MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Slot position

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Griffin
Slot position
on Dec 23, 2010 at 6:33:08 pm

I just ordered a Matrox H.264 compression card to add to our primary system. Does anyone know if there is a correct slot for it to be put into and/or does it have any effect on the slot order of the other cards?

Also, does it have any effect on H.264 encoding for Media 100? Not a primary concern as we getting it primarily for Compressor and/or Adobe Media Encoder use where it SCREAMS.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Slot position
on Dec 23, 2010 at 8:55:34 pm

I think slots are only legal at Arundel Mills.

-Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:12:45 pm

Way to go, Ty. A joke that a fraction of a fraction of a percent of our fellow Bovines will get. And you're not even a Media 100 User!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:21:31 pm

NIck,

Are there any Media 100s out there anymore?

I did hear from a friend recently who is looking for parts for a "green screen" AMS AudioFile. Now THAT's obsolete.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:41:59 pm

Funny boy. Fact of the matter is for the past few years Media 100 has been coming out with new features about twice as often as Final Cut Pro. It's also been speculated that there will be another new version sometime this spring. And anytime you'd like to do a little side-by-side shoot out at my place I'll be happy to set up identical projects in both FCP and M100 and we'll see who gets more done. Remember I've used both and greatly favor M100 as the result of informed choice.

The major difference from a hardware standpoint is that Media 100 corporately offered very specific advice on which slots should be used for the i/o card, the RAID and the video card to obtain maximum performance. Not sure if this will matter or be affected by the compression card, hence the original question.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 24, 2010 at 4:10:47 pm

My most sincere apologies to all media 100 users.

The slot position thing can be quite critical in other situations, at least on some Macs.

I went looking on the Matrox site for more info, but, as you probably know, Nick, there was no mention of card order. As usual, you are on the leading edge of technology and that's a good thing for the rest of us.

xmas best,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 24, 2010 at 8:01:24 pm

Well said Nick, I really can't understand what all the fuss the young people make about FCP, can someone please tell me one feature that makes it preferable to Media 100. (I know, possibly 'color' for grading?).

I'm afraid though the joke was lost on me, explanations please for the simple minded, remember to be charitable, it is Christmas.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 24, 2010 at 8:36:32 pm

[Michael Slowe] "I'm afraid though the joke was lost on me, explanations please"

The joke was no doubt lost on EVERYONE not in the Washington / Baltimore TV markets. Ty was referring to a huge referendum vote here last fall to allow a SLOT PARLOR to be built next to a shopping center named Arundel Mills. Millions was spent on TV by both sides. Please direct your groans to Ty Ford, c/o Audio Professionals COW forum.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 25, 2010 at 12:00:51 am

"young people"

::blushing with flattery::

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 27, 2010 at 11:39:51 pm

Michael, since you asked...

Notable features of Final Cut Pro that a buyer might consider when comparing FCP to
Media 100:

-Hundreds of dollars cheaper purchase price
-Much cheaper upgrade pricing
-Several top notch programs and applications included in the cheaper bundle that cover a wide range of uses
-Massive third-party support
-Extensive information about the product on the company web site
-Nested sequences
-Black and White matte keying on the timeline
-Easy rotation and scaling of clips and images without leaving the timeline
-Drag and drop effects
-Not tied to an A/B track workflow
-Better built-in chromakeyer (FCP vs Media 100 as opposed to what can be done in Motion and RED)
-If I remember correctly "track mapping" is much more easily accomplished in FCP than Media 100
-Better variety and more widely supported built-in codecs (the ProRes family vs Media 100 HD)
-More support from Boris for FCP than Boris gives to Media 100. Correct me if I am wrong but Boris' AAF Transfer and Job Slate are available for FCP but not Media 100. You could argue the pros and cons of having Final Effects Complete, for example, available for FCP but technically not Media 100 (since Media 100 is equiped with RED) but the truth is, if FCP users want to, they can buy Boris Continuum Complete AND Final Effects Complete AND AAF Transfer AND Job Slate AND/OR BCC Units plus RED.

There are other considerations that don't come to mind because it has been a while since I have done extensive editing on FCP.

Of course many of you are running Media 100 and FCP on the same machine so you are, rather ironically I add, able to take advantage of FCP Suite features (like Color and ProRes), but I am sure that many are like me. We just have Media 100 installed.

Interestingly, Media 100 builds much of its appeal on "blazingly-fast, high quality editing..." as mentioned on the Media 100 web site, but nowhere that I have seen on the web site is this claim actually supported (backed-up with explanations or examples of why working in Media 100 is "blazingly-fast"). Yes, I know many of you feel that working in M100 is faster than working in FCP, but don't you find it odd that the blazingly fast claim is not expounded in the company's own literature? Even if in theory M100 is faster than FCP, in practice an editor might be faster in FCP because there is so much more tutorial information for FCP. That means it could be easier to learn FCP and go "deeper" into the features of the program much more quickly. Keep in mind that M100 predates FCP by several years, so you would expect there to be so much more tutorial info and how-to books. Heck, are there any how-to books?

Now I like Media 100, and RED in particular. At this point I have several more years experience with FCP and freely admit that I am still learning Media 100 so I expect my appreciation for Media 100 to grow (provided the upgrade price does not continue to scare me off, and yes, Nick G., I know that Media 100 is used by professionals and thereby commands a professional upgrade price, but no matter what the over-all demographics of FCP users, I am sure that there are many more professionals using FCP than Media 100 and they are able to upgrade for significantly less).

Boris is doing a fine job developing M100 and I am very please that the company took up the gauntlet to keep this program going and improving. I am really expecting something great(er)with the release of Media 100 v. 15 (er, Media 100 Suite 2.0). Coincidentally, my enthusiasm for RED 4.3 continues to grow even as we await the release of RED 5.

Michael, all of this to say Media 100 is a nice editing environment, but so is FCP. Slighting FCP is not necessary, especially if you have not used it(I don't know if you have or not). Just continue to use and learn M100 and hope the BFICs (Boris Folks in Charge) will lower the upgrade price.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Dec 28, 2010 at 2:26:42 pm

Thanks Marcus for your wide ranging reply to my query. I was not aware that I had'slighted' FCP, it was just that I often wondered what all the fuss was about. Actually, not one of your plus points over Media 100 are of any interest to me but I appreciate that they might be to others and I manage to work in ProRes by importing media in that codec using Sony EX Transfer without any problem. Obviously now Media 100 will remain way behind FCP in sales numbers but not necessarily on merit.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 28, 2010 at 2:54:57 pm

[Marcus Warren] " -Not tied to an A/B track workflow"

Huh?? Media 100 added 99 video tracks in version 10. Personally I find the A/B environment preferable, using it 99% of the time for most things besides adding graphics.

[Marcus Warren] " -Easy rotation and scaling of clips and images without leaving the timeline"

I will give you this one. It's the one thing that makes FCP the faster choice when this type of manipulation is needed.

Now how 'bout we start a new thread on the merits of various religions and/or political beliefs?

Return to posts index

Marcus Warren
on Dec 28, 2010 at 4:19:03 pm

Nah. No new thread needed. At least when we are done here, we will still be friends. BTW I certainly did not mean to imply that Media 100 only had the A/B track workflow, only that there are things you do with the A/B tracks that you can't do (or can't easily do)in the composite tracks and vice versa, whereas (if I remember correctly) there are no such limitations in FCP; all the tracks behave the same. And yes 99 video tracks are great, and let's not forget that Boris RED features an unlimited number of tracks. So let's see, unlimited + 99 = er, unlimted!

As I mentioned, I am so glad that Boris stepped forward to embrace Media 100 and I expect its feature set and user base to grow.

Cheers to all.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Dec 24, 2010 at 10:44:45 pm

[Nick Griffin] "Does anyone know if there is a correct slot for it to be put into and/or does it have any effect on the slot order of the other cards?"

Hello Nick,

I have the Matrox Compressor card in slot 3 on my MacPro2,1 (8 core). Slot 1 is graphics card, slot 2 is Media 100/AJA card, and slot 4 is CalDigit raid card. AFAIK, the Media 100/AJA card normally goes into slot 3, but not on this model of MacPro. I assume that since there was nothing from Matrox regarding specific slot placement, it probably doesn't matter. Things seem to be working fine for me with this set-up.

Merry Holidays! (aka Christmas)

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Nick Griffin
on Dec 26, 2010 at 5:03:07 pm

Thanks, Gary. Exactly the kind of reply I was looking for. I too have an OctoCore with slot 3 open, so that's where I'll start.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Dec 28, 2010 at 8:27:31 pm

I am not an M100 user, but I am a long-time CompressHD user.

Slot placement is usually intended to optimize how much bandwidth goes to which cards. A graphics card does benefit from all the bandwidth available in a 16x slot (like in slot 1), whereas a RAID card couldn't (so it goes in a 4x slot like slot 3 or 4).

The CompressHD is a 1x card, so I'd be inclined to put it in slot 3 or 4 (both of which are 4x slots) so as not to waste a high-bandwidth slot on a card that can't use it.

Also, it doesn't seem to run very hot, so placing it near other hot-running cards shouldn't create any problems.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]