MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus WarrenThe Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 6, 2011 at 9:47:42 pm

I was not able to "attend" today's live webinar on Media 100 Suite 2.0.

Those of you who saw it; what are your impressions of M100 Suite 2?

Return to posts index

Jason TowerRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:46:04 am

Any chance that a re-run of the webinar will be available for viewing? I too was unable to catch the show today and would love to check out the preview!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 10:06:59 am

It is planned to make it available for viewing. I tried to capture the presentation on my system, but unfortunately the application use along with the streaming software and the screen capture was too much, so I had to stop the recording in the middle of the webinar. But it should be recorded on another system as well, so hopefully this will be available for watching soon.

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:03:44 am

Well, it was great to hear Floh in full flow (forgive the pun) but quite honestly if you're not going to be editing media shot with the Red camera I'm not sure you will get excited with Suite 2. It's great to see Media 100 keeping up with the times and if they can attract the bigger post houses to return to them then it must benefit all us users. Red 5, being available with Suite 2 will interest many, but otherwise it will be for me, anyway, carry on with the earlier Suites.

Direct ingest of media from the EX cameras would induce me to upgrade, but that's a while away I'm told. Sony are messing about with their Transfer and Browser software so the sooner we can do our own importing the better.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:24:12 pm

Interesting. The initial announcement for M100 Suite 2 has Red integration as the lead item, but like you, that did not excite me and I am not sure, percentage-wise, the number of current Media 100 user who will benefit from the inclusion. I do agree that it is a needed item to keep pace with other NLE, but I still wait for that super-feature that launches M100 into the stratosphere. The other items in the press release appeared to be enhancements and improvements; welcomed for sure, but nothing to make me go "wow!"

Media 100 needs that really special, you-can-only-get-it-here type of feature or features to draw attention to itself.

With that said, I am curious about the new capabilities of Boris RED 5. Other than the inclusion of long overdue new BCC filters did Floh get much into the workflow and ui enhancements of RED 5?

Return to posts index

Michael SloweRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 9:11:55 pm

Well, what 'really special' features do you want? I find Media 100 as it is perfect for what I do. Good quality, intuitive to use, does all the editing functions necessary for film making in my view. New features have certainly been appreciated along the way, notably the two graphics tracks, audio facilities and many other improvements but I don't need new ones every year. I realise that they have to keep up in the market place, hence the Red support and for those that need all the effects Red 5 is probably great. Floh showed some new fancy filters but Red 4 has all I need.

Media 100 is great, if they think it needs improving then good luck to them.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: The Webinar for Media 100 Suite 2.0
by on Apr 8, 2011 at 11:38:41 pm

Hi Michael. Let me quote from Frank McMahon's review of Media 100 Producer 12.6 in Digital Content Producer: "Really, I find few faults with Media 100, but there's also little to entice me away from other desktop editors."
Those kinds of special features.

Obviously Media 100 15, I mean Media 100 Suite 2 is better than 12.6, but only in the fact that it now has more of the features that you would expect of a modern day NLE. Media 100 is very capable and very solid, but to the world at large, not very special.

I'm saying it needs some attention grabbing features. Who of you have not heard of Premiere's Mercury Playback Engine or Avid Media Composer's Script Sync feature (no longer included with the program it seems), Vegas 10's ability to work with stereoscopic 3D content, etc. I'm just saying that it would be beneficial for M100 to have some attention grabbing features that would certainly help boost sales and increase name recognition.

Angie Taylor in her book "Design Essentials for the Motion Media Artist: A Practical Guide to Principles & Techniques" just released in October of last year refers to Media 100 as the "late, lamented Media 100". She apparently doesn't even know that the program is available and still in development . People who read her book may come to the same conclusion, simply because M100 doesn't have the name of the other major NLE players.

How many plug-ins have you been able to find for Media 100? How about for Final Cut Pro? No comparison. Some name recognition would drive 3rd party development for M100.

I'm not asking for feature bloat, just for some really useful, innovative, marketable, you-can-only-get-that-here features that will help the Media 100 market share grow and benefit all of us.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved