MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Timeline creation problem (720p)

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben PriceTimeline creation problem (720p)
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 9:00:38 pm

Since I'm a slow adopter, I'm sure this is something 'easy'. However, I've looked through all '720' posts here as well as in other forums and not found anything that helps.

I have a client that shipped me a hard drive full of HD footage. The media files have the following properties (using 'Get Info'):

--------------------
Dimensions: 960 x 720
Codecs: Linear PCM, Timecode, DVCPRO HD (720p60)
Color Profile: HD (1-1-1)
Total Bit Rate: 121,228
--------------------

I can play these video files in Quicktime. (Although, iMovie doesn't recognize them as video.)

I can import any file into Media100, double-click the file, and play from the 'Edit Clip' tab. In the media bin, it shows the media properties as:

--------------------
Frame size: 1280 x 720
Frame rate: 23.98 fps
Aspect ratio: 16:9
Codec: Calibrated DVCProHD 720p60
Data rate: 50 Mbps
--------------------

The problem I'm experiencing is that I can't create a program to put the video in. My only 'Media Standard' options with which to create an HD timeline are 1080psf 23.98, 1080i 29.97, and 720p 59.94. All other options are grayed out. And, of course, if I attempt to drag this media into any of these timelines, I get the error 'Can not place [this type of clip] into [that type of program].'

I tried to convert the video into a file that WOULD be compatible with the options available to me by loading a file into the 'Edit Clip' tab and performing a 'File/Export/File...' It didn't work. Or, I should say, the export happened, but the resulting video file couldn't play due to bad frames. It basically locked up the Media100 and I had to delete the file from the Finder to regain control of the software.

I do not have FCP. (Yes. I'm sure if I did, I wouldn't be having these problems.) I was led to believe that by purchasing the Calibrated Software HD codecs, I would be okay. This does not seem to be the case.

Does anyone have any knowledge that they would be willing to share on this?

--------------------
My system specs:
--------------------
MacPro4.1
2.66Ghz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 1.6.2
Kona LHi

Thanks,

Ben

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Timeline creation problem (720p)
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 9:39:11 pm

Just select "New Program..." and you can choose any supported media standard.

Or, set your video input hardware to None and all the supported media standards will be enabled in the video input preferences.

What is your destination deliverable? (A tape or a QuickTime movie)

Return to posts index

Ben PriceRe: Timeline creation problem (720p)
by on Feb 12, 2011 at 10:50:09 pm

Dave,

Wow... Okay. Yup. That was easy. New program created and video happily placed on timeline. Feeling stupid now, but THANK YOU for helping. Is any of this included in a manual or on-line 'help' app somewhere? The last manual we ever received was in 2002 when we upgraded to v8. We didn't get anything when we purchased this newest version. I've even submitted a question or two to M100 support and never received an answer or acknowledgment.

I keep spending large amounts of time fighting issues that used to know where to look and how to fix, but now ... not so much.

For example, now that I have the video in a program and can edit it, the video won't output to my SD monitor (via SD-SDI). All I'm getting is digital noise/static. Luckily, my end deliverable is a movie file that the client can post to YouTube. So, I can just work off of the M100/computer monitor.

FWIW: In my 'Preferences/Video Output...', I have the settings at 'SDI-1: SD' with the 'HD to SD' tab selected. I would expect this to result in a SD output, but it doesn't. I have tried this with an SD-SDI connection to a DigiBeta deck all the way down to the analog composite outs into a BetaSP deck. No luck through M100. However, if I launch the AJA Control Panel, I can see that M100 is forcing the analog output to 720p under the 'Primary' output. And, although there is a 'Secondary' output option that I can select, nothing happens when I do, and there doesn't appear to be an alternative wiring option on the Kona card to access a 'Secondary' output. Again, probably missing something simple... but... Arghhh...

Also curious...
Has anyone noticed that the CTI stops working at 12hrs. on the timeline? You can make programs longer than 12 hrs., but the CTI won't go any further down the timeline than 12 hrs.

Okay, have to get back to work.

Thanks!!!

Ben

---------------------
MacPro4.1
2.66Ghz Quad-core Xeon
3GB RAM
Media100 Suite 1.6.2
Kona LHi
---------------------

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Timeline creation problem (720p)
by on Feb 13, 2011 at 5:47:17 am

The AJA hardware can't output 720p23.98 so that's why you don't see anything. We could maybe get it to cross-convert to a different standard but the issue hasn't come up much.

Programs have always had a 12 hour limit, but I have a hard time imagining someone really needing a longer duration. You can set the program start time too.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]