MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

XDCAM HD - Only the proxies showing up in XDCAM Transfer

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy TaplinXDCAM HD - Only the proxies showing up in XDCAM Transfer
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:03:27 pm

Hi All

I've been sent some XDCAM HD discs by a client and when they load into XDCAM Transfer (via a PDW-U1) I'm only seeing proxies and not the HD clips. I don't know anything about how the discs were shot or even if they are the original rushes - is it possible that the discs only contain proxies or am I doing something wrong?

I can't sen any options or preferences in XDCAM Transfer that would load only proxies.

Is there any other way to see what's on the discs?

XDCAM transfer 2.12
OSX 10.5.8

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: XDCAM HD - Only the proxies showing up in XDCAM Transfer
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:06:41 pm

That´s right, in XDCam Transfer you are only seeing the proxies. If you want to view the full clips (but why do you wan to?) I think you can do that via the XDCam Browser application. Not sure, though, since we usually only look through the disks via the proxies.

Return to posts index

Andy TaplinRe: XDCAM HD - Only the proxies showing up in XDCAM Transfer
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:11:14 pm

Thanks Floh

So how do I import the full res clips intoM100? When I select import it just imports the proxy.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:16:58 pm

[Andy Taplin] "When I select import it just imports the proxy"

Um, this should not happen. How do you see that it imports the proxies only?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:20:47 pm

It looks really poor quality with lot's of aliasing - not much better than the proxy looks - is it possible that it's just been shot really badly but I'm seeing the full res clip?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:33:05 pm

Pretty much everything is possible ;-)

First thing I would check what format the clips were shot in. You can see that in the information section of the XDCam window. Then do a "check for installed components" from the help window. Is everything green?
Next, how did you get the material? On XDCam disc?
Are the XDCam codecs installed on your system (is the codec reported in the XDCam window when you select a clip)?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2010 at 7:36:48 pm

Btw, the XDCam transfer software works in 2 steps; first the XDCam MXF file gets rewrapped into QuickTime by the XDCam transfer software, then the QuickTime gets imported into Media 100 into a codec of your choice. If you look into your media directory you should see either 2 copies of each file or subfolders; open them in QuickTime player to see the file before the Media 100 import; you also can see what codec is used in QuickTime player…

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2010 at 8:47:50 pm

I've worked it out!

The footage is NTSC 60I and my default M100 settings are Pal 25P so when I imported a clip it looked terrible!

All is well now, thanks for your help as always Floh.

I much prefer XDCAM EX where you can see the full res clips in XDCAM transfer...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]