MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

School me on Hard drives setups...

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy RowellSchool me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 1, 2011 at 11:31:24 pm

Looking at getting two new editing systems. I currently have 3 Media 100's that all have SCSI drives attached via an Atto Express card. One edits in HD. All work well for their age.

Trying to figure out a hard drive set up for the new systems. Will probably be using mostly DVCPRO HD.

My IT guy says some of our sister stations are cutting HD promos via Firewire 800 and that's how we should go. I am very reluctant to go that route. He previously got an ethernet drive, but it's now being used for back-up, as it's too slow for direct editing.

So my question... What's good enough? FW800, ESata, SCSI or Fibre Channel? I'm not looking to get the BEST Necessarily, I don't need to go overboard... But I also don't want to deal with stuttering video when I'm trying to hit a deadline.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: School me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 2:51:07 pm

SCSI is more or less dead
FibreChannel is great (especially since you can create setups with multiple systems accessing the same drives), but it is pretty expensive
FireWire800 is good for editing, but somewhat slow
eSATA would be the way to go for me if you need cheap and fast. Of course you need some eSATA cards (or connections) for your systems, and you (probably) need to turn off the systems for swapping drives, but the drives are very fast and still cheap. FireWire enclosures are somewhat more expensive. Or you get enclosures for your drives with both eSATA and FW800 connections; this way you would not need eSATA cards in every mac, only in those who need fast drive access.

Return to posts index

jeremy RowellRe: School me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 3:57:00 pm

Thanks Floh. I'm leary as I've always worked on SCSI and it's been flawless. My SCSI drives are way faster than my internal drives, and in my head ESata drives are the same as my internal Sata drives. I have an FW800 drive hooked up to my system to back things up on, but I would never consider cutting on it.

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that ESata will work well Before I make the leap.

Return to posts index

Andrew MehtaRe: School me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 3, 2011 at 11:04:30 pm

Am also thinking about this. Was doing some 720p editing recently on a software-only Media100 1.0.1 [later upgraded to 1.1.3] - my first HD edit, and it had real time playback errors [Macbook Pro, Unibody 2008, 4GB Ram, 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, Media 100 HD codec], yet I was using the internal hard-drive, which was 7200rpm, =S. Was it because I had no dedicated hardware such as MXO2, or was it to do with Hard-drives?

I need to buy a new hard drive soon anyway, and figured I'd go the eSata route, but wondered - do you have to do some RAID stuff with them to get the most out of them (have never made a raid before), or can you just plug in an eSata drive and start using it?

Return to posts index

Doug CalhounRe: School me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 3:19:00 am

I had SCSI drives for old versions but cut 60-90 min shows on Fw800 drives with zero issues. GRaid2's - 4tB drives are $400 or so....

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: School me on Hard drives setups...
by on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:19:32 am

[Andrew Mehta] " it had real time playback errors [Macbook Pro, Unibody 2008, 4GB Ram, 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo, Media 100 HD codec]"

If you are using uncompressed HD (like the Media100HD codec) you need a fast RAID. If you are using compressed HD (ProRes, DVCProHD,…) FW800 or eSATA is enough. There are only some rare occasions these days where I would use uncompressed HD

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]