MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Big Headache - JVC-.MOV files to Media100

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry CondezBig Headache - JVC-.MOV files to Media100
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 7:37:41 pm

Big headache from last night miracle today?
Ok, got a very interesting experience here. I tried to import some MOV files taken from a JVC camera wrapped in XDCam format and all green, no video files after importing to M100. No way to view files. Tried installing the latest apple codecs and no go as well. A good friend of mine until yesterday(lol) told me to download VLC. Its a video viewer. Indeed, it worked and was able to view files. PROBLEM, all the files taken by a Sony HD camera with .MTS extensions were changed to .mov files. Upon clicking those files, no video or audio at all. I thought got really screwed and panicked, moved the RAID to another Xserve and all files worked fine. All projects made from Media 100 and bins turned BLACK. Cant play programs and get frequent bad video frame errors. At this point, CLIPWRAP giving errors as well when trying to import same .MTS files.
Next step was to restore to original drive again and tried downloading the XDCam Transfer software which might be the missing link within Media100, but cant import the clips also. (image)

Going back to the thread where Floh mentioned to install the latest Apple codecs without FCP, then I remembered that I have FCP sitting in a box and installed it. After installation, booted again and tried importing the files and played all BLACK clips also. Desperate, I did a software update and updated FCP to 6.0.5 and tried importing the clips again. The video all played in the timeline fine with the JVC movie files.
Shutdown many several times and Media 100 still does not recognize the files. Went home a 6am depressed. This afternoon, bootup - open M100 - tried importing clips - IT WORKED!

Return to posts index

olof ekberghRe: Big Headache - JVC-.MOV files to Media100
by on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:11:25 pm

I work a lot with XDcam and EXcam files both from a NanoFlash and EX3/EX1R cams.

The only way to work with those in M100 is to transcode either during import to M100 or before importing.

From the NanoFlash you don't need to rewrap, they are already .movs. They can be up to 280mb/s vry high quality.

From EXcams 35mb/s you have to rewrap using FCP and Sony plugin or Sony utilities.

I often use FCP7 to preview and select shots I want to import into M100 and export them as Prores422, then they quickly import into M100. You can do this in Sonys XDcam transfer as well.

I would love to see native XDcam in M100, but it is not here yet.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved