am

Dave, following on from your post, is the downscale from HD in the latest Suite done the same way as in the earlier Suite version? Last week I had to downscale an HD timeline for mastering to tape. I opened an SD programme, dragged the HD programme over and waited for the downscale. The result was very disappointing compared to the old Media 100 downscale with the old (brilliant) HDx board. In making DVD's from a Media 100 HD programme BitVice does a great downscale before encoding so I don't need to use Media 100 for this.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 12, 2011 at 11:21:09 am

The old "Conform" scaler used QuickTime, which was reasonably fast but not great quality. The Suite 2.0 motion editor uses a completely new scaler which has optimized code for up and down conversions. It has a realtime preview mode but it must be rendered for final quality.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 12, 2011 at 12:44:39 pm

Thanks Dave, that's good news. Is the conversion once again being done by Hardware then?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:53:50 pm

The scaler code was written in OpenGL so it can be accelerated by hardware, but the current release executes the scaler on the CPU because there were problems with Apple's (or the graphics cards') implementation.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:25:18 pm

OK Dave, is the quality of the scaler no better than in Suite 1 and might it be better in future versions?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Oct 13, 2011 at 5:43:47 pm

We did a lot of work to improve the quality. It's much better than before. Is it good enough? Too many variables to answer that. Maybe others can offer their opinions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]