MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Hard Drive Problem??

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
family tree video
Hard Drive Problem??
on Dec 16, 2010 at 11:46:15 pm

I'm hoping someone may be able to offer some guidance about a current problem I am having with Media 100 Version 8.2.1.

I am editing on a MAC OS X version 10.3.9. The external hard drive I used for Media 100 projects recently died (disappeared from computer). I purchased a new Toshiba external hard drive. I hooked it up and re-formatted the drive (per Toshiba's instructions) so it would work on the MAC.

Now, when I try to save a new project in Media 100, I get an error message that reads "Could not complete the 'Save Project' command because there is a parameter error".

I also had a box pop up to tell me that another project is already open. I don't know how. I've closed Media 100 and even re-started the computer. One last thing....when the edit suite is in digitize mode, it is still trying to save the digitized video on the old disk.

Is there something I need to do to correct all of these situations?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Hard Drive Problem??
on Dec 17, 2010 at 3:38:21 am

[family tree video] "I am editing on a MAC OS X version 10.3.9."

More information on your hardware would be helpful. What model? How much RAM? Any reason why you're not at OS 10.4.1 and Media 100 8.2.3a? (If I recall correctly, this is the latest operational combination of that era).

[family tree video] "I purchased a new Toshiba external hard drive. I hooked it up and re-formatted the drive (per Toshiba's instructions) so it would work on the MAC.
"

Again, more information on the drive would help. Firewire or USB connection? Is it spinning at 5600 or 7200 RPM? Do the Toshiba instructions tell you to use the Mac OS 'Disk Utility" to format the drive?

Standard troubleshooting involves verifying permissions, deleting prefs, re-installing Media 100, running DiskWarrior if you have it.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:52:23 am

Hi Gary,
Thanks for writing. The system has 768 MB DDR SDRAM. The processor is a dual 1.8 Ghz Power PC G5. The new external drive is connected by USB.
I spoke with Toshiba tech support. He had me reformat the drive to an MS-DOS File System.
I deleted preferences and it didn't help. I don't see Disk Warrior.
How do I verify permissions or re-install Media 100?

As you can tell, I'm not the most technical editor around. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:54:17 am

[family tree video] "I spoke with Toshiba tech support. He had me reformat the drive to an MS-DOS File System.
"

This is not going to work. You need to format the drive as HFS+ to use it with Media 100 (or to write on the drive on a Mac in general)

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:59:51 am

Do you know how or if I can reformat the drive as HFS+?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:05:41 pm

Yes, in Disk Utiltiy.app (in the Applications->Utilities folder). If you want I could do it for you remotely via iChat or Teamviewer. Send me a mail if you need assistance via one of the tools.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:11:28 pm

Yes, that would be great if you could do it remotely. How do i go about that exactly?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:15:40 pm

[family tree video] "Yes, that would be great if you could do it remotely. How do i go about that exactly?"

If you read my last post on the Cow website instead of the reply mail you got, you will see two links (for Teamviewer and for my mail address…)

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:19:32 pm

I don't have Microsoft Office Outlook installed so I'm not able to link to your email. Do I need to download Teamviewer?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:22:04 pm

Just send me an email from whatever computer you have with a mail account. And make sure that you have Teamviewer downloaded on your Media 100 system (and that you have internet access on the Media 100 system).

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:25:21 pm

where am I sending an e-mail to? my e-mail is westfamilytreevideo@comcast.net. I don't have any mail accounts on the MAC that is hosting Media 100. I am downloading Teamviewer on the MAC now. It does have internet connection.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:30:03 pm

when it rains it pours!........the download failed. the message read "Mounting failed". Could it be because my mac hard drive is too full? I just got an error message saying the start up disk is almost out of space. How would I clean out that disk to free up some space?

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:43:36 pm

[family tree video] "Could it be because my mac hard drive is too full"

Yes, this could be possible. You definitely should have some space on your startup drive; maybe this is already the reason for your problems. Do you have media files on the startup drive? If yes, can you delete some of it (move it to the trash and empty the trash)?

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:47:57 pm

I'm deleting some files. I'll also try to reformat external hard drive to the one you suggested.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 10:16:52 am

[family tree video] "when the edit suite is in digitize mode, it is still trying to save the digitized video on the old disk."

How do you see this? Did you set the correct drive in the "Media destinations" window?

[family tree video] "Now, when I try to save a new project in Media 100, I get an error message that reads "Could not complete the 'Save Project' command because there is a parameter error". "

Try upgrading to Media 100 8.2.3a, which is the latest version of Media 100 i available. Maybe this helps. But overall I think there is something wrong with your drive setup. If you open Disk Utility.app (from the Applications->Utilities folder), and you select your new drive, what does it say? Is it partitioned/formatted as HFS+ or as something else?

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 11:57:50 am

Hi Floh,
Thanks for writing. I do have the correct drive chosen in the media destinations window. But when I look at the edit suite window in digitize mode, I know it's still looking at the old disk based on the amount of disk space available and estimated time remaining.

My new drive says MS-DOS File System. The Toshiba tech support guy walked me through re-formatting to that. Below the format, it reads "Permissions Enabled: No". Do I need to enable permissions somehow?
Thanks again.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:07:06 pm

In the Disk Utility, the Volume Formats available are:

1. MAC OS Extended (journaled)
2. MAC OS Extended
3. MS-DOS File System
4. UNIX File System

When I first connected the external drive, it was formatted to #1. He had me reformat to #3.

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 12:45:05 pm

[family tree video] "In the Disk Utility, the Volume Formats available are:

1. MAC OS Extended (journaled)
2. MAC OS Extended
…"

You would want to format the drive as "Mac OS Extended" (without the Journaled). This is HFS+ I was referring to earlier. So if you format your drive this way you should be able to store files larger than 2GB on it.

Return to posts index

family tree video
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:01:47 pm

Bullseye! I reformatted to the one you suggested and now everything seems to be working perfectly!

I can't thank you enough. I know you've helped me several times on this forum and I want you to know how much I appreciate it. I know just enough technical stuff to be dangerous....and knowing that there are nice people like yourself willing to lend a hand is definitely re-assuring.

Thanks again and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Return to posts index

Floh Peters
on Dec 17, 2010 at 1:11:57 pm

Great to hear that you are back in business. But you really should make sure that you have some space on your startup drive, otherwise many strange things can happen (including your Mac becoming very slow).

And now back to editing ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]