MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Faster Rendering on MacBook Pro

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Warren
Faster Rendering on MacBook Pro
on Feb 6, 2011 at 11:08:56 pm

Is there a way to speed up rendering on a MacBook Pro using a second computer or external rendering setup (like Boxx Technologies renderBOXX)?

I am getting frustrated by the long render times in Media 100 and I am looking for a solution. Yes, I could by a faster computer with more RAM etc. but I am wondering if there is a way to add (for instance) a MacMini or 2 or even an inexpensive PC to help with the render times.

Thanks for your time.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
Re: Faster Rendering on MacBook Pro
on Feb 7, 2011 at 2:45:12 pm

[Marcus Warren] "I am getting frustrated by the long render times in Media 100 and I am looking for a solution"

What kind of render times do you see? There are some things that e.g. can be sped up by having enough RAM and fast harddrives. Other parts could be faster by having something like an MXO2 with the MPEG4 encoding board (if your MPEG4 encodes are too slow). Other parts can only be made quicker with newer CPUs and/or more processors.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Feb 7, 2011 at 10:48:55 pm

I am editing standard def DV,(no MPEG4 encodes)and using a lot of filters, moves, etc. for text effects and other effects. As I mentioned in the original post, I am aware that I could purchase a faster computer with more RAM. I also mentioned that I am looking for a device that will work *with* my MacBook Pro (like a Boxx renderPRO which, unfortunately, is $2K minimum and sky rockets from there). I am using a FireWire 800 drive. I have an eSATA drive that I have not yet pressed into service. Render times can be in the 20-30 minutes range or longer for a 3-4 minute piece.

The most frustrating part is the re-rendering that occurs when I make changes.

It would be great if Media 100 rendered in the background...

As i mentioned in the original email, I wonder if networking a MacMini or inexpensive PC would work or is even possible with Media 100/RED, using either as a "render farm".

The max RAM on my MBP is 4 GB, according to Apple; but I understand that my particular model my be able to handle more.

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Feb 8, 2011 at 7:32:41 pm

Your renders are CPU-bound on that system, so more memory won't help. We've never thought about supporting a render farm because there hasn't been any call for it. A new MacBook Pro with an i7 processor would help you but it's not cheap.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Feb 9, 2011 at 1:28:11 am

Thanks for the reply and please accept this as an official request for Render Farm support in all of your products.

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:03:05 pm

Oh, and while I'm at it, consider this an official request for background rendering in Media 100 Suite as well.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthy
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:27:08 pm

Ok. Did you take the survey?

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Feb 14, 2011 at 10:24:08 pm

Yes I did, a few weeks back. And since it won't let me take it again/make additions I can't add any other suggestions. So I am depending on you to get the word through...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]