MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

MXO2 LE and Media100?

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason TowerMXO2 LE and Media100?
by on Mar 17, 2011 at 1:25:40 pm

I noticed that the Media100 1.7.1 release notes do not specifically mention the MXO2 LE, only the MXO2, the MXO2 Mini and the MXO2 Rack. Does Media 100 not support the LE model of the MXO2?

We are currently using an AJA LHe with our Media100 system but are looking to upgrade to an I/O device that offers HDMI output along with hardware cross conversion so we can convert 720p to 1080i.

We could upgrade to the AJA LHi to get these features, but the MXO LE model is enticing because of the price and we do not need the AES/EBU connections and extra XLR & RCA outputs that the MXO2 model offers.

I noticed in a post a while back, Floh mentioned that the Matrox MXO2 devices weren't as well-integrated with Media100 as the AJA Kona cards. Is this still the case and if so, what features could I be sacrificing with an MXO2 LE?

Thank you in advance for any input on this!

Jason W. Tower
Fiddler Films

http://www.fiddlerfilms.com

Return to posts index

Robert L. KopfRe: MXO2 LE and Media100?
by on Apr 12, 2011 at 1:01:44 am

I notice that there are no answers to this post (?). I'm thinking about the same things. If we get a new Mac Pro to run a new v2 Media 100 Suite, then we'd be looking at something like the Kona LHi with its breakout box. But we may get a couple of new Macbook Pros and pair them with the (announced today at NAB) MX02 LE units with Thunderbolt.

I am particularly interested in the part about the Matrox MXO2 devices not being as well-integrated with Media100 as the AJA Kona cards. There must be somebody who has more to say about that. I'd be happy to call on the phone to hear about it, if people just don't want to go on record here about it.

Another thing that I'd like to hear opinions about (assuming we were to go with an MX02 variant) is whether or not anybody thinks that the Matrox MAX technology is worthwhile, and for what workflows.

Return to posts index

Brent JeffersRe: MXO2 LE and Media100?
by on May 1, 2011 at 5:17:07 pm

I've got the Matrox02 mini hooked up to my Macbook Pro 2.6 core duo with 4 gig ram running
Media 100 suite, The problems I'm encountering is that I cannot capture or edit 1080 on any codec, I get the message that my system is too slow and it just stutters along, I can only edit in SD, then it runs fine, when I contacted Media 100 support, they told me, yea you won't be able to edit in HD 1080 with the system your're running, I'm pissed, I spent all this money and I still can't edit 1080, Well unless I cross over to FCP, which I don't want to do, Im an old school Media 100 guy thats been editing with this software since early 90s on my old mac nubus system.Whats the solution?? Anybody know?

Return to posts index

by on May 2, 2011 at 7:10:11 pm

Didn't the Media 100 guys tell you what you'd need to do? I'm guessing that a newer Macbook Pro would maybe be the answer. I realize that may be expensive enough to give pause. But I'm about to buy a bottom-of-the-line Macbook Pro and a big external display. I hope that it will let me edit 1080, although that won't be what I'll be using it for initially.

Return to posts index

Brent JeffersRe: MXO2 LE and Media100?
by on May 2, 2011 at 9:12:35 pm

At the time , a couple of years ago, I bought the Macbook pro 2.6 intel core 2duo, and the Matrox 02 mini and the Media 100 suite and according to Media 100s and Matrox website, you would be able to to capture and edit in HD 1080 , Great I thought! Not the case!There is a a setting called "differed capture"that would allow you to capture in 1080 Hd, but it would it would take some time rendering what you captured, and once you tried to playback the footage on your program timeline,my mac would stop and stutter and then I get this message that my processor was too slow, so I had to go back and reset my Codec settings to SD 525,and do my entire project in SD. I would have been better off using my door stop G4 mac with my old system. I'm pissed cause I spent a bunch of money that still won't let me edit in HD.I wish I'd wake up one day with a brain that learned final cut years ago, but I'm slaved to old school and I have loved the Media 100 interface since 1995. I have so many video friends that try to pull me over to the final cut pro side.I'm hoping the new imac with thunderbolt will be the answer to connecting to the Matrox I/O and the Media 100 software will work.

Return to posts index

by on May 3, 2011 at 2:43:31 pm

Well I too, would like to put together a such setup, but using the new Macbook Pro, and Media 100, with the Matrox I/O. So I'd love to hear about your progress, if you happen to get there before I do. I will get back to you if I get my system together first.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]