MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Suggestions using a macbook pro

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry CondezSuggestions using a macbook pro
by on Sep 22, 2011 at 5:46:35 pm

My son is in his 1st year of college and needed a laptop. Since he edit jobs for me and uses Media 100, I have some questions and needed some recommendations, any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Below are the specs from apple store:

2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
750GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

We use AJA Kona 3 in our edit stations, Is there an alternative output to using a MacBook?
Will it be capable of realtime FX in HD?

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Suggestions using a macbook pro
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:05:41 am

Assuming that your son's MBP is Thunderbolt equipped, consider one of the external expansion enclosures from Sonnet that allow adding PCI cards to MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Minis.

Also consider Matrox's MX02 line, AJA io, MOTU V4HD, and similar devices from Black Magic Design.

Return to posts index

Gerry CondezRe: Suggestions using a macbook pro
by on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:54:36 am

Hi Marcus,
Interesting, I read about the Thunderbolt which I'm not familiar with until I went to the apple site earlier. About the expansion chassis that you mentioned, that's really cool. If I'm correct, even the aja kona card can be used with the MBP as long as it has a Thunderbolt I/O, right? But, seems to me that MX02 Max with Thunderbolt is much simple, less bulk than using with the K3 Box.
BTW, you're too far in advance with the chassis, I was checking online and its not out yet. haha
Thank you so much for the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved