MEDIA 100: Media 100 844/X Forum Media 100 Forum Media 100 Tutorials

Kona HDMI out: no signal

COW Forums : Media 100

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ross TokachKona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 6, 2010 at 10:22:22 pm

I have a Kona LHi, in a MacPro 6 core, it is all brand new... The system is barebones, fresh macOS. I have color bars on my monitor out, until I open media100. As soon as I open media100, the screen goes black and "No signal" comes on the screen. I have tried all three firmware's that are available, still no resolution.

Any ideas?

I am working with P2 footage, labeled as MXF, I have the proper codec installed to recognize the footage. I can see the footage in my bin, with the proper codec, it drops on the timeline, but nothing on monitor out.

"Oop, I think my render is done!"

Return to posts index

Dave McCarthyRe: Kona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 2:02:42 am

What have you selected in video out prefs? What is the media standard and frame rate?

Return to posts index

Ross TokachRe: Kona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 8, 2010 at 5:19:20 am

I have contacted Media100, they build a system identical to mine, they had the same problem. It is an issue with the new AJA breakout box's firmware and they are going to get an update out ASAP. Thanks for all of your help, I knew it had to be something funky.

Ross Louis Tokach
Motion Picture Assembly Artist
ArchFX Studio, CA

Return to posts index

Floh PetersRe: Kona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 7, 2010 at 11:27:59 am

As Dave suggests, you either could have selected no video output in the Video output preferences of Media 100, or you could have selected a standard that your monitor does not support. I would recommend starting with some SD PAL or NTSC media and SD output, and then working your way up.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2010 at 8:10:11 pm

I think this issue has turned out to be that you are using 720p23.98, which AJA does not support in the Mac LHi driver.

Return to posts index

scott sRe: Kona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 8, 2010 at 10:11:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your knowledge on this...
we have the same problem here...
and media100 just told me the same thing also that 720p 23.98 is not supported on the mac (but is on the pc?) for the kona LHi.

So what am I to do when I have an entire documentary shot in this format?? Any hardware support for this??Matrox?? We also cannot get firwire hd capture to work on our new system when importing footage shot on canon xlh1 and canon hv20 (20 hours of footage). This is very dissappointing...especially on a brand new setup just paid alot of $$$ for.

By the way...out of frustration tried the new imovie to make check input and firewire capture was absolutely flawless and smooth and realtime (vs jittery and loss of video sync constantly in my media100). Made a teaser in 15 minutes and laughed our heads off because it was so easy and we were so punchy from trying to figure all this out - Did I mention I bought all of this because my dual G5 did not support the new updated/hardware, etc...bla bla bla...does premiere pro, avid, and FCP have all these problems? (I love my media100 and just want it to work!!!!!)

Any ideas at all are welcome...
A) other I/O like MATROX or what does support 720p 23.89?
B) Why cannot capture via firewire like in previous versions??...

Running 8core mac pro
6GB memory
Media 100 suite 1.6.3
AJA Kona LH1 with Breakout box
esata card (tests at over 240MB/s read) to 4TB g-raid
external monitor to Samsung HDTV P2770HD

wasted 5 days so far on this...still working with M100 support on this too...we will post any results. thank you

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2010 at 12:17:59 am

Since AJA built your hardware, you have to ask them why 720p23.98 is supported only on PC, but that's what it says on their website.

What is your delivery format, i.e., are you producing a tape, or is the final product a QuickTime movie?

If you have to output to tape at 720p23.98, maybe the Matrox MX02 could work, but I am not certain of that.

If you have the option of output to tape at 1080psf23.98, you could conform your media. Or contact Media 100 support and mention this post; the engineer who might be able to create a solution was out sick today.

If you are outputting to QuickTime, does hardware support even matter?

What kind of Firewire capture are you trying? (I presume HDV.) If it's really unusable in Media 100 but simple in iMovie, you could use iMovie to capture and import the result into Media 100.

Return to posts index

Ross TokachRe: Kona HDMI out: no signal
by on Dec 9, 2010 at 3:19:21 am

All of the above are supported, the fact is codecs. Every company decides they need to come up with a codec, then they patent it. I am not going to mention names but lets just say a fruit.

When I spoke with the engineers at Media 100, they told me that they were unable to package the codecs, you must buy software to get them. Like, quicktime pro, final cut, ect.

As for 720p 23.9 they do support it in media 100. I have seen it with my own eyes, on a big daddy mac. The new AJA is capable of taking in HDMI, this is the best way to capture 720p imo, in realtime, unless you have a good capture card. I

have seen sync drop on the progressive captures via component. IF you go in with firewire, make sure you set a good pre-roll of at least 5 to 10 seconds, this will allow for the computer to buffer and get the HDV signal started.

I prefer to always stay uncompressed, so I trans-code all my footage at the beginning, into one format. If you start to lay down many different formats, the compression ratio changes. It's similar to sampling on a CD. The more times you chop up the pie, the smaller the chunks of good fruit and the more opportunity to get air into the pie.(That is my fruit>binary comparison, hope its not too deep.)

I like to keep my footage in its native format when digital, like R3D or P2. This makes for better blacks, imo. Then render online when completed. I would make proxies, but the client wants it cut online. My client knows Media100 and is comfortable with it.

We are cutting a doc with many different formats and we want it to finish out in one ratio and no pillars, so we are going to DVCpro and cutting live.

I like the Matrox! I don't own one, I would also like one of the new H264 faster than realtime encoder cards. Then I would cut everything at ProRes 4444, anyways. Good luck, thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]